Is this really an England Team?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Is this really an England Team?

Post by masopa »

I'm sorry, but is this really worth getting worked up about? All countries take advantage of the IRB laws / rules on eligibility. After all, if you can't game the system you'll be at a disadvantage.

I don't particularly like the IRB residency rules - I think it should generally be a lot longer than 3 years (up to 8 years, depending on your age) and I also think there should be a residency requirement (perhaps as little as 3 years) if you have to resort to a grandparent rather than a parent (or yourself) for qualification.

The issue with residency and, to a lesser extent, the grandparent rule, is that you can effectively choose to play for a country, rather than only play for your country. Is this what international rugby should really be about? I don't think so, but the IRB does and so them's the rules. There will always be legitimate grey areas (e.g. I am 100% English, my wife is 100% Scottish and my son will therefore be entitled - and should be, IMO - to play for either country, if he chooses to play rugby and is good enough), but that's not what most of us are talking about.

MJ is paid to do a job - do the best for England. He is trying to do that with his selection, which we might disagree with for a host of reasons, including heritage of players. But what I am more concerned about is whether the players we have in the squad are the best in their position or have the potential to form the best possible team. Yes, I'd like the IRB rules changed but that seems as likely as a fair citing hearing by the RFU...