Heineken Cup Draw today

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LeicScarlet

Re: Heineken Cup Draw today

Post by LeicScarlet »

sam16111986 wrote:LeicScarlet if the Scarlets can reinforce their tight five with some real muscle (a second row enforcer should be a priority) there's no reason they can't do well next year. Currently they are going to struggle with what the other teams in their group will bring to the table. Not sure if the backline will be as battle hardened as you make out what with Regan King going, Gareth Maule is supposed to be a good prospect though.
I am more optimistic than I have been for a long time, the young Scarlets coming through have something good about them. Regan King will be replaced by Gareth Maul/Scot Williams.... both excellent youngsters. Nigel Davies has been slowly building and his long term investments are now starting to pay off (as recognised by Gatland).

This RWC will give the Scarlets backs some good experience and they will be used to playing off a pack that is not so dominant..... time will tell and certainly the ML games on their return should give a glimpse of things to come.

I cant wait for the weather to turn cold again :smt003 :smt023
A Stradey Scarlet in exile
"Ymlaen Llanelli" - The heart & soul of Welsh Rugby.
>>RWC2011 = Bryce Lawrence (Gone: Saffers v All Blacks) & Alain Rolland (Gone: Wales v All Blacks)<<
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Whilst the Scarlets backs may be innovative when it comes to playing off the a not so dominant pack it may not help them come the big games in the HEC. The Scarlets have developed a good squad playing a very attractive brand of rugby but they will not see much ball against the big teams and will be ground down. It's not whole sale changes that are needed a massive second row enforcer and some propping depth (they were tested there last season) should see them become a much meaner proposition.
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

I agree Sam. Definately think Scarlets are heading in the right direction.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/st ... a=chromium

I've said it before but the overall English domestic/International calender needs seriously looking at to prevent our players being exhausted by the end of the season and in the build up to the HC final.It shown this season with players not just from tigers,that they were dead on their feet at the end of a tough season,and with the RWC next season it will be even tougher for a English team to win it.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

Completely agree kpbates, and I think it is a problem for the National team as well as the club sides.

One of the reasons Sir Clive Woodward left the England set up when he did was because he wanted to implement a big change to the structure of the club system and no one wanted to know.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

kpbates wrote:I've said it before but the overall English domestic/International calender needs seriously looking at to prevent our players being exhausted by the end of the season and in the build up to the HC final.It shown this season with players not just from tigers,that they were dead on their feet at the end of a tough season,and with the RWC next season it will be even tougher for a English team to win it.
This is far to difficult an issue for the IRB and Unions to get their heads round. I conclude that it therefore will not change in the foreseeable future.

Last season Northampton competed on two fronts - but ultimately failed on both due to lack of squad depth.

Tigers failed due to the inability of the coach to make use of the depth of the squad.
Still keeping the faith!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Sky are reporting that London Irish have a "striaight forward group with Cardiff, Edinburgh and Racing Metro". How do they work that one out?! Racing could be a good outside bet for the final and Cardiff are more than useful. They might beat Edinburgh!

As for Tigers, I think this campaign might be similar to the last one - especially if we make heavy weather of the away games. Ulster away looks like an especially tricky game - they're a good side and should not be underestimated.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Bertos wrote:One of the reasons Sir Clive Woodward left the England set up when he did was because he wanted to implement a big change to the structure of the club system and no one wanted to know.
Whilst that is true those changes have now, largely, been implemented by the agreement between PRL and RFU brokered (give the man credit where it is due) by Randrew (and Wheelbrace). In fact SCW envisaged a much closer relationship between the England coaches and the Club coaches which Randrew (and Johnno) do not yet appear to have achieved. Sorry to bring 12T into it, but in SCW's vision, the insertion of 12T into the Saxons with no (significant) prior exposure at 12 at Club level would have been unthinkable.

This has little to do with changes to the season structure though. As I have indicated earlier no-one in IRB or Unions has the intellect to get their heads round this problem.
Still keeping the faith!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Bill W (2) wrote:With this draw we should win next years HC!

Then again we could lose to Ulster and Clermont away and one of them at home.

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
I agree POSTIGER, many a slip is possible!
Still keeping the faith!
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

But seriously how difficult can it be?

If the FA/FIFA can organise Internationals Domestic/international fixtures without them both clashing then surely the IRB/Unions can do the same.

To expect players to play in the intensity of a World Cup and a 6 Nations competition in the same season and then go on and successfully compete in the HC is madness,no matter how small or big your squad is.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Not too bad of a group, hopefully we start at home to warm up, not away to the Italian banana skin.

Also hopefully we dont start away to ASM in the middle pair of games as ladies' night will do its usual trick and wreck our chances.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

kpbates wrote:But seriously how difficult can it be?

If the FA/FIFA can organise Internationals Domestic/international fixtures without them both clashing then surely the IRB/Unions can do the same.

To expect players to play in the intensity of a World Cup and a 6 Nations competition in the same season and then go on and successfully compete in the HC is madness,no matter how small or big your squad is.
You answered your own question.

The physical stresses in football are significantly less than in rugby.
Still keeping the faith!
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

POSTIGER wrote:Sky are reporting that London Irish have a "striaight forward group with Cardiff, Edinburgh and Racing Metro". How do they work that one out?! Racing could be a good outside bet for the final and Cardiff are more than useful. They might beat Edinburgh!......

Barnesy at it again? It just seems any rugby commentary/reports from sky are laughable..
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

Will the French equal the total of English final wins?
Will the Irish equal the total of English final wins?
Will the Scots show up this year?
Will any welsh sides reach the semi-finals?
Will a different French side apart from Toulouse win it...?
Will Ulster be the dark horse and make it an all Irish final?
Will Richard Cockerill still be Coach at Christmas?
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Richard wrote:Will the French equal the total of English final wins?
Will the Irish equal the total of English final wins?
Will the Scots show up this year?
Will any welsh sides reach the semi-finals?
Will a different French side apart from Toulouse win it...?
Will Ulster be the dark horse and make it an all Irish final?
Will Richard Cockerill still be Coach at Christmas?
If I am not allowed multiple answers then it is NO!

:smt009 :smt009 :smt009 :smt009
Still keeping the faith!