CAT Stand Match Day Atmosphere

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Yelphere
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

CAT Stand Match Day Atmosphere

Post by Yelphere »

Since its opening, this has been overwhelmingly disappointing. Compare this to the Crumbie - it is another world lacking in overt, voluable support - I just find it a very flat atmosphere for the vast majority of match time. The only thing it has going for me are the seats - more comfortable than the benches and a clear view. Might try and change back to the Crumbie - but those blasted stanchions! Any one else from the CAT stand feel like this?
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: CAT Stand Match Day Atmosphere

Post by BJ. »

The difference is the Cat Stand is far more open. The roof of the Crumblie is a lot lower and this almost works like a megaphone by funnelling the sound.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Well the Crumbie has always been a bit special and fans crammed in together always make more noise. The CAT stand is alright, comfy enough and you get some singing in there. The Crumbie will be redeveloped soon so you can go back to that side with more room and uninteruppted views. Just hope it doesn't effect the atmosphere and I hope the players still have to run through the crowd.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

You cannot generalize about the CAT stand - it varies greatly from area to area and I can assure you that in some games I haven't been able to hear myself think!: after all its capacity is bigger than that of some AP grounds!

And while we are on the subject of atmosphere and before someone mentions them, please don't knock the tartan blanket brigade - after all there are a LOT of people far less in the first flush of youth than even me, and their money paying for season tickets is as good as yours and keeps the club going.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

DickyP wrote:You cannot generalize about the CAT stand - it varies greatly from area to area and I can assure you that in some games I haven't been able to hear myself think!: after all its capacity is bigger than that of some AP grounds!

And while we are on the subject of atmosphere and before someone mentions them, please don't knock the tartan blanket brigade - after all there are a LOT of people far less in the first flush of youth than even me, and their money paying for season tickets is as good as yours and keeps the club going.
I have to agree; size does matter when it comes to creating a noisy atmosphere. It is also not helped by having a big chunk of hospitality seating in the middle where many of the guests are not regular followers of the game let alone the Tigers. Add to this the fact that people are often no longer sitting alongside supports that they shared games with over many years in the old stand and it is no wonder the feeling is different. It will also be different when the crumbie is redeveloped.

It was just the same when HQ was redeveloped. I can recall some wonderful internationals and 7's tournaments in the old wooden stands when bottles of wine and spirits were passed hand to hand along the rows including opposition fans. Wonderful :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

I sat in the Cat stand for the first (and probably last) time for the Glos game. Never before have I sat in a crowd where so many people seemed to spend all game in and out of their seats, up and down the stairs, returning with pile after pile of food and drink. Bear in mind this was probably the most exciting game of the season, so it wasn't as if people were bored. With all the coming and goings it was like sitting on the platform at the train station.
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

I moved over to the Cat stand from the terrace at the start of last year, and it felt a bit like "crossing the floor of the house" - a class traitor. The feeling was definitely more subdued than the bear-pit of the terrace, and there certainly were a share of tartan rugs on show. Perhaps most dissapointingly there seemed to be little discussion between groups. The feeling of the tight press that you get in the terrace wasn't helped either by the 5 empty seats in front of us, which have remained so all season.

As games passed though, it became clear that we weren't the only new arrivals in our area and people started to open up. The end of the season was certainly better than the start in that regard. I would say that what is needed is stability and time, to get to know people and be known, then people relax and react more to events on the pitch (of course, on the terrace the feeling of comaraderie is immediately more obvious, it's hard to ignore someone who has his elbow in your pint). After all, the view from our seats is brilliant, so there are no excuses for missing much.

One thing that I can't understand is the number of people who leave with a couple of minutes to go, even in games like Glos and Saints. What's the point in watching a game and missing the final minutes? If your that worried about getting stuck in the queue to get out, stay at home and you won't have the problem.

I do sometimes miss the atmosphere on the terrace, but I'm sure that the bit of the cat stand around me is getting better. I for one am doing my bit to raise the noise level!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

We know from a number of games where the atmosphere has been electric, most notably South Africa, that the stand can produce a great atmosphere. It is a case of the crowd settling and the team playing well.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Darc Tiger wrote:We know from a number of games where the atmosphere has been electric, most notably South Africa, that the stand can produce a great atmosphere. It is a case of the crowd settling and the team playing well.
The part of the CAT Stand I was in for the South Africa game was more like a morgue than a sporting arena packed full of atmosphere. Was the only time I've wasted money on a ticket for that side of the ground and I can't see me doing so again until they evict us in order to develop the Crumbie.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
sctiger

Post by sctiger »

I sat in the Next stand for about 2 years until it got redeveloped, and I am disappointed with the atmosphere in the new stand, being sat right by the corporate section. I am considering getting a season ticket in the Crumbie terrace for the season after next, but I'm unsure, as it would mean leaving my aged father with whom I have gone to the rugby with for years. :smt017
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

maskedsquid wrote:
Darc Tiger wrote:We know from a number of games where the atmosphere has been electric, most notably South Africa, that the stand can produce a great atmosphere. It is a case of the crowd settling and the team playing well.
The part of the CAT Stand I was in for the South Africa game was more like a morgue than a sporting arena packed full of atmosphere. Was the only time I've wasted money on a ticket for that side of the ground and I can't see me doing so again until they evict us in order to develop the Crumbie.
Well I had bronze seats in the CAT stand, and the atmosphere was one of the best I can remember.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

I sat in the the CAT stand(Block GL) 6 times last season with my wife and 4 kid's and thought the atmosphere was great especially against Saints! Admittedly the terrace has the 'proper rugby' atmosphere and is where you get a lot of the banter,but due to my lad being to young and wouldn't be able to stand for that long we have to sit down now.Can't make my mind up though whether to give the Crumbie stand a go next season?
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
LeicScarlet

Post by LeicScarlet »

The CAT stand is perfect, I always try and sit at the top so that you can see how both sides take each other on. Being at the top has an added bonus of free central heating from everyone below :smt003

Glad to see that Crateman has come out of the mosh pit :smt006
A Stradey Scarlet in exile
"Ymlaen Llanelli" - The heart & soul of Welsh Rugby.
>>RWC2011 = Bryce Lawrence (Gone: Saffers v All Blacks) & Alain Rolland (Gone: Wales v All Blacks)<<
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

I've enjoyed 2 full seasons in the Cat Stand and have to say that I think the atmosphere is good and the view (level with 10 metre line) fantastic. I experience the same group of people nearby and a mix of occasional / semi-regular visitors and away fans.

The downside is late arrivals, pre-halftime stampede to bars / toilet and early leavers, but thats because I have a seat near the end of a row and close to a gangway. However, the fantastic view and being able to see moves unfold more than outweighs those minor points.

Its a shame that not enough is made of the concourse , or the Reccie, on matchdays.
harry broggers
Tiger Cub

Post by harry broggers »

Patience is the key here........Whilst the Cat Stand does not enjoy all of the virtues of Next, or Members Stand (depends how far back you go..... such as the unforgiving benches, or the steelwork which never seemed very wide until it concealed a vital tackle, or pass....) It will accomodate around twice as many 'spectators' on an average matchday (admittedly not all of them are rugby fans, or indeed paying for the privelige) but most are and that is surely what matters. We sat among the tartan rugs etc in the Next for about 4or5 years, before moving into the Cat where the first year was awfully flat, but this season has been noticeably better... so only about 10 years to go then........ :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Harry Broggers
I'm typing & thinking at the same time......does it show?