Well Cockers!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

g
Super User
Super User

Re: Well Cockers!!

Post by g »

I'm still here gimme I'm pleased to say.. :smt039.
gimme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by gimme »

that`s the ticket tigerinthestix, nice one
:smt039
that`s me. gme. let your fingers do the walking
Roll on Christmas, let`s have some nuts
AND
(don`t forget Sheila`s bread pudding)
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

kpbates wrote:
g wrote:Yeah a really great season.Diddly squat won.

What would you rather g,fighting all the way for silverware,playing in Grand Finals,Quarter Finals, or a middle of the table team with :censored: all to play for??You would then be insisting on a new coach every season.

We lost,it happens,move on!!
Now come on. I'd normally be the last person on this forum to defend g but...

Coming second in the AP and LOSING a QF in the HEC is simply not good enough. We are NOT a second tier team. We should be coming away with silverware every season. If we fail at that we need to be able to look back on our season and think, "we've had so many great performances, we've developed so much good talent, how did we not win?"

We can't do that this season. We have played a generally poor brand of rugby. Second best in many matches. We topped the table through destroying a few teams and scraping quite a few losing bonus points. That's ok, as long as we back it up by winning the knock-out matches.

So, while I disagree with g on pretty much everything she says, one thing is true:

We are Leicester Tigers. Second best is not good enough. It might be adequate on occasion if we've had a great season otherwise. This is not the case.
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

well I feel like giving up now.
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

salcombe bob wrote:well I feel like giving up now.
What a disappointing attitude. Losing shouldn't make you give up. It should make you redouble your efforts and do better next time. And if you fail to do better, you should keep trying until you succeed.

Anything except winning isn't good enough, but failure is only temporary if you turn it around and end up succeeding.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

g wrote:I have to say I never expected Tigers to win today. They failed twice against Saracens this season and apart from their game of the season ( against Saints) I never thought they would get the result today after looking at the teamsheet.

Maybe now if Cockerill is still in charge next season he does away with the conservatism and ditches the plodders.
You never expect Tigers to win, ever. You also claim in another thread that this is "what you've been saying all season" - you berate everything all the time so I don't think this is incisive Rugby knowledge on your part, more throwing enough :censored: at a wall and some will stick.

If we won every match with a bonus point, won the Treble etc - you'd still find reason to complain.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

One thing you learn in life as you get wiser & with more experience in life & business is never ever make rash decisions or statements in the heat of the moment.
Which is what is appears to happening here right now.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

Saracens won two more games during the season than we did. They played better rugby and deserved to win today. No complaints. Congratulations to Saracens.
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

Northenlad wrote:Saracens won two more games during the season than we did. They played better rugby and deserved to win today. No complaints. Congratulations to Saracens.
They also beat us three times in the AP.

Fair enough - they were better. This is something we need to rectify immediately and help us secure our Premiership title again next season. Better coaching, better tactics, better luck (with injuries) and better performances from some of our key, experienced players will all help.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I don't like to point the finger at one player but Flood was the main reason we lost today, two easy kicks missed and kicking
out of hand was dreadful. I lost count how many times they were able to run it back or he missed touch.
The Flood that played against Baaarth was a shadow of him today.
I don't think Johnno would have been too impressed either.

If he is going to be that flakey we need another top ten to bring on.
Time to get one Brace.
A life long Tiger
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Not good enough. Just didn't come together, and we regretted Flood missing 2 kicks he really should get.

Safacens defence was epic though, and Farrell handled things superbly.
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

Smudge wrote:I don't like to point the finger at one player but Flood was the main reason we lost today, two easy kicks missed and kicking
out of hand was dreadful. I lost count how many times they were able to run it back or he missed touch.
The Flood that played against Baaarth was a shadow of him today.
I don't think Johnno would have been too impressed either.

If he is going to be that flakey we need another top ten to bring on.
Time to get one Brace.
To be fair, the very aggressive defence of Saffas was the cause of much of his trouble. Likewise, the fact Ben didn't try (except once?) to keep the tight defence honest, also meant he got a tougher time. There wasn't much variety to our attack - generally just shipping the ball along the line.

All of this is down to tactics, rather than - necessarily - Flood's poor showing. Him missing kicks is entirely down to him, so no excuses there, although Farrell did exceptionally well to kick the conversion from the touchline. Had he missed that, we'd have been 2 points down and with the penalties in the final phases, who knows... that's the thing about what ifs - they're irrelevant as they didn't happen. Flood missed, Farrell didn't and we lost.

But I do think it's unfair to level the criticism at him as the reason we lost wasn't down to our 10. Poor tactics and Saracens having more go-forward and drive were the reasons.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

so you will all be getting your C.V's ready for submittal for the managers vacancy!
Its all very simple - Sarries won and deserved it.
As for Floody, his kicking has been suspect since his inclusion in England squad and was encouraged to change his run up.
Get to William Hill now with your 10p bet for Tigers to win 2 out of 3 competitions.
As a matter of interest IF Cockers goes who is available? Neil Back?
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="g"]I'm still here gimme I'm pleased to say.. :smt039.[/quote]

Yup, whin'g'er-in-residence!

btw, the most conservative team this season has just won the trophy.

I agree with DT - their defence was solid, and Farrell did really well, especially for a 19 year old. To think that he will, notionally, be Sarries no3 fly-half next season, behind Charlie Hodgson and Hougaard.
MrE

Post by MrE »

Oh dear, all of a sudden the Tigers realise that that thier devine right to a trophy every year was all in thier heads and acctually they have to earn one.

Stop moaning about finishing top but still having to go through the play off's its the same for all the teams Tigers have ambushed over the years.

And it IS time to Cockerill to go, not because you lost today but because he has run out of ideas,everyone knows how to stop Tigers but today you came up against a team that could acctually do it,as they have done all season. :smt045