fore-arm smash ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

gimme
Silver Member
Silver Member

fore-arm smash ?

Post by gimme »

Did I see it right ? Banahan fore-arm smashed that Scottish player right in the throat, I thought that was not really allowed, I reckon it was ineffect very close to a short-arm !
what d`you think ?
that`s me. gme. let your fingers do the walking
Roll on Christmas, let`s have some nuts
AND
(don`t forget Sheila`s bread pudding)
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: fore-arm smash ?

Post by Bill W (2) »

gimme wrote:Did I see it right ? Banahan fore-arm smashed that Scottish player right in the throat, I thought that was not really allowed, I reckon it was ineffect very close to a short-arm !
what d`you think ?
Nah! The Scot tried to butt Banahan, mis-timed it and smashed his throat into Banahan's arm!

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Still keeping the faith!
gimme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by gimme »

I should`ve gone to spec savers :smt005
that`s me. gme. let your fingers do the walking
Roll on Christmas, let`s have some nuts
AND
(don`t forget Sheila`s bread pudding)
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I read on the rugby forum and in the Guardian that Scotland are considering citing Banahan over it as they believe it was a forearm smash and dangerous. This would be a bit of an issue if Tindall is out, but I imagine Hape would shift to 13 and Flood to 12, with Jonny coming in at 10.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Duncan B wrote:This would be a bit of an issue if Tindall is out, but I imagine Hape would shift to 13 and Flood to 12, with Jonny coming in at 10.
No issue. Keep Toby at 10, Jonny on the bench, drop Hape and bring in Billy and Manu at 12 and 13. Simples.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

as Colin Meads taught Johnno as a kid " when you have the ball in hand you can do anything" :)

If their guy hadn't been KOed nobody would have said anything.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I saw it as an illegal use of the arm. Will he be cited - I hope so! This is at least as dangerous as the swinging arm.
Valhalla I am coming!
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

To be honest I don't know if the fore-arm fend in this manner is technically illegal, but it is prevalent amongst ball carriers at all levels of the game.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

At the time I thought the initial impact was Brown's head hitting Banahan's shoulder, but watching the slow motion replay I'm not so sure.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

I am no great fan of banahan and his style of running with the ball(he often leads with his forearm to the face) but i think the damage was done by his shoulder an he then followed it up with a fend
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

It was the upper arm/shoulder that impacted on Brown who then used his forearm, possibly illegally, to continue the movement and push Brown away. I say possibly illegally because the 'pacific islands hand-off' as it is known is normally deemed illegal if the arm is away from the body and it is the forearm that make the impact. Neither of these last two conditions pertain: however, I am well aware that what I think, what is sensible, and what will actually be the outcome are three separate things!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Whether illegal or not, tackling high (actual or attempted) is always risky, either to the tackler or the ball carrier.
Tiger_Chief
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tiger_Chief »

Just my opinion...

Why try and tackle any big man by hitting high. It was deffo Browns own fault for not getting his head to one side and hitting Bananaman at waist level.
All good 7's play on the edge if not they are a waste of space!!
Tigerali
Tiger Cub

Post by Tigerali »

Did antbody see the Falcons-Quins match, every time Quins flanker, Faasavalu I think, took the ball into contact he seemed to lead with the forearm.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It's not as bad as fullbacks and the odd winger jumping for a ball and then lifting their foot presenting the chaser/tackler with a face full of studs.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.