And that's what happens when you don't give players a go

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

taffyboiy
Top Cat
Top Cat

And that's what happens when you don't give players a go

Post by taffyboiy »

I doubt you would find many coaches in ANY sport anywhere who'd agree that depriving a player of opportunities to play for weeks on end, then chucking him in and expecting a game winning kick under that sort of pressure is the right way to go.

Very disappointed :smt009
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: And that's what happens when you don't give players a go

Post by Smudge »

Agreed. Damn disgraceful.
A life long Tiger
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Billy should have come on earlier. Staunton clearly was having trouble with his leg. But even if he doesnt play as often as people like, he kicks a lot on the training ground, so should be short of practice. The pressure unfortunately got to him.

Edit: Sorry, its two week break now. Floody and co will be back for the next game.
Last edited by Darc Tiger on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomR96
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TomR96 »

I really agree with that statement, if Billy Twelvetrees is good enough to be a Saxons player, then he's good enough to be a starting Leicester Tigers player, why did we sign Jeremy Staunton, he's no way as good as Billy, and Billy Twelvetrees in the future can contest for the starting number 10 in the Tigers camp. Cockers, give Billy more opportunities!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Twelvetrees plays 12 for Saxons and was not the goal kicker for them.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Staunton was having a good game. Till he got injured. Should have come off sooner. But we didnt deserve to win it either way. Sarries controlled the territory, even if they were toothless.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Have posted elsewhere and agree!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Me too - the chickens came home to roost today.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
chris4xy

Post by chris4xy »

Darc Tiger wrote:Billy should have come on earlier. Staunton clearly was having trouble with his leg. But even if he doesnt play as often as people like, he kicks a lot on the training ground, so should be short of practice. The pressure unfortunately got to him.

Edit: Sorry, its two week break now. Floody and co will be back for the next game.
Heartily agree with Darc Tiger. There seems to be an element out there that criticise certain players and the coaches regardless of how well they play.

I too think that Billy is a talented player but that is no guarantee that, even with more game time, he would have kicked that last penalty. I also trust in the coaching team to make the right decisions based on availabilty and what they see on the training ground.
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

Still think that at present JS is a better kicker, sorry to the BT fan club, but BT will get more and more chances to gain the experience he needs
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

The fact is JS was unfit midway through the second half and should have been replaced...he was so far behind the scrum he was holding the trafficup outside the ground...

We have all said it before about 12T's, for me the damage is done and if he stays it will be a miracle.....Good to see the players going up to him straight after the whistle I hope RC had some words of encoruagement...through I doubt it...

A break now to sort things out and hopefully Flood will be back fully fit.....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It's not about Jezza v 36,for me it's about managing players carrying a knock,we might need Staunton as the 6nations isn't finished yet,Floody could collect a knock ,then what?
I could hear on the radio that Cockers was passionately supporting his team,does he think with a clear mind when the red mist comes down?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

smalldell wrote:We have all said it before about 12T's, for me the damage is done and if he stays it will be a miracle.....Good to see the players going up to him straight after the whistle I hope RC had some words of encoruagement...through I doubt it...
You can hear Cockers' reaction here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 412910.stm

I would be surprised if Billy left. He has had quite a lot of gametime this season, no less than Flood or Jezza. Sure, not as much as he would like this year so far, but he is still firmly on England's radar. Cockers and Co will be taking to him all the time, planning things out and telling him what he can expect. Billy doesn't seem like a glory boy. He is well grounded. And where he is at the moment is 3rd choice flyhalf and 2nd choice inside centre.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I am all for seeing players come through the ranks and be successful in the 1st Team.
Trust Cockers and see if he delivers - 13 points from the 6 Nations period would have been accepted if you had offered it before.
A disappointing result against a full strength Saracens team. Tigers could have won, should have won, had the opportunities but just fell short.
All is not lost and is still in their hands to get a home semi final in the play offs.

I do not think at this time Twelvetrees and Harrison command a place in the starting line up. Grindal and Staunton may not set the game on fire but they are generally a solid half back partnership with plenty of experience.
Staunton is our no2 kicker behind Floody and the kicker is an important player in the starting line up.
I agree that Stauntoon should have been brought off sooner.

Cockers is wroking with these players and knows what he is doing. He is managing the players in the way that he deems to be the best for Leicester and he will be judged by what the team delivers in success.

Aviva Premiership and Heineken Cup still up for grabs.

Disappointed tonight but still happy to be top of the league and have the games needed to win in our own hands.

Come on Tigers!!!

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

jamiewilkinson wrote:Still think that at present JS is a better kicker, sorry to the BT fan club, but BT will get more and more chances to gain the experience he needs
Not if he doesn't play regularly he wont. He like many others need to be match fit.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat