Cockers & Oconnor behaviour

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

apps

Re: Cockers & Oconnor behaviour

Post by apps »

i listen to the game on the radio and both commaters said they that rc was having ago at the 4th offical for northampton going in at the side 5 times in a row.

Also i did hear it was well rc saying it's not good enough & another point which lead to this the 3 late tackles early in the game which none of the team of 3 picked up on.

So could rc get in trouble yes & no if i was him i would use the video tape as my proof of what they missed.

MT might get a citieing for the punch but as he was yellow carded that could mean 2 thing either a telling off or a ban
TIGERS RULE WELFORD ROAD NO MAN CAN STOP THEM IN THERE WAY TO MORE SILVER
The Cat

Post by The Cat »

If the Tigers' coaching staff were out of order, then I hope someone takes the appropriate action ............... however the day I give credit to anything Paul Ackford says or writes, is the day you can put me in a box in the ground.
Lancastrian by birth, a Sandgrounder by the grace of God
tonbridgetiger

Post by tonbridgetiger »

Unfortunately, the press and certain other members of the media in the words of not the not the nine o' clock news, like to jump on incidents like these and spout their certain aged drivel. Or it seems often drivel.

I don't know what Cockers said, but if and Matt )'Connor did use language highly offensive then they should be reported as we as spectators would. No doubt if it was as serious as the DT are saying, it already has. But people when under stress can say strong things even if they don't always mean to.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I'm not defending the behaviour BUT Cockers is passionate about the club, and he has got a ruddy good point. While perhaps Barnes wasn't at his best (Off feet, joining from the side, late tackles) refereeing at the top level all season has been poor. Cockers is right, it is simply not good enough. Something needs to be done.

I think the Club should fine Cockers for his outburst, I should think he'll probably get a stadium ban as well. Of course it could be over exaggerated, time will tell.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

mike wrote:Whilst I can in some way understand and forgive Manu's out of proportion behaviour he will no doubt be punished severely and learn a lesson . I cannot however in any way justify or understand the behaviour of Cockerill and O'Connor if Paul Ackford is correct - and I strongly believe that he is . Sadly this pair are serial offenders and to continually behave in this way is appalling . If they were employed by me they would be looking for another job - you can hardly expect young players to have a sense of responsibility and self control if you are completely lacking in those qualities yourself . The rugby today was first class from the Tigers - its a shame people will be talking about other things .

Well said. I totally agree about the comment about looking for another job - this sort of behaviour (and of course I am taking it at face value that it is true) brings the club and everyone connected to it into disrepute. Shameful and shocking.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
gracioussaintsfan

Post by gracioussaintsfan »

kpbates wrote:Are we the most unpopular team in the premiership now :smt003
Not by a long chalk. You've always revelled in your 'soccer fans watching Rugby' reputation, especially in the Crumbie Terrace so the Wenger/Ferguson hybrid performance from Cockerill suits you pretty I well I'd have thought?
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

'soccer fans watching Rugby' reputation
Well after thirty years of being a Tigers fan that's the first time I ever heard that !
paula123

Post by paula123 »

gracioussaintsfan wrote:
kpbates wrote:Are we the most unpopular team in the premiership now :smt003
Not by a long chalk. You've always revelled in your 'soccer fans watching Rugby' reputation, especially in the Crumbie Terrace so the Wenger/Ferguson hybrid performance from Cockerill suits you pretty I well I'd have thought?
Sorry was that supposed to be a complement?? :smt017
Castro's no.1 fan!!!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I've just read the match reports in the Observer and Independent, whilst they are not as vociferous as the ST, both report the alleged bad behaviour of the coaches.

It's a great shame and I hope it's dealt with properly. Cockers has many great qualities, not least his loyalty to the players and Club, but there is simply no excuse for this sort of petulant abusive behaviour.
Soggypitch
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Give the man a break!

Cockers is a great coach and we are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Barnes did miss a lot of cheap shots in the first half and Cockers was not the only one in the stadium who's blood was boiling. In such circumstances it is difficult for a man of the passion of Cockers to always keep a lid on it and whilst not condoning the alleged verbals they have to be taken in both context and proportion. There but for the grace......
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

scuff wrote:we were up in arms when venter did same

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... eport.html

The difference between Cockers/Oconner and Venter is the they got carried away with there gobs a bit,but never use physical abuse to express there passion.

And that is all it was PASSION.And if giving it some gob gets our lads fired up then bring it on.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

I disagree. I had my son and his mate in the Crumbie near the coaches last season and I was embarrassed at Richard's mouth and aggression.

I wonder what he would do if I was to spout off the foul language and belligerent stance in view of his kids ?

If he and O'Connor can't control themselves they need locking in a bunker during the game. It is not OK and it is not rugby.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Purebob wrote:I disagree. I had my son and his mate in the Crumbie near the coaches last season and I was embarrassed at Richard's mouth and aggression.

I wonder what he would do if I was to spout off the foul language and belligerent stance in view of his kids ?

If he and O'Connor can't control themselves they need locking in a bunker during the game. It is not OK and it is not rugby.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. One of the best coaches I ever worked with used expletives every other word but it was part of who he was and difficult to change. It was not my style but I could never fault his passion and commitment to those he was coaching and they in turn respected him to a man. Cockers is of a similar mould and I would take him any day before many I know.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
tonbridgetiger

Post by tonbridgetiger »

Whilst we cannot defend excessive, abusive language, it does happen when someone is stressed and incensed by injustice, of which I think there was a bit yesterday.

I saw an exchange between Ackford and Johnno, and Randrew and it looks like Johnno did well not do Ackford one. Let's face it as Paul Ackford was in the police force he is one who thinks he has the sun shining out of his posterior and has the moral right to pass moral judgement on everything. Perhaps someone should shut him up.

So, don't just base everything on what he says.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

I am not faulting their passion.
I am not faulting their commitment.
I am faulting their uncontrolled foul mouths, and their total lack of respect and grace during matches. It is not in accordance with the ethos of Rugby in my opinion. I didn't hear them yesterday but I did hear them at the Glaws game last year.