DEACON AND SKIVINGTON

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

DEACON AND SKIVINGTON

Post by smalldell »

Anyone any idea about the availability of these for the Leinster game?

While Mafi and Slater have done well I think we will need a little more grunt up front for this one.

Also Waldrom has to start..
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: DEACON AND SKIVINGTON

Post by Hull Fan »

Guessing that they are being rested for the game. Well Deacon at least is rested. I thought i heard on Sky commentary that Skivington pulled out from the bench late on so Woods was added.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

An actual second row would be nice. We were too easily out muscled and bullied by Quinns we need some grunt in these big matches. Maybe Green should have been brought in, he's a work horse who isn't afraid to mix it. Slater is far more dynamic but a bit to nice, needs to get a bit meaner and get more savvy at the breakdown.
wolves tigger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by wolves tigger »

Hows parling comming along anyone know :smt017 ,when he gets back we will have a selection problem then wont we...... deacon , skiv , parl , maffi , slate , plus any young guns comming through , nice place too be though for tigers :smt023
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Mafi is a backrow and I would like to see him tried out in the 7 shirt.

Not sure how much longer Deacon has got in him - anyone heard if Kitchener is definitely joining or have Glos nabbed him?
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

Will S wrote:Mafi is a backrow and I would like to see him tried out in the 7 shirt.
Really? Mafi's a bit tall to be grubbing around in the breakdown! He's best round the park, so if you're going to have him in the backrow it's got to be at 6.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mafi doesn't fit the stereotypical openside mould but then again neither does Newby. Neither are 'fetchers' but both tackle like machines and try to disrupt every member of the opposition in sight. Compare that to the current 6 options of Croft and Waldrom who are sniper esque in their tackling and tend to spend more time trying to pick off attack or start them with clever lines than they do at the breakdown.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I think with the new interpretations the roles of the 6 and 7 are much closer and players will find it easier to switch between the two. Look at Newby. Newby is much more of a 6 but has performed very well at 7 recently. Same could be said for Robshaw at Quins this season.

From what I have seen Mafi has been very strong at the break down area with some crucial turnovers won. I like Newby at 7 but I think if Mafi would offer much more as an all round game.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Deacon declared fit, according to Rugbyworld.com - sorry no link, am on iPad and do not know how to do it on here.
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

I read in think it was the Mercury that both are fit and expected to play. :smt001
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
neilf
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by neilf »

Will S wrote:Mafi is a backrow and I would like to see him tried out in the 7 shirt.
I don't think an important game like an HC quarter final is the place to try him out though. Leave Newby at 7 he is doing an excellent job leading by example.