fore-arm smash ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: fore-arm smash ?

Post by TigerCam »

Its a game of rugby isn't it? If during my playing career I had a quid for every time I got hit by an elbow, fist or forearm I would be a lot richer than I am now
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

tigerburnie wrote:It's not as bad as fullbacks and the odd winger jumping for a ball and then lifting their foot presenting the chaser/tackler with a face full of studs.
This would be an easy problem to solve as well as the inherently dangerous habit of taking catchers out in the air. Just insist that player can only catch kicks with their feet on the ground: the competition remains equal and the danger is removed.

Seemples!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DickyP wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:It's not as bad as fullbacks and the odd winger jumping for a ball and then lifting their foot presenting the chaser/tackler with a face full of studs.
This would be an easy problem to solve as well as the inherently dangerous habit of taking catchers out in the air. Just insist that player can only catch kicks with their feet on the ground: the competition remains equal and the danger is removed.

Seemples!
Why only kicks?

And must the incoming player have both feet on the ground?

You have not thought this "seemple" solution through.

There is nothing wrong with the existing laws. Merely the referees implementation of them.
Still keeping the faith!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Duncan B wrote:I read on the rugby forum and in the Guardian that Scotland are considering citing Banahan over it as they believe it was a forearm smash and dangerous. This would be a bit of an issue if Tindall is out, but I imagine Hape would shift to 13 and Flood to 12, with Jonny coming in at 10.
If the Scots cite, then it won't be a ban anyway. Banahan did nothing wrong, and this just smacks of the similar headlines following recent 6N matches against Scotland and Wales - the Dylan Hartley 'gouge' on Ross Ford and the Jonny Wilkinson 'swinging arm' on Jon Thomas.

Like the Banahan incident, there was absolutely nothing in them and such incidents occur regularly in games without anyone making a fuss.

If it had been the other way round, and Nick Easter had KOed himself tackling a back, then do you suppose there would be calls for citings, or do you suppose there would be considerably more mocking of Nick Easter for getting floored by a winger?
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

There does seem to be a very odd disregard for peoples safety as long as it doesn't happen to your team.

Southwell was booted in the face deliberately and it was his fault apparently. Brown is forearm smashed into the throat resulting in a nasty concussion and that now seems to be his fault for not being able to take a forearm smash from a back ( no mention that the back is 6 foot five and about 17 stone )

I am not making a big issue about these incidents but I do think they should be looked into by the authorities.

My main complaint was why the referee would not allow the Scots to strip the ball legally . Evans stripped a ball perfectly legally and was penalised and so did Barclay and got binned.

It seems to me that the referees often make up there mind as to who is the weaker team and therefore who is to lose before the game even starts - taking no consideration of the match as it is at that moment and the fact that someone may play out of their skins that day to win.

Following the binning of Jacobsen in the last match for pushing too hard I think Scotland can consider themselves very hard done to in this championship
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:Reffing has reached an all time low.
An interesting observation jg.

How much of this is because they no longer seek to enforce the laws but rather "manage the game"?
Still keeping the faith!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Bill W (2) wrote:
DickyP wrote:

Seemples!
Why only kicks? Cos it was kicks we were talking about

And must the incoming player have both feet on the ground? He's either trying to catch the ball and yes obviously because he's a catcher, or waiting until the other guy has caught it and then normal tackle rules apply Law 10.4.e. Obvious really.

You have not thought this "seemple" solution through. What's to think through - it is seemples.

There is nothing wrong with the existing laws. Merely the referees implementation of them. I agree except that I now see that the laws no longer clearly define what constitutes a legal tackle like they used to, just a list of what you can't do!
See above.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DickyP wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote: Why only kicks? Cos it was kicks we were talking about

And must the incoming player have both feet on the ground? He's either trying to catch the ball and yes obviously because he's a catcher, or waiting until the other guy has caught it and then normal tackle rules apply Law 10.4.e. Obvious really.

You have not thought this "seemple" solution through. What's to think through - it is seemples.

There is nothing wrong with the existing laws. Merely the referees implementation of them. I agree except that I now see that the laws no longer clearly define what constitutes a legal tackle like they used to, just a list of what you can't do!
See above.
OK. Two people both running (in opposite directions) to field a kick. Both must have both feet on the ground? Just one foot on the ground? Very difficult to run with both feet on the ground or indeed with one foot always on the ground. And you want the refs to adjudicate this?
Still keeping the faith!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

mightymouse wrote:There does seem to be a very odd disregard for peoples safety as long as it doesn't happen to your team.

Southwell was booted in the face deliberately and it was his fault apparently. Brown is forearm smashed into the throat resulting in a nasty concussion and that now seems to be his fault for not being able to take a forearm smash from a back ( no mention that the back is 6 foot five and about 17 stone )
How does a forearm to the throat cause concussion?

Surely that would cause a sore throat?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

4071 wrote:
mightymouse wrote:There does seem to be a very odd disregard for peoples safety as long as it doesn't happen to your team.

How does a forearm to the throat cause concussion?

Surely that would cause a sore throat?
I suppose it is possible a forearm to the throat could cause the head to snap back and result in concussion. Just as it is possible for an open hand to the chin (i.e. a perfectly legal hand off) to result in the same.

In fact, of course, Brown was concussed by stupidly putting his head in the way of Bananamans shoulder.

He tackled high and got injured as a result.
Still keeping the faith!
gimme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by gimme »

now now Bill, you sound like Brian Moore, look again and see the forearm smash, a hand off would`ve been brilliant, but I reckon he aimed to cause damage - cheap shot - I know it`s a tough game and so it should stay that way but without cheap shots, Bananaman is a big lump for sure, and also for sure he don`t need to use cheap shots.....but what do I know ? nowt that`s gonna make any difference. :smt016
that`s me. gme. let your fingers do the walking
Roll on Christmas, let`s have some nuts
AND
(don`t forget Sheila`s bread pudding)
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

gimme wrote:now now Bill, you sound like Brian Moore,
That is a real compliment!

He put his head in the way of Banas shoulder and arm.

Silly boy!

Why pray did he not tackle round the legs?
Still keeping the faith!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

gimme wrote:now now Bill, you sound like Brian Moore, look again and see the forearm smash, a hand off would`ve been brilliant, but I reckon he aimed to cause damage - cheap shot - I know it`s a tough game and so it should stay that way but without cheap shots, Bananaman is a big lump for sure, and also for sure he don`t need to use cheap shots.....but what do I know ? nowt that`s gonna make any difference. :smt016
I think you're the one who should go and look at it again! I like others, including the citing commissioner, can see clearly that Brown was not forearm smashed. The forearm pushed Brown away after he'd been hit by Banahan's shoulder: at the time of impact Banahan's arm was firmly against his body.
If you are really worried about this sort of impact why no complaints about the constant contravention of the explicit law that 'clearing out' is illegal. If you join a ruck or a maul you have to bind before you can impact the opposition.