Well Cockers!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Well Cockers!!

Post by Bill W (2) »

iceman_19 wrote:I'm suprised that so many experienced posters, who's opinions I normally find to be very informed, have gone with the knee-jerk reaction of "sack Cockerill".

Stick with Cockers, let's evolve and move on. If lessons aren't learnt, then that is the time for knife sharpening.
With the greatest respect I have not "gone off on a knee jerk reaction".

I have suggested that Cockers needs help, and he may not accept that he needs help. He needs to embrace change - to his methods and those of O'Connor. If he can do this - fine. Indeed the key question facing the Board is how to get him to do this.

That is for him and the Board to resolve. But if they are unable to then his tenure is close to an end. IMHO
Still keeping the faith!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Crumblies wrote:-
Most of the criticisms on here are not simply knee jerk reactions to one defeat, and they are not personal attacks on individual players.

They are however constructive well reasoned comments which identify those issues/problems which many believe are limiting the development of many of our players and the future success of our club.

Whilst I have not played or coached high standard rugby, I have played and coached (with coaching qualifications) for many years a high standard in other sports

There are people on this forum far more able than I to analyse the Rugby detail, masopa, jgriffin, billw, 4071 etc. and so much of what they say makes sense.

In this professional era the DOR and Head Coach roles are very difficult and I’m afraid extremely tenuous, but it goes with the territory, particularly when the club is Leicester Tigers.

As I’ve said above these are not knee jerk reactions to one game it is a considered response to a season full of mystifying decisions, below par performances and lack of development.

To those who point to us finishing top and say we should be satisfied (this includes Cockerill), I respond what games have you been watching? I have attended every home game and most away games, and I can tell you that we were extremely fortunate to win a significant number of those games, e.g. Exeter, London Irish at home and Sale, Leeds, away, had those games gone the same way as Saturday we wouldn’t have finished in the playoffs.

Passion and self belief are just two of the necessary qualities required for a DOR/Head Coach, but when that passion spills over into unacceptable behaviour, blinds you to other alternatives and when self belief becomes downright cussed stubbornness and a refusal to even consider that you may be wrong, then that is cause for concern that the DOR/Head Coach are the right for the job.

If these issues were isolated incidents, such as one preferred selection over another then it might be acceptable, but when they have a consistent theme running through them over a period of time then there is a problem, a problem that needs fixing. As far as I have observed no one, including me, is yet calling for Richard Cockerill to be sacked, but there are problems he needs to address and he may not be up to resolving them on his own, in which case he needs help and advice, or maybe something a bit stronger than advice, leadership.
Top post. I agree entirely.
A life long Tiger
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

my opinion is we need a new BACKS coach. :smt039
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

gimme wrote:even more clap than trap

delete "g"

much nicer now
I am not sure what that post conveys.

A personal assault on another poster?

An inability to produce an argument that Cockers as DoR is not responsible for the teams performance?

An acceptance that Tigers must accept mediocrity as the standard?
Still keeping the faith!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rizzo wrote:
MrE wrote:Oh dear, all of a sudden the Tigers realise that that thier devine right to a trophy every year was all in thier heads and acctually they have to earn one.

Stop moaning about finishing top but still having to go through the play off's its the same for all the teams Tigers have ambushed over the years.

And it IS time to Cockerill to go, not because you lost today but because he has run out of ideas,everyone knows how to stop Tigers but today you came up against a team that could acctually do it,as they have done all season. :smt045
Have you just joined to be rude and troll the forum? If so, expect a ban shortly. Your posts are being observed.
I think the guy (or girl!) is talking sense. I would love a change for next season. Too much crash and carry, not enough pace!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
gimme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by gimme »

Bill, take a look at this...

Sat May 28, 2011 5:05 pm....that was the time of g post.......

already to rip the throat out, I wonder what post was typed up ready for the win result (that never came of course), anything to get an airing

moan, moan, moan, blame, blame etc. etc. etc. same old crapclap.

It aint all in Texas to be sure.

now please leave me to plan next season,
by the way Mafi is my hero, well one of them anyway, the rest of them all played last season for Tigers.
:smt015 :smt015 :smt015
that`s me. gme. let your fingers do the walking
Roll on Christmas, let`s have some nuts
AND
(don`t forget Sheila`s bread pudding)
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

jgriffin wrote:
iceman_19 wrote:I'm suprised that so many experienced posters, who's opinions I normally find to be very informed, have gone with the knee-jerk reaction of "sack Cockerill".

There are a few points here:

1) If we had won, would you be calling for his head? No. We didn't turn up in one match and lost. 2 kickable penalties missed, as the difference between having a job and being sacked? Get real. If we had won, you would be calling it a good season and issuing hearty pats on the back all round - this season has been a mixed bag of tricks, but plenty of good points to take forward.

2) Going on from above, it's how we move on from here. Evolution or revolution? I believe the best way is to take the lessons from this season and apply them next year, rather than replacing key individuals which may change the entire attitude of the team.

3) If we did bring in a new coach, it couldn't just be anyone. Leicester are at their best when we have one of our own leading (Richards, Howard, and even now, Cockers). We don't function with imports (Meyer, Loffreda). Name me someone who understands the Tigers culture who would be qualified to take over and take Tigers forwards. The only two names that spring to mind are Richards and Back, and I can't see them being here any time soon.

Stick with Cockers, let's evolve and move on. If lessons aren't learnt, then that is the time for knife sharpening.
1 - not one game, but most parts of most games, most of which I went to.
2 - If you haven't got the individuals or you won't use them then nothing will make much difference - not sure of the exact point being made, since almost all of the players have been involved for two years or more. Lessons have not been learnt.
3 - things change. and tigers' culture involves having sharp backs and a world-class 7, none of which we have at present.

Why can't real pinpoint constructive RUGBY criticism be met with like, rather than 'real fan, trust cockers, stop moaning, who cares' drool. If the above poster could please EXACTLY say what 'evolve' means in terms of back play for instance, then the debate would be progressive instead of bottomly circular.
:smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Get off your high horse. I am not one of these " the sun is shining, I'm a 'real fan' so I don't do constructive criticism" wimps. I am pointing out the fact that if this one game had been won, if Toby had nudged over 2 kicks, then you would not be calling for his head.

Evolve for me, since you ask, is to look at our coaching set-up in the backs - my suggestion would be to bring in someone in an advisory role who can throw fresh ideas in the mix.

Evolving is to look at some of our young talent and ensure they get more game time - as they haven't done this year.

Evolving is to look at key areas, like you mentioned, and either start blooding players (e.g. Everard) or make it a priority area for signing.

I can tell you what won't work - and that is the sacking of a coach who has delivered a hell of a lot more than his 2 predecessors (and in difficult circumstances) and expecting an outsider to glue all the pieces back together.

If steps aren't taken above to address where the fine lines which lost us matches, then that's the time to take measures such as overhauling the coaching staff.

And I'd appreciate it if you would not make such assumptions about what sort of a fan I am - like you I have seen almost every match this season, and want success going forward. This is simply my opinion on how best to achieve it.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

iceman_19 wrote:[Evolve for me, since you ask, is to look at our coaching set-up in the backs - my suggestion would be to bring in someone in an advisory role who can throw fresh ideas in the mix.

Evolving is to look at some of our young talent and ensure they get more game time - as they haven't done this year.

Evolving is to look at key areas, like you mentioned, and either start blooding players (e.g. Everard) or make it a priority area for signing.

I think we are all agreed these are three key issues that need to be addressed.

Does Cockers agree? And if he does not?
Still keeping the faith!
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

As I said Bill, then that is the time for knife sharpening.

We can't expect Cockerill to change strategy halfway through a season.

We can however, expect him to thoroughly review the areas where we fell down, and act on them for next season. If he shows an inability to take the lessons, then that's when it's time to change.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

things change. and tigers' culture involves having sharp backs and a world-class 7, none of which we have at present.
We had the best attack in the AP last year (most tries scored etc). We've re-inforced that with the broken field brilliance of Matt Tait and a back up scrum half of real class in Mickey Young. I think Cockers is doing pretty well on the sharp backs front. The world class thing is a big problem but everyone wants a class 7 and they aren't exactly in abundance and neither are they cheap. The wage cap restricts us, would you rather we sacrificed a big name like Castro to secure a class 7?

Personally I think we need an international quality defence coach. Sarries defence was awesome and we need that level of organisation brought back. Our attack looks good but our tactical choices have been poor on occasion, maybe an experienced defence coach and analyst will help Cockerill with this.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Our defence has been inept at times. Against weaker sides we can score easily enough and this has papered over the weaknesses.

Against sides with organised defences like Sarries at the weekend and Leinster in the H Cup we don't look as threatening.

It wasn't that long ago conceeding a try at Welford Road was seen as a catastrophe and to be blunt conceeding a try to Sarries (who's record suggests they are no great attacking threat) suggests we have made life difficult for ourselves. Our defence is not good enough - too many players get out of position or miss tackles.

The players can tackle (There's no Mauger or Varndell in the side any more) so it has to be down to organisation.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Sam wrote:-
Personally I think we need an international quality defence coach. Sarries defence was awesome and we need that level of organisation brought back.
And their defence coach is?
Paul Gustard Ex Tiger.......................

Now there is a coach who knows Tiger's club ethos.
A life long Tiger
TomR96
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TomR96 »

The Rugby Leicester Tigers play now is boring. It's all forwards, forwards, forwards. The fans would like to see a backs game. We need Pat Howard BACK! Or get a backs coach as head coach.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TomR96 wrote:The Rugby Leicester Tigers play now is boring. It's all forwards, forwards, forwards. The fans would like to see a backs game. We need Pat Howard BACK! Or get a backs coach as head coach.
Clearly you have not read Cockers article in the Mercury (see thread on disappointing season for details and discussion.

During last season Tigers developed an expansive entertaining style of rugby that with minor adjustments will be continued next season.
Still keeping the faith!