Back row

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Back row

Post by johns »

Young possible solution may be on its way.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="PM76"]We are lacking a top class 7, a rarity but one we, as a club, have had. Loosing Moody was costly but the cap dictated it Newby and Woods are good but not as good or savvy. Moody would set a defensive line etc. just through his eagerness and others would follow, he was a leader who set the example. Can't see the situation improving next year (cap etc. Have not seen either play but have read high praise for Armes and Everard.) Could it get worse now Herring is off being a top quality openside etc. ????[/quote]

Agree totally, Newby great though he is, is not a 7, we need an out and out 7, bring back Shane
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Luke
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Luke »

Our combinations in the back row are strong and varied and we probably have more strength in depth than any of our (domestic) rivals.

The one element we are short of is probably physicality and experience at 7. Newby is having a fantastic season as a converted 7 and is undisputed first choice; Woods has been very strong in the past but has struggled to get any kind of momentum with his injuries. At the very highest level, both probably have the potential to be out-foxed by a top openside.

In a back row that contains a significant amount of under 30s (Croft, Crane, Waldrom, Woods, Mafi, Pienaar), there is probably a need for someone to perform the role that someone like Quinlan did at Munster or Betsen does at Wasps - i.e. a big ol' lump who knows all the tricks of the trade that you can bring on when the need arises.

But... there is the salary cap.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

If Leeds go down what are Fourie's plans? He'd look good in green, red and white!
Soggypitch
HerbertJ

Post by HerbertJ »

If our top three locks are Deacon, Parling and Skivington (when all are fit) we have an almost silly amount of back row fowards

Croft
Crane
Waldrom
Slater
Mafi
Newby
Woods

And then youngsters like

Armes
Hemingway
Piennar

The problem is balance though. If you wanted your best players on the pitch you'd probably want Croft, Crane and Waldrom. That leaves out a real openside though, and the leadership of Newby, and Mafi has been one of our top performers recently...

And i believe those are all here next year, with some others to come as well!!
English by birth, a Tiger by the Grace of God
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Young possible solution may be on its way.
I've not heard us linked with any backrowers. I do think we need a classy old school openside though. I wouldn't mind seeing us sacrific one of Newby or Woods to land them either. Then again Armes and Everard are coming through, I think they could be good squad players at least, plus with the cap increase we'd earn from having them in the first team they'd largely pay for themselves.

Herbert I think Slater will move to lock full time next season and I wouldn't be suprised to see Hemmingway loaned out to Notts again whilst Pienaar moved on.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

What's the story with Myburgh? Sure I read an interview where Cockers hinted he had a future...? Not seen him, but believe he's a natural 7.
Croft, Newby, Mafi
Woods, Myburgh
Crane, Waldrom