Today's Game - Tigers v Leinster LIVE DISCUSSION HERE

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Today's Game - Tigers v Leinster LIVE DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Tigerbeat »

Leinster was always going to be a tough game with them having class players all over the pitch. They were intent on playing the ball wide and stretching Tigers defence.
Tigers defended well and did not get some of the decisions from the Ref.Not many teams win away from home.

Leinster and Leicester are two good sides but today Leinster thoroughly deserved their victory.

Tigers can now concentrate on the Premiership and look forward to next years Heineken Cup!!!

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

None of these emotive posts about why/why not addresses the point---
We are the richest Club in Europe , excepting possibly Toulouse.
In effect the Manchester United of Rugby
WHY ARE SOME OF YOU ACCEPTING SECOND BEST ?????
We spend more on our squad than Leinster
But they marmalised us today---like it or not
Effort --110% not the issue---just a palable lack of quality , --no backs invention or pace , no composure-----Flood/Youngs especially today-----
Their back play was on a different planet to ours---bish bosh, hope for a missed tackle, sorry, we( Leinster) have you worked out
It actually comes down to the Management and Coaching--they select the players
Good enough to win the Premiership, but not the Heineken.
And I'll say it again and again----dont bleat on and on about the Salary Cap.
We just dont have the pace, vision and composure in key positions in International quality matches----any more.
We used to.....

BRING IN HEALEY FOR THE BACKS --he will definitely ignite them, minus three or four that played today.
IF we want to win the Heineken 2012....
I am sure 50% will agree and 50% violently disagree
Lucky at the moment there is still freedom of speech---in Norfolk anyway...
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

And what do you suggest if Healey doesn't WANT to come back and coach?
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
scarooster

Post by scarooster »

APJones wrote:
Smudge wrote:The problems today were:-

1. We were playing under different rules to Leinster.
2. We were without our first choice 2nd row for most of the match.
3. Only once,(early in the second half), did we make a strong counter ruck.
4. We made poor use of a strong bench.
5 TT came on much too late
6. The ref was shocking.
totally agree , but also add we need to play dirty in the ruck like the OIrish team did
'OIrish team'
Typical response from an engerlish man! Can't deal with defeat from an ex dominion!!!
Mr_Ben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr_Ben »

Passing, Kicking and Rucking

For me, those are the 3 things that were under Tigers control that weren't good enough today.

It seems to me that Ben Youngs passing was a bit hit and miss today and once again I noticed something that first started during the 6N's - his tendency to pass at best flat if not forward. IMO Croft and Floods tries against Bath were from at best flat passes but today the ref was picking them up and on a couple of occasions it hurt us as we lost the chance to keep the pressure on.

The kicking from both Youngs and Flood was once again mediocre. Good kicking forces the opposing back 3 to have to turn and either watch the ball run into touch or chase back to gather it knowing that our chase is going to be putting them under pressure. As has been the case all season, all too often kicks went straight to the Leinster back 3, immediately giving them chance to attack because our chasing players didn't have a chance to close them down

We weren't prepared to commit enough players to the breakdown to either retain the ball or steal it. All too often it needed a second wave of players hittng the ruck to free up the ball. As a result the Leinster defence was well set by the time we moved the ball.

IMO, Leinster's greater familiarity with the referee from the Magners League didn't help us either. I noticed many occasions where Darcy or O'Driscoll were involved in tackles, then tried to rip the ball without making any effort to release the player and frequently were in a position where they were unable to support themselves yet we won very few penalties for either.
JRB Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by JRB Tiger »

I'm sure we've all read enough summaries of the game already but here's mine. Leinster desevered to win,they were better in the backs and had the reading of our line out.However it was still a game that rested on the bounce of the ball and a bit of luck (look at Sexton's conversion!). I honestly believe it's a match that could of gone either way, e.g. Alex's try, or imagine the pressure in the last 2 mins if Flood had got the penalty earlier.

It's hard to take that we're out of the Heineken cup, but lets take it out on everyone else in the Premiership, winning at Twickers in the final for 3 in a row!
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I also like to think that Austin still wants to coach, but I imagine he is on very good money at ESPN. He was desperate for the job a couple of years ago, before brian ashton gave him the england backs job.....the week before ashton was sacked and it never happened!
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

( I am NOT saying sack the coaches at all)
tac106

Post by tac106 »

Absolutely second best. We deserved to lose today.

Our backs aren't good enough.Give it a couple of years and maybe a Tuilagi/Allen?Twelvetrees axis will work.

We will wim the premiership again this year but our backs are not up to it at European level. Youngs/flood didn't show today. disappointing.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Sorry but not withstanding the yet again inconsistent referring then Tigers were dismal. The Keep the Faith brigade can bleat until the cows come home but face it - we do not have a team or game plan capable of winning the big matches this season. Not sure if we are trying to play SH rugby with too many NH players or the other way around.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

norfolkexpat

Could you supply links to support the view that Tigers spend more on their squad than Leinster?
From what I've read in the Irish Independent a number of the senior Irish players are on 750000 euro per annum (part paid by IRFU and part by club and endorsements), added to which they get back 40% of the tax they have paid when playing upon retirement (introduced by Charlie McCreevy when he was finance minister in 2002).
A number of the French clubs have playing resources that dwarf any premiership club.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Main concerns for me -
1. Cockers use of the replacements - or rather his lack of use of them. Throughout the season there have been numerous times when the game was crying out for fresh legs, but nothing happens. Is TTTE injured? What on earth was he doing sat on his rear for all but 20 mins of the match? Crane did OK, but we needed some zip.
2. The game plan as a whole took me back to England 2 years ago - they seem to have spent more time worrying about stopping the other side rather than working out how we were actually going to win it ourselves. We were never going to contain them for the whole game - you cannot do that against top sides.
3. The inability to find a way to win a number of key games this season. Worried that this could be due to the number of injuries to guys who stood up at key moments last year - Deacs, Geordan, Parling.

ps - well done Leinster - likely winners for me.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

I know this is a bit off the subject but after the way the team seemed to pick up the pace and attack after TTT, Castro and Hawkins came on (i know people will say the Leinster boys were more tired by then), then Cocker's i think has to start with them. Crane did well but TTT gives you something that bit extra. If Castro doesn't start at loosehead then he has to start ahead of Cole and i think Hawkins looks good and desrves a start against Glos next Sat. How about the bench consisting of Harrison and 12T's to, both good exciting players ? weve secured a semi final place and should get a home advantage so lets give some of these guys game time coz we just may need them if we pick up injuries in the last few games. Lets hope a lack of game time for certain players wont come back to bit us on the butt so close to the fimal push.
Tigers Forever
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

norfolkexpat wrote:None of these emotive posts about why/why not addresses the point---
We are the richest Club in Europe , excepting possibly Toulouse.
In effect the Manchester United of Rugby
WHY ARE SOME OF YOU ACCEPTING SECOND BEST ?????
We spend more on our squad than Leinster
But they marmalised us today---like it or not
Effort --110% not the issue---just a palable lack of quality , --no backs invention or pace , no composure-----Flood/Youngs especially today-----
Their back play was on a different planet to ours---bish bosh, hope for a missed tackle, sorry, we( Leinster) have you worked out
It actually comes down to the Management and Coaching--they select the players
Good enough to win the Premiership, but not the Heineken.
And I'll say it again and again----dont bleat on and on about the Salary Cap.
We just dont have the pace, vision and composure in key positions in International quality matches----any more.
We used to.....

BRING IN HEALEY FOR THE BACKS --he will definitely ignite them, minus three or four that played today.
IF we want to win the Heineken 2012....
I am sure 50% will agree and 50% violently disagree
Lucky at the moment there is still freedom of speech---in Norfolk anyway...

Can you confirm with us were you get your facts from please.Can you also clearly detail the financial situation of EVERY SINGLE club in Europe??I for one am not settling for second best supporting the Tigers,we gave it a good go in what was a really tuff pool.Lets get behind them next week when they run out at WR!!!! :smt038

And don't bleat on About the Management and Coaching staff.....
Last edited by kpb on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Rob o'r Bont
Tiger Cub

Post by Rob o'r Bont »

The key moment in the game for me was when Tuilagi narrowly missed that try in the corner just after half time. I think the lead and momentum gained from a try at that time would have changed the whole game in your favour.

As a neutral, it was a cracking game to watch, and both team's gave it their all. No disgrace in losing to that Leinster side. God luck for the rest of the season.