Vuvuzelas at Welford road

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Vuvuzelas at Welford road

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="tonyw"]We were actually in the Alliance and Leicester stand, it was obvious from their conversations that they were normally football supporters.
If the club want to encourage this why dont they put them all in a corner or preferably the crisp bowl.
RE the comment about telling the stewards,have you ever tried disscussing anything with them? :smt017[/quote]

What is a steward supposed to do, they are sold in the stadium by Tigers, so they are legal....Stewards can't do anything about it?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="tonyw"]They have banned them at football grounds so why the hell are Tigers promoting them? Instead of filling the ground they are liable to empty it!
I cannot believe what they will do for a few pounds, how will they stand if they shatter someones eardrum? Where theres a blame theres a claim!!!!!![/quote]

They are also banned at Twickenham
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

If someone had a horn near me and blew it in a toot toot, toot toot toot, toot toot toot toot. TIGERS. fashion to get a chant going I would have no issue, indeed I would welcome it, although I think a drum works better.

However if it is just mindless blowing especially prior to the game or at half time I possible would become irritated.
Although I would be careful not to discourage anyone loudly supporting the team as I am always much more cross with those who make no noise to encouage the team and then complain at those who do.
If one prefers peace and quiet and do not like shouting people etc. I have suggested in the past they may be happier watching from the comfort of their own arm chair at home with the volume turned down.

However I do concede that the Vu Vu zela takes irritation to the eardrum to a new level especially when blown in close proximity to ones eardrum in an indescriminate way by an individual who has no sense of timing!

I think the club must be selling these as on my way out the other day I noted children holding them and they were in club colours - I must say I was a little suprised. If the club are selling them,then they have no leg to stand on, in terms of policing their use.

However can I suggest a way of dealing with this:

Firstly purchase one of your own and put it into your inside pocket. Secondly when a child blows it down your ear, turn round and in a joking friendly way ask him please not to do it as it hurts your ears. Thirdly if he persits ask the parent in a kind and polite manner if they could ask the child to desist and explain in a calm and rational way why you have made the request.Try to gain the agreement of all the other people around you so that peer pressure has a chance to take effect. If your are given a negative or aggressive reply, produce your Vu Vu zela from your inside pocket and blow it right at the adults ear and then smile broadly telling that every time the child blows it they will get one back.

I think you will find the blowing will soon stop or they will become even more agressive in which case you then call the steward.
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

I find that if you block the blowing end with some sticky tape or even just place your thumb over it, a vuvuzela makes quite a handy makeshift 'yard of ale' for those first 70 mins of a game you don't want to see.
Simmo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Simmo »

I thought the London Irish fan playing the Trumpet on the Crumbie Terrace was superb.....he could just about play it and it was much more original than the usual drums they bring!
Simmo
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

A trumpet being blown in your ear is merely a metal VVZ. :smt013
Valhalla I am coming!
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

divingrob wrote:I find that if you block the blowing end with some sticky tape or even just place your thumb over it, a vuvuzela makes quite a handy makeshift 'yard of ale' for those first 70 mins of a game you don't want to see.
never mind all he sticky tape, simply get your gob around the mouthpiece and have your friends pour in beer through the noisy end.

but under NO circumstances blow whilst its full. (or whilst empty, or, EVER really....) as it does NOT do anything to endear you those sitting in front, as one associate found out one fateful afternoon in Hong Kong......
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Vvzs are banned at WR, but not the shorter trumpets. However, the club will monitor the situation. If you have a problem, speak to a steward, who will have been briefed about the issue.

Discussed at Supporters Forum 19 May.
Valhalla I am coming!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Like the rest of the posts here - I would hate it if one was near me and from memory - didn't the club put up notices after the world cup banning them from the ground. If that is true, then the idiot who authorised the purchase for the shop wants sticking up against a wall and let the kids throw buckets of water at him or her. It is not the kids fault but the shops fault for selling them in the first place.
Hehehehehehehehe
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

Just had an email from the Tigers shop and they are still selling them so prepare for your final to be ruined by some :censored: blowing one in your ear unless some sense prevails and Twickenham ban them.
I cannot believe how low Tigers will stoop to get a few pounds. I would love to get hold of the prat who"s idea this is, obviously not a rugby fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

fleabane wrote:Vvzs are banned at WR, but not the shorter trumpets. However, the club will monitor the situation. If you have a problem, speak to a steward, who will have been briefed about the issue.

May I repeat what fleabane has said in his post I've quoted above. The trumpets sold in the club shop are NOT vuvuzelas (I've clarified this with a SA friend of mine) - they are trumpet blowers but according to my friend, the noise they make is peanuts compared to a proper vuvuzela.

If anyone is blowing one near you and making a nuisance of themselves by doing so, i.e. blowing close to people's ears, persistent continuous use etc, then speak to a steward.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Rizzo wrote:
fleabane wrote:Vvzs are banned at WR, but not the shorter trumpets. However, the club will monitor the situation. If you have a problem, speak to a steward, who will have been briefed about the issue.

May I repeat what fleabane has said in his post I've quoted above. The trumpets sold in the club shop are NOT vuvuzelas (I've clarified this with a SA friend of mine) - they are trumpet blowers but according to my friend, the noise they make is peanuts compared to a proper vuvuzela.

If anyone is blowing one near you and making a nuisance of themselves by doing so, i.e. blowing close to people's ears, persistent continuous use etc, then speak to a steward.
This explanation smacks of sophistry to me - just cos they're little, called a different name (and are annoying), it means they are not as bad as if they are big (and annoying)! Someone's making excuses as they want to make money!

They contribute nothing that shouting 'Tigers' loudly doesn't achieve better.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

OOh does that make me sophisticated? :smt003
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Rizzo wrote:OOh does that make me sophisticated? :smt003
Of course you are Rizzo! :smt054 :smt054 :smt054

But you would not remain so for long if you had me bellowing "Tigers" in you ear repeatedly!

:smt002 :smt002 :smt002
Still keeping the faith!
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Did I read Barnet Fare a page or two ago? - Oz isn't coming out of retirement to play for the Fez Heads, is he?