Cockers & Oconnor behaviour

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Cockers & Oconnor behaviour

Post by Qbec »

Indeed should all fans, Supporting staff, Coaches, replacements all be in a sound proof box & just the journalists out side of it so's not to upset their dainty ears.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Is it possible that Cockers could receive just a fine??

Has this ever happened before were a rugby player/coach has received a fine instead of a ban?
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

kpbates wrote:Is it possible that Cockers could receive just a fine??

Has this ever happened before were a rugby player/coach has received a fine instead of a ban?
I am pretty sure the answer to this is yes. But it is usually accomanied by a suspended ban.
Still keeping the faith!
rugbyexpat

Post by rugbyexpat »

I am an expat with a love of rugby and I was moved to register on your forum to express my views on the culture that exists at Tigers. It seems winning is everything and there is a disregard for what is great about the game.
I have 2 young boys who play rugby and football , with the former it is a joy to watch and also to see parents who berate a referee admonished by the crowd.

I depair with the latter , it has become acceptable behaviour.

Cockerill is a disgrace to rugby , he may do a great job for your club but to the sport he is a disgrace. I watched Manu,s punch and I hoped that Cockerill would say that it sometimes happens in the heat of the moment but it is unacceptable, instead he said he did not see it. Strange that he saw enough to continually berate the offcials . On your facebook page Tigers fans seem to think Manu,s behaviour was fine indeed funny?

I do hope that he recieves a substantial ban for the good of the game
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

rugbyexpat wrote:I am an expat with a love of rugby and I was moved to register on your forum to express my views on the culture that exists at Tigers. It seems winning is everything and there is a disregard for what is great about the game.
I have 2 young boys who play rugby and football , with the former it is a joy to watch and also to see parents who berate a referee admonished by the crowd.

I depair with the latter , it has become acceptable behaviour.

Cockerill is a disgrace to rugby , he may do a great job for your club but to the sport he is a disgrace. I watched Manu,s punch and I hoped that Cockerill would say that it sometimes happens in the heat of the moment but it is unacceptable, instead he said he did not see it. Strange that he saw enough to continually berate the offcials . On your facebook page Tigers fans seem to think Manu,s behaviour was fine indeed funny?

I do hope that he recieves a substantial ban for the good of the game
We thank you for your concern.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

rugbyexpat wrote:I am an expat with a love of rugby and I was moved to register on your forum to express my views on the culture that exists at Tigers. It seems winning is everything and there is a disregard for what is great about the game.
Thanks for your post. I do not visit the facebook page.

If you read the relevant threads (the one entitled Manu particularly) you will see a unanimous view that Manu's action was unnacceptable regardless of what provocation may or may not have occured. You will also see many calling for a substantial ban albeit that some temper that with the suggestion that bearing in mind his youth he might be shown some clemency.

To Tigers coaches, players and fans winning is very important. I am unsure how you conclude that we disregard what is great about the game.
Still keeping the faith!
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

You say disregard for the game??

Have you ever been to a game at WR?

It has got to be the most respectful place for a team to go anywhere in the premiership.

What ever sport you watch be it Rugby,soccer,ice hockey,Rugby league.....
crowds will always berate with the ref,its part of the game now,and you need to get over that.

Did you hear yourself what Cockers said on Saturday?? Or are you going on what you have read??

Read the 'manu' thread and show me anyone who has said what he did was fine!
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
rugbyexpat

Post by rugbyexpat »

Bill W (2) wrote:
rugbyexpat wrote:Thanks for your post. I do not visit the facebook page.

If you read the relevant threads (the one entitled Manu particularly) you will see a unanimous view that Manu's action was unnacceptable regardless of what provocation may or may not have occured. You will also see many calling for a substantial ban albeit that some temper that with the suggestion that bearing in mind his youth he might be shown some clemency.

To Tigers coaches, players and fans winning is very important. I am unsure how you conclude that we disregard what is great about the game.
and your views on Cockerills behaviour ?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

rugbyexpat wrote:
Cockers gets very excited.

However the only quote of what he said (as I have observed previously) is "Again, its not :censored: good enough".

I usually sit some 15 rows behind Cockers, I have been heard to exclaim "He's off side again ref!" and similar. I may even on occasions insert the odd expletive. Thus by my standards Cockers behaviour was understandable. Paul Ackford claims that his remarks were directed at Brian Campsell. If this is so Mr. Campsell one might think would have objected at the time (not reported) or will now complain to his masters. Indeed, if Mr. Ackford was so affronted one wonders why he did not speak to Cockers himself or seek out one of the Peters.

Once again the "story" is likely bigger than the events it depicts. Such is journalism. But Cockers does need, perhas, to exercise a little more restraint (as perhaps do I!)
Still keeping the faith!
chris4xy

Post by chris4xy »

[quote="Bill W But Cockers does need, perhas, to exercise a little more restraint (as perhaps do I!)[/quote]
But not too much restraint, that would be just too boring if we didn't point out the error of the referee's ways :smt003
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Bill W (2) wrote:
rugbyexpat wrote:
Cockers gets very excited.

However the only quote of what he said (as I have observed previously) is "Again, its not :censored: good enough".

I usually sit some 15 rows behind Cockers, I have been heard to exclaim "He's off side again ref!" and similar. I may even on occasions insert the odd expletive. Thus by my standards Cockers behaviour was understandable. Paul Ackford claims that his remarks were directed at Brian Campsell. If this is so Mr. Campsell one might think would have objected at the time (not reported) or will now complain to his masters. Indeed, if Mr. Ackford was so affronted one wonders why he did not speak to Cockers himself or seek out one of the Peters.

Once again the "story" is likely bigger than the events it depicts. Such is journalism. But Cockers does need, perhas, to exercise a little more restraint (as perhaps do I!)

Restraint Bill ? RC is the only man i can recall walking directly into the New Zealand Haka. I think this was shortly before his England career ended after writing his book criticising Woodward. The book was quaintly named 'In Your Face'. I think we can assume that at the age of 40, restraint and RC will forever remain strangers......

:smt003
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tig1 wrote:Restraint Bill ? RC is the only man i can recall walking directly into the New Zealand Haka. I think this was shortly before his England career ended after writing his book criticising Woodward. The book was quaintly named 'In Your Face'. I think we can assume that at the age of 40, restraint and RC will forever remain strangers......

:smt003
You may be right. But as a (retired) educator I believe in lifelong learning!

:smt002 :smt002 :smt002 :smt002
Still keeping the faith!
beech

Post by beech »

I must admit that I have not had the 'pleasure' of reading the reports of Brian Moore and Paul Ackford but I found Stuart Barnes' piece in the Sunday Times very balanced - I never thought that I would say that! By the way is this the same 'restrained' Brian Moore who wrote 'The Grudge' and 'Beware of the Dog' - the pot and black springs to mind.
tf22
nottslad

Post by nottslad »

Cockerill needs to calm down, however I have yet to see the actual evidence of what he was saying, swearing wise. If its just questioning the ref with shouts of "in at the side ref, how is that not a penalty! then he should join a long queue!!!
loud constant swearing however is unacceptable.
I fancy when the new crumbie is built sound proof coaches booths will be top of the requirments.
glass is half full
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

beech wrote:I must admit that I have not had the 'pleasure' of reading the reports of Brian Moore and Paul Ackford but I found Stuart Barnes' piece in the Sunday Times very balanced - I never thought that I would say that! By the way is this the same 'restrained' Brian Moore who wrote 'The Grudge' and 'Beware of the Dog' - the pot and black springs to mind.
Stuart Barnes' piece in The Sunday Times was not balanced. He accused Robin Goodliffe of lying (his word) and perjury (his word). That is not balanced - as I am sure by now he will have been advised by News International lawyers. Goodliffe may have not seen the whole incident but to suggest he lied about what he said he saw is, I would suggest, out of order.
Still keeping the faith!