Today's Game - Tigers v Leinster LIVE DISCUSSION HERE

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

No8

Re: Today's Game - Tigers v Leinster LIVE DISCUSSION HERE

Post by No8 »

kpbates wrote:Would these comments have been made should Tigers have won today....I think not :smt009 We have a team full of quality which is proven when our team is so badly depleted during the international spell,so how anyone can say that we lack quality and pace is beyond me :smt017
we lack quality as was illustrated when we couldn't even win our own line out today, we lack quality because all we do is track laterally when we attack, we lack quality because we are one dimensionsional and try and break down the wall instead of finding the gaps we cant find the gaps because we have no pace!
[/quote]

Agree that our line out was poor TODAY,but couldn't agree less on all other points :smt009[/quote]

Were you actually watching the game today?! If so, argue your case instead of just saying you disagree!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

No8 wrote:
kingol22 wrote:Im not saying it was a try just that it was a big turning point in the match it was by the finest of margins but it was out but imo it turned the game.
How can it have "turned the game"? We were 2nd best before it happened and 2nd best afterwards!!
It could of quite easily turned the game as it could have taken us from 9-3 down to 10-3 up scores like that do change games unfortunately today alesana was just out.
No8

Post by No8 »

kingol22 wrote:
No8 wrote:
kingol22 wrote:Im not saying it was a try just that it was a big turning point in the match it was by the finest of margins but it was out but imo it turned the game.
How can it have "turned the game"? We were 2nd best before it happened and 2nd best afterwards!!
It could of quite easily turned the game as it could have taken us from 9-3 down to 10-3 up scores like that do change games unfortunately today alesana was just out.
Right, so now, instead of saying that it did turn the game, you've changed your mind and are saying that it could have, but it didn't... In that case, I agree with you!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Then that is your right!

All game we moved from side to side, all game, apart from may be a couple of chances, one aided by a forward pass, we ran into a brick wall.

Chose to disagree if you will but for me the evidence is there. A Tuilagi runs over or through, not at the space, Allen was similar today, M Tuilagi found one gap but there was no one with gas enough to keep up with him. there's no depth to the attack. No momentum, no carry forward, it's been the same for a long time. It's a back line coached by a forward!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
No8

Post by No8 »

Big Dai wrote:Then that is your right!

All game we moved from side to side, all game, apart from may be a couple of chances, one aided by a forward pass, we ran into a brick wall.

Chose to disagree if you will but for me the evidence is there. A Tuilagi runs over or through, not at the space, Allen was similar today, M Tuilagi found one gap but there was no one with gas enough to keep up with him. there's no depth to the attack. No momentum, no carry forward, it's been the same for a long time. It's a back line coached by a forward!
A succinct analysis Big Dai, couldn't agree more.
pogue3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pogue3 »

We never looked like winning today. Well done Leinster!

What concerns me after watching the Hein cup games over last two years is that English sides will struggle in future.
We need the salary cap to increase to bolster our squad. I feel we have to sacrifice certain positions to hold on to good players in other positions.
The French and Irish sides have no problem with this.

When you see the atmosphere being generated at these stadia and the attitude at these clubs Leicester will continue to struggle unless something is done. Feels as though we and other clubs will have to continue with a hand tied behind our backs.

Thought Manu played well today and is a great prospect. Stanko had a good game too.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Big Dai wrote:Then that is your right!

Lacked a killer edge definately. With Flood and Youngs not at their best perhaps we lacked creativity and nobody really tried to ignite the backs- maybe we missed Murphy. A player like Tait can not arrive soon enough, can have off days but can really provide a spark to unlock the best defences.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

I'm proud of the players today.

They may not have had their best game but considering the average age of our players, to be in with a chance at the end against a top side away from home is a good sign for the future. Lessons will have been learnt from this match.

Leinster are at a different stage in their development to us and should be winning these matches easily.

Leinster had the ref on their side today where it could have gone the other way. We got penalised a number of times in decent attacking positions where Leinster could and probably should have been penalised as we infringed as a result of their infringements.

We had a try disallowed correctly by the TMO. We conceded a try where firstly they got the ball from an infringement in the lineout then made a forward pass then one of our better players slipped and couldn't make the tackle. If the TMO law allowed the official to spot any infringement from the move that gained the scoring team possession until the point of scoring (which is what I have previously asked for) then Leinster would also have had their try disallowed. That is bad luck.

We had chances but also made mistakes today. I am sure that we will improve off the back of this match.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

The problems today were:-

1. We were playing under different rules to Leinster.
2. We were without our first choice 2nd row for most of the match.
3. Only once,(early in the second half), did we make a strong counter ruck.
4. We made poor use of a strong bench.
5 TT came on much too late
6. The ref was shocking.
A life long Tiger
No8

Post by No8 »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:
We had chances but also made mistakes today. I am sure that we will improve off the back of this match.
Been saying that since 2002...
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

No8 wrote:
yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:
Been saying that since 2002...
It is not easy to win a European cup.

That's what makes it special.

We had an incredible side when we won it.

At the moment we have a decent side.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

Smudge wrote:The problems today were:-

1. We were playing under different rules to Leinster.
2. We were without our first choice 2nd row for most of the match.
3. Only once,(early in the second half), did we make a strong counter ruck.
4. We made poor use of a strong bench.
5 TT came on much too late
6. The ref was shocking.
totally agree , but also add we need to play dirty in the ruck like the OIrish team did
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Lis113
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Lis113 »

Let people express their opinions! I'll be a tigers supporter till the day i die no matter what league or competition we're in but today we were poor and completely outplayed...yes some decisions didn't go our way but Toby still missed a sitter, was poor kicking out of hand and some of the forwards were anonymous.

On the positive side I thought, yet again, Mafi was very good in the loose.
Mafi is my man.
boon

Post by boon »

tigers were always up against it today, away quarter finals are rarely won (something i'm hoping holds true tomorrow).

if its any consolation i think your chances of winning the league just went up another notch (unless saints get to that final too :smt016 )
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

No8 wrote:
kpbates wrote:Would these comments have been made should Tigers have won today....I think not :smt009 We have a team full of quality which is proven when our team is so badly depleted during the international spell,so how anyone can say that we lack quality and pace is beyond me :smt017
we lack quality as was illustrated when we couldn't even win our own line out today, we lack quality because all we do is track laterally when we attack, we lack quality because we are one dimensionsional and try and break down the wall instead of finding the gaps we cant find the gaps because we have no pace!
Agree that our line out was poor TODAY,but couldn't agree less on all other points :smt009[/quote]

Were you actually watching the game today?! If so, argue your case instead of just saying you disagree![/quote]

Yes was watching the game today.I fail to see how a team that has the highest
points scored in the premiership and most try's scored be one dimensional.We have one of the most attacking back lines in the country IMO.Today we were poor in the line out, but the referee was poor,there hooker on more then one occasion killed the ball when we were near our try line and wasn't penalised,instead Mr Owens awarded Leinster the penalty!Why would we commit this offence in such an attacking position??
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.