How will they afford it?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

How will they afford it?

Post by physiodan »

Saints brought Ashton, Foden, Lawes etc into the team on contract before their international careers took off. When they come to the end of contracts and big money is offered and Saints still havent won anything (may win HC next week) will they be loyal or will they take the big money and Saints sink. I hope that the latter does not occur as I enjoy the games against them but they have some big names. Tiny, Hartley, Mooj, Day, Lawes, Wood, Myler, Ashton, Foden will all be ther next year.

Ansbro and Bruce have left leaving a little play but that is little when you consider the above all possible +300k earners. And could all be +500k in France or even Bath, Irish or Wasps.
neilf
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: How will they afford it?

Post by neilf »

I bet other teams ask the same about us
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

neilf wrote:I bet other teams ask the same about us
Probably but we have a history of winning trophies and superb back room staff and facilities which entices people to play for less. Castro for example!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

physiodan wrote:Saints brought Ashton, Foden, Lawes etc into the team on contract before their international careers took off. When they come to the end of contracts and big money is offered and Saints still havent won anything (may win HC next week) will they be loyal or will they take the big money and Saints sink. I hope that the latter does not occur as I enjoy the games against them but they have some big names. Tiny, Hartley, Mooj, Day, Lawes, Wood, Myler, Ashton, Foden will all be ther next year.

Ansbro and Bruce have left leaving a little play but that is little when you consider the above all possible +300k earners. And could all be +500k in France or even Bath, Irish or Wasps.
Don't think Myler is worth 300k .......

After the others you mention (8x300k), that would leave about 1.6m of salary cap left for the other 30 odd players in their squad - that's about 50k each, which I think sounds about right looking at their bench !! :smt003
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

I still think that players who have been raised from academies etc should be exempt from salary cap regulations. Ben Youngs might be a good example, brought up the Tigers way with great coaching etc but will now inevitably require a much higher salary since becoming England's number 1 SH. It would be a travesty if players had to leave a club because they couldnt afford players that are only where they are because of the investment of said club!

The same could probably be said of signing players for a pittance and seeing them flourish. In football that is a way for clubs to make money if they arnt so worried about getting rid of players who do well for vastly higher amounts than they paid.

Maybe the salary cap should take that in to account, the salary cap figure is what the player was paid when he first joined a club and doesnt move upwards if that player suddenly gets better!
#48 FTW :)
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Jay C wrote:
physiodan wrote:Saints brought Ashton, Foden, Lawes etc into the team on contract before their international careers took off. When they come to the end of contracts and big money is offered and Saints still havent won anything (may win HC next week) will they be loyal or will they take the big money and Saints sink. I hope that the latter does not occur as I enjoy the games against them but they have some big names. Tiny, Hartley, Mooj, Day, Lawes, Wood, Myler, Ashton, Foden will all be ther next year.

Don't think Myler is worth 300k .......

After the others you mention (8x300k), that would leave about 1.6m of salary cap left for the other 30 odd players in their squad - that's about 50k each, which I think sounds about right looking at their bench !! :smt003
But can Saints afford the full Salary cap? All the above could demand the plus side of 300k when they come to renew contracts. They were all brought in cheap as not getting 1st team experience at pre clubs or young with promise. As most are now at the top of the game surely there will be a sudden jump in wage increase and if not, off they may go to the lure of Euro's. Remember, Saints are fighting to increase the Stadium size and therefore may become a little strapped.
Lincs Stu
Tiger Cub

Post by Lincs Stu »

I heard a rumour that Saints were interested in signing Mike Phillips, but wouldn't (or maybe couldn't) pay him £250k. If they are not prepared to pay him £250k I struggle to believe that they pay those players £300k.

Moody, the England captain, left us for less than £250k at Bath, so I think anybody on £300k in English Rugby has to be the exception rather than the norm.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

physiodan wrote:Ansbro and Bruce have left leaving a little play but that is little when you consider the above all possible +300k earners. And could all be +500k in France or even Bath, Irish or Wasps.
Where do the salary figures of £300,000+ come from?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I'm willing to bet that Ansbro and Bruce were not on £300k combined. Wingers and utility backs just don't sign for such massive fees (generally speaking). Though they may be a certain saving with both of them going, Ansbro was not an international when he signed and will have been on squad player wages. Bruce may have been on more money as he was a first teamer and club captain previously (depending on when his last contract was signed).
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Ads677 wrote:
physiodan wrote:Ansbro and Bruce have left leaving a little play but that is little when you consider the above all possible +300k earners. And could all be +500k in France or even Bath, Irish or Wasps.
Where do the salary figures of £300,000+ come from?
As I said, possible! Ashton, Foden et al are not at these Wages at present as they were relative unknowns when they arrived. What I am say and in the title thread it reads "How WILL they afford it". They seem to have a lot of players who have come in as low earners, become top quality players and starting internationals, who could, not do, earn £300,000+.

If this occurs, will Saints be able to keep them and stay finacially afloat or off load a player and become a lesser team?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

They'll be forced to cope the same way we have. Sign good squad cover and try to find the next underrated startlets whilst releasing the expensive players when they cease being irreplaceable. Requires a lack of sentamentality and an excellent scouting network to constantly tweak your squad this way but Tigers manage it (just).
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

sam16111986 wrote:Requires a lack of sentamentality and an excellent scouting network to constantly tweak your squad this way but Tigers manage it (just).
Remind me again, who is Saints Chief Scout?

Ah that's right.
Still keeping the faith!
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

LessThanSte wrote:Maybe the salary cap should take that in to account, the salary cap figure is what the player was paid when he first joined a club and doesnt move upwards if that player suddenly gets better!
too open to abuse. :smt018 I pay the player £1 for the first year, then pay him £500,000 for the rest of his career and he doesnt fit into my cap figures. If he is worried about it I pay £1 first year then £1m the next year then 500K from then on. he gets same money!!!!