Well Cockers!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: Well Cockers!!

Post by POSTIGER »

I've said all season, and I still firmly believe, that our biggest problem is the backrow. They are fine for great swathes of the season but in the big games we have struggled for possession as they have been outfought and outmuscled. Granted we've had injuries in that department but atthe same time are our backrowers as good as they should be? Will they be good enough to win a HC? I doubt it.

IMHO it was a mistake to let Lewis Moody go, forget his injury record and his wages - the guy had presence, an aura and a :censored:-mindedness that no-one left seems to have.

Which leads me to another point. People may see this as a lack of loyalty but I cannot see what Craig Newby brings that qualifies him as captain. In an ideal world he'd be a utility forward who could come off the bench and cover a number of positions. I think we are crying out for a top-class flanker to compliment the dynamism of Crofty with sheer brutality at the breakdown. Newby is not that man as far as I'm concerned.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

I think Newby has been great for us this year; in the line-out and around the pitch he has been a real presence. However, I do agree that we need a proper 7 who hunts for the ball at the breakdown.
It'd be great to have a Pocock type of player here. It's what I liked about Woods in his first season with us; if he can regain some of his mastery of a couple of years ago, I'll be happy!
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

POSTIGER wrote:IMHO it was a mistake to let Lewis Moody go, forget his injury record and his wages - the guy had presence, an aura and a :censored:-mindedness that no-one left seems to have.

Which leads me to another point. People may see this as a lack of loyalty but I cannot see what Craig Newby brings that qualifies him as captain. In an ideal world he'd be a utility forward who could come off the bench and cover a number of positions. I think we are crying out for a top-class flanker to compliment the dynamism of Crofty with sheer brutality at the breakdown. Newby is not that man as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with your general sentiment - we do miss Lewis - but I don't think keeping him would have helped much. Due to injuries, he hasn't played too much for Bath so same would have likely been true for us.

I also agree on Newby as captain. For me, any captain should be there for the whole game - Newby was constantly substituted in the last 10-20 minutes. The Premiership final being a great example of needing great leadership in the last quarter of an hour and actually having the captain off. Fair enough if a player is injured but planned/expected substitutes?

The no 7 and captain position needs to be sorted for next season. The new recruits will really add to the club but we still have a huge hole IMHO that will mean we will struggle in some games (and probably the ones that matter).