Poll - should the forum remain? (no plans to close it!)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Should the forum/messageboards continue?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:59 pm

Yes, I use them often.
74%
Yes, I use them occasionally.
18%
No, I use Twitter or Facebook.
2%
Not bothered either way.
7%

Total votes: 117

kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Poll - should the forum remain?

Post by kpb »

jgriffin wrote:If there is any real hint that this forum will be closed down by the club (there is precedent elsewhere isn't there) then we need to know to organise an email and letter campaign.
If it is thought to be too close to home then the management have got very serious issues they need to address regarding their own perceptions.

What do the club expect fans to be discussing??

Do we have to wait until 01/07 to find out the reason we have been asked to vote?
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

kpbates wrote: Do we have to wait until 01/07 to find out the reason we have been asked to vote?
Now you are just being silly. We will not find out as soon as that!

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
paula123

Post by paula123 »

I can't see the club removing a forum which has over 7000 members, whether they post regularly or not.

jgriffin,i will be the first on your e-mail/letter campaign!!
Castro's no.1 fan!!!
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

I would like it to remain - it has an interesting mix of posters. However, if it were to be closed down it wouldn't be the end of the world as there is also the unoffy forum which, although a terrible format, would probably become a lot busier if this closed down.

I guess there is a view that having one busy forum would be better than two quieter ones, although this one has just about enough critical mass in terms of posts to be interesting and involving.
BarmyBamford

Post by BarmyBamford »

If the forum does go T over A how would relative tech duffers like myself find the unofficial site(s) as I do enjoy following ( some ) of the threads. If you pick titles and return to the topic list or skip a page you can avoid silliness/ unpleasantness like the off button for the TV.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

It could be the success of the forum that is the problem. Perhaps the forum has become too dense for the club's liking? I won't pretend to know anything about IT but I'd imagine that it might need a bit of slimming down.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

I think the forum definitely encourages people to support tigers and get involved. It would be slightly mad to shut it down. I get a lot of helpful info about all sorts from the forum and it is my first port of call every morning. If I didn't link to it every day I would be less likely to support the club as regularly as I would be less knowledgeable about upcoming matches, transport, teams etc. The other forums are clunky and don't have the same authentic appeal as this one. And this one means you can link quickly to tickets, the shop and everything all in one place. Much better. And Rizzo rocks. :smt006
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

do hope lots of people vote in this to give the result legitimacy.

Personally, I'd miss the forum a lot. don't post that often but find a lot of the information very useful and some of the 'debate' fascinating.

and no, I would not twitter or tweet or whatever it is and I will not sign up for facebook no matter what. never.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote: so much to make fans closer to the club.
You are supposing, jg, that this is what the club wants.

Maybe it wants to distance itself from the fans and their opinions. To remain aloof in the comfort zone of the sponsors and corporate hospitality?

Why else would this poll have been sprung on us with no explanation?
Still keeping the faith!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

BarmyBamford wrote:If the forum does go T over A how would relative tech duffers like myself find the unofficial site(s) as I do enjoy following ( some ) of the threads. If you pick titles and return to the topic list or skip a page you can avoid silliness/ unpleasantness like the off button for the TV.
Google? Plenty of rugby boards available for those that wish to view them, although obviously only two are Tigers-centric.

The unoffy, for those that wish to view it, is here:

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/list/s103.htm

Both here and there have their faults, but as one who stopped posting on here I would have to say that this forum (IMO) has been on a downward curve for some time.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

The forum should remain. Otherwise I would have to abuse myself :smt003 :smt003

Joking aside, it is a good source of information and the banter is good. I am sure it is just like the game itself, you can knock the lump out of each other on here but I am sure that if we met at the ground we would have a good laugh about it with each other.
It is 'policed' very well by commandant Rizzo!

I also dont believe the club is trying to close the forum because of the criticism of the club and coaches by what can only be considered a minority of the forum members!
Long live the forum
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

I only joined a year ago, but I have found it compliments my season ticket very well to be involved with all the talking points each week.

This forum has brought me closer to the club I support and to the game I love and it would be a real shame if this sort of outlet was not available to all who wish to follow the Tigers - and some of those who just follow the game like ZSF.

Yes, I agree its not perfect and some posts can upset me and others, but its a big vote to keep the forum from me as I will never tweet, or facebook, or find another way to keep this relationship with the club going & growing.

Although I don't usually start new threads, I have made an effort to do so in the last couple of weeks, as a lot of the discussions on here have gone 'off focus' and I have tried to get us all talking about rugby again.

I cannot wait for the new season to start and the opportunity this forum gives me to keep in the loop with like minded people would be greatly missed if it was removed.

If this is to be the end, then a big thanks to all for listening and responding - and a huge thanks to the moderators, who do a difficult job and I, for one, have not praised enough.
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Yaaaaar no me hearties.

Where else could I attempt to recreate the banter of the Crumbie mid week?

BTW I know some of the bickering recently has been tiresome - but the suggestion the forum might go is a bit harsh.
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
Artuin
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Artuin »

I would certainly miss the chitchat even though I have actually only just joined as a member of the forum. I will miss laughing my socks off at some of the unbelievable behaviour (or lack of) of the contributors. :smt003