Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Manu

Post by TigerAlex »

gracioussaintsfan wrote:
Well, yes and no. The difference is that Tuilagi punched Ashton 3 times in the head, in open play for all to see, because he couldn't or didn't wish to control himself. Whereas you've seen a photo which looks like it might be an attempted trip, but of course as it's a photo the context is unclear at best.

So whilst it's true that one of the differences is that Tuilagi will be cited, and Dickson won't that's largely because Tuilagi did something worth citing, and Dickson didn't. But don't let any of this get in the way of your persecution complex will you?
Ok, you're quite right that you can't judge this incident from a photo (although if there is a clear photo of it, it's probable that it's on the replay too). However, I disagree with your trivialising of tripping. There is a good reason tripping is illegal and that is the possibility of breaking someone's ankle. A broken ankle can be career threatening. I don't think Dickson should be cited for it (if indeed he did try to trip Youngs) but I do think you should be more careful when brushing off things your team do as inconsequential and 'not as bad'.
chiefs10

Post by chiefs10 »

Great hit :smt041 from Manu - didn't see Ashton produce his famous dive though :smt031 which was a shame.
A moment of madness :smt013 which will see him banned following the citing and at only 19 he will only learn from this. Quiet word from Jonno possibly, to be more subtle (in a ruck or something) in the future, he managed to be arguably the greatest of all time despite the odd right hook.
Still a great prospect for England in the RWC and beyond
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:I cannot believe that Stuart Barnes is still claiming that Ashton did nothing to deserve a yellow card. Ashton attacked Manu from behind and in the head. That is extremely dangerous, cowardly and deserved the yellow card.
I agree - if you watch the incident again it wasn't 'just a push' - he got up ran 5 meters and attacked Manu on the ground: more than enough for a yellow.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

Having watched it again somethings strike me;

Firstly, the original tackle wasnt particularly bad. OK, Ashton didnt have the ball, but where Manu was its quite easy to assume that he was about to get the ball from the pop pass from Dickson (i think it was!), so a tackle had to be made. It was around the shoulders, and didnt slip up, perfectly good, if a bit robust, tackle.

Ashton took exception to it, which is to be expected and pushed Manu quite hard in the back of the head. Its quite feasible that Manu thought he had been punched in the back of the head, there certainly seemed to be an element of force in it. He reacted, admittedly badly.

Doesnt really excuse the punch which yes should have been a red. I do wonder If there had been anything said between them beforehand though.

Happily, seems Manu realised straight away what he had done and i dont think can have many complaints. There will most certainly be a ban, though id expect the length to be short given his usual good behaviour and possibly also the provocation (and presumably guilty plea!). A shame because otherwise it was a fantastic performance from him, possibly would have been MOTM if not for the punch.

As an aside though, what a game. I dont think anyone will be worried about playing Sarries....!
#48 FTW :)
johnh

Post by johnh »

First off I'd like to say that Manu deserved a straight red. His reaction to a relatively gentle shove was unpardonable.
I don't think the initial tackle was high (i.e. above the shoulders) and as Manu was on the 'blindside' of Ashton probably thought that he had the ball and attempted the tackle.
But let's get one thing straight, Wayne Barnes produced 2 yellow cards on the recommendation of the TJ. How can you Saints fans claim that somehow the entire Tigers team (and for good measure all Tigers supporters) are "cheats" for the inepptitude of the TJ? PersonaIy, I don't think Ashton deserved a yellow (although some might say his shove was a provocation) and had the 'correct' action have been taken Saint might have won. But it wasn't and they didn't.
It was a great game and notwithstanding the rights and wrongs of this incident, the best team on the day won. I hope Saints win next week.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

1. High, hard tackle from Manu
2. Retaliation from Ashton
3. Counter retaliation from Manu

Result: Two yellow cards
Effect on game - Nil

Nothing like the old mass punch-ups we used to see.

Get over it
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Old Hob wrote:Nothing like the old mass punch-ups we used to see.
Ah! The good old days!!

:smt016 :smt016 :smt016
Still keeping the faith!
scuff

Post by scuff »

Manu had to make the hit if ashton got ball would have been a good tackle

after watching it numerous times ashton runs and leads with his knee there is contact on manus back with ashtons knee, will ashton be cited for use of his knee?
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

" ninety nine !!"
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Purebob wrote:" ninety nine !!"
Well we were a bit late calling it; should have been about 10 minutes earlier given the illegal 'tackles' and rucking.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

How long has the citing officer got to report an individual?
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Will S wrote:How long has the citing officer got to report an individual?
Not quite sure but i reckon it will be tomorrow,then the hearing Wednesday.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

Leaving aside the wrongs that were committed by both sides it was actually the finest game of Northern Hemisphere rugby I've seen this season.

Manu - wrong and should be banned.

I don't think Johnson will worry about either player unduly. Read his biog and his opinion of Saracens Russell after he gave him a couple of uppercuts. I can't imagine Ashton bleating in the same way Russell did.

Saints are a great side and I hope they win the Heineken.

We should look to Scotland to see what happens when neighbours let partisanship get the better of them.
gimme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by gimme »

I reckon it was a case of mistaken identity...... I watched it closely and Manu definitely had his eyes shut on the last punch, he was just giving him a warning shot across the bows but couldn`t see ! ! ! :smt005
that`s me. gme. let your fingers do the walking
Roll on Christmas, let`s have some nuts
AND
(don`t forget Sheila`s bread pudding)