Manu

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

saint fan cai wrote:Leicester deserved the win they retained the ball well in the 2nd half, kicked field position well and resticted our tight 5 from driving and offloading in the chanels.

I think Hartleys late tackle on Flood wasnt his proudest moment but there was a pen given, Lawes maybe a bit late but just introducing himself and dowsons was fine didnt see anything wrong with the tackle on the FH he is a flanker after all.

I have no idea what downey was doing rolling on the floor but Manu's punches were disgraceful. The refs couldnt organise a :censored: up in a brewery honestly. 3 huge hayemakers and a yellow for both? What did Ashton do? talk about insult to injury. Begs the question what do you have to do to recieve a red card. Shocking display unprovoked and a terrible example for kids from "the golden boy". joke.
IMO Lawes' was fine - he was in the air and committed to try the charge down.

The main issue with Dowson was the fact it was a shoulder block - no attempt at charge down or wrapping his arms

I don't think you'll get too many people disagreeing with your assessment stating that Manu should have a red card
northamptontillidie

Post by northamptontillidie »

looks like manu picks up his behaviour from your coaches...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... eport.html

i hope you are proud of your club. well done again, but i still feel you shouldnt be heading to twickenham.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

The cold diagnosis of the Manu incident is thus:

- Completely over the top reaction that deserved a red card, no doubt
- He will probably get 6-8 weeks for that volley
- This will probably be halved due to him showing genuine remorse, the fact he is only 19 and has a good record so far (correct me if I'm wrong).

I will imagine he gets a 3-4 week ban.

Watching the game, he just lost the plot for whatever reason. Don't know what else had been done/said. Literally seconds after the incident he looked like he was about to cry - he knew he'd let everyone down. It was a red card, no question, but I've seen worse and he'll learn from the incident.

It's a shame because he had an excellent game otherwise. The game was 15 v 15 and in the 2nd half we were by far the better team - but credit must go to Saints defence.

On a side note, Youngs, Croft and Flood (from hand) all stepped up today - well done boys.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
pogue3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pogue3 »

I'm not hear to defend Manu but let's get some perspective here. There has been a hell of a lot worse on the rugby field than a few punches thrown.
Gouging and stamping on someones head are cases in examples.
It's rugby. Get over it. Punches are thrown by both teams players during the game in most games.
He'll get his ban, move on.
I hope it doesn't effect his chance for selection for England as I think he is a great prospect.
I've played in games with far worse punches thrown and players have been knocked out. A shake of the hand and a beer in the clubhouse and its over.
NorthantsTiger

Post by NorthantsTiger »

Get a grip. One report from someone who is not exactly known for his unbiased opinions. 'Bad for the game'? When Hartley was gouging and threatening someones career/livelihood im sure you were saying the same thing?

frankly i expected better from Saints fans. To be frank all happens on the rugby pitch, sometimes it goes your way sometimes it doesnt. Man up and deal with the loss. Manu will be banned, the rest is Rugby, stop whining and deal with it.
"In Arduis Fidelius"
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

northamptontillidie wrote:looks like manu picks up his behaviour from your coaches...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... eport.html

i hope you are proud of your club. well done again, but i still feel you shouldnt be heading to twickenham.
And when these things happen involving Saints players (Hartley perhaps?) in the future it will all be a storm in a teacup no doubt? So far I haven't seen any TIgers fan disagree that Manu should have walked, but some mitigation may have been offered, as it will be at future disciplinary hearing. Rightly so. I am proud of my club thanks, as I'm sure you are of yours, it doesn't that they are perfect, or that we expect them to be. To err is human after all. THe powers that be shall decide if further punishment is necessary, and if so, what form it will take. TIgers will accept it and move on. So should you.

Good luck in Cardiff.
Last edited by WhitecapTiger on Sat May 14, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
boon

Post by boon »

Darc Tiger wrote:Take it how you like boon. But Tigers totally bossed the second half. Only excellent Saints defence kept the score down.

you manage to make my point while also missing it - well done!

in the second half tigers dominated possession and territory but were totally unable to pierce the saints defence. only t'other tuilagi capitalising (well) on a loose pass when saints were in attack (for a change) led to the score.

tigers scored more points so win the game, i'm not arguing the toss over that, and ifs and buts about what might have been if it had been 14 v 15 wont change the result. but to suggest saints were stuffed and outclassed are ungracious and reflect poorly on those posters.
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Stuffed and outclassed? I never said that, but we clearly dominated. Saints had very few meaningful attacks outside of a very close first half. Saints will need to do a lot more than defend well to topple Leinster.

The best team 15 vs 15 won. And topped the league.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

[quote="boon]tigers scored more points so win the game, i'm not arguing the toss over that, and ifs and buts about what might have been if it had been 14 v 15 wont change the result. but to suggest saints were stuffed and outclassed are ungracious and reflect poorly on those posters.[/quote]

Saints were beaten but not stuffed. Tigers played better across the park today IMO, but the differences were marginal. It was a tough game and whilst Saints' defence was good, and yes we did fail to make the most of our pressure - which has happened many times throughout this season, Saints also failed to put themselves in a position to inflict sustained pressure and attempt to breach our defence, which went largely untested IMO.

Saints looked tired at (towards) the end of that game, this will have it's knock-on effect next weekend, Leinster will probably benefit and will find the incisive pass/run, that we failed to do, to reward their attacking efforts.

I would still prefer to see Saints win in Cardiff. No animosity from me so good luck.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Two fundamental points in this argument I think.
First, Leicester might still have won even if he was sent off. Where was he in the slick passing move that lead to the try? Was he the tall, thin fly half who had a glorious kicking game that meant Northampton couldn't get out of their own half? Was he part of a back row that had an outstanding game?
Second, why did Northampton not come out in the second half and say "right, every time Tuilagi gets the ball we're going to make him wish he hadn't" or "stuff it, that was a poor decision but we'll show them.."
I remember when White got sent off against Sale after about 20 minutes even though Sheridan was hitting him in the scrum AND threw the first, pathetic and failed punch. We went on to win despite that injustice. There was nothing stopping Northampton doing the same bar a weaker squad and poorer mentality.
seldomrong

Post by seldomrong »

Having been a tigers fan for over 30 years I have seen many punches thrown - it happens.

How was Wayne Barnes to blame he had his back to the incident.

Robin Goodliffe is a decent quality ref himself and clearlythought he saw Ashton land a punch which is why he reported it that way.

If a red card was issued every time a player threw a punch it would be rare for a game to end with 15v15.

Had either the ref or his assistant seen the incident how it was replayed on TV then clearly Manu would have got a red and Ashton would have stayed on the pitch IMO. A mistake but they happen - ask Brian O'Driscoll and the 2 Kiwi thugs.

Well defended today N'ton - I fear that you will come second next week also but good luck :smt023
Tigers are in my blood
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

How the game has changed. A few punches and there is screaming for red cards and bans. Blimey. At several fixtures (Bath Glos notably) there would always be a serious punch up at the first or second scrum and then a game of rugby would break out.

Today the Saints fans in front of us and all around were perfectly content with procedings. Mr Barnes did not allow the advantage to go on too long and so a rugby game of passion ensued. This thread populated with names such as Tigers is scum or what have you show that there are too many young roundball supporters in Northampton
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
tigers fan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigers fan »

Just watched the incident on Sky 3.
Ashton pushed Manu after Manu's tackle on him and Manu's reaction to that was disgusting 3 punches to Ashton.
Afraid he will be cited and miss the final, shame to end his season in this way.
But hopefully he will learn from this.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Wow. It must really hurt Saints fans to have lost today.

Some facts:

1) Manu lost his head and three punches to the head is a red card and probably a ban. The lad will learn from it.
2) Goodliffe saw it as less serious than we did.
3) Citing officer will probably be very unimpressed.
4) Ashton did shove the kid from the back.
5) Saints were no "saints". Nothing so obvious as Manu's situation, but plenty of rough housing.
6) Saints were dominated in every facet of play for fifty minutes of the game.

I suspect it is fact 6) that hurts the most.

I was also sat amid Saints fans today. Good banter, no hysterics, handshakes and good luck all round at the end.
sctiger

Post by sctiger »

Purebob wrote:Wow. It must really hurt Saints fans to have lost today.

Some facts:

1) Manu lost his head and three punches to the head is a red card and probably a ban. The lad will learn from it.
2) Goodliffe saw it as less serious than we did.
3) Citing officer will probably be very unimpressed.
4) Ashton did shove the kid from the back.
5) Saints were no "saints". Nothing so obvious as Manu's situation, but plenty of rough housing.
6) Saints were dominated in every facet of play for fifty minutes of the game.

I suspect it is fact 6) that hurts the most.

I was also sat amid Saints fans today. Good banter, no hysterics, handshakes and good luck all round at the end.
hear hear. :smt038