Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: And that's what happens when you don't give players a go

Post by Old Hob »

bluntiger wrote:
Tigerbob wrote: ...... and we would now by sitting pretty at the top of the Premiership with a 10 point lead over them pesky Saffas!
Don't worry about the Saffas, playing rugby like that will get them nowhere in the long run, and is why they are already out of the HC. Sure, they had a tough group but they lost ALL their home group games.

In the AP they have scored only 24 tries in 17 AP games compared to our 47 tries in the same amount of games. You need more than just tactical kicking and penalties to win trophies.
Saracens Won 13 Lost 4
Tigers Won 12 lost 5
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Old Hob wrote:Saracens Won 13 Lost 4
Tigers Won 12 lost 5
And your point is?

Won more games but scored HALF the number of tries. Not exactly glittering rugby is it! And they wonder why they only attract 6-7000 fans!
Always a Tiger
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

bluntiger wrote:
Tigers Won 12 lost 5
And your point is?

Won more games but scored HALF the number of tries. Not exactly glittering rugby is it! And they wonder why they only attract 6-7000 fans!
It doesn't matter what kind of rugby you play if you win the Premiership Final. They might only score through penalties and end up being out scored in tries, but if they end up with more points at the end of the game, they've won.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

bluntiger wrote:
Tigers Won 12 lost 5
And your point is?

Beyond you

Since when did we care about "glittering" rather than winning?

Edit: Furthermore, under Premiership rules if teams are tied in the table the first thing to separate them is...

number of wins.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

TigerAlex wrote:They might only score through penalties and end up being out scored in tries, but if they end up with more points at the end of the game, they've won.
Really, that's where I must have been going wrong! Note to cockers: 'We need to score more points than they do.'

Thank you for stating the blindingly obvious.

But my point was in the big games, you need more than tactical kicking and relying on penalties. Look at England as an example, they are winning more big games since they started playing more expansively.
Always a Tiger
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

bluntiger wrote:
Really, that's where I must have been going wrong! Note to cockers: 'We need to score more points than they do.'

Thank you for stating the blindingly obvious.

But my point was in the big games, you need more than tactical kicking and relying on penalties. Look at England as an example, they are winning more big games since they started playing more expansively.
Given your response to Old Hob's post, it seemed that you had not grasped this 'blindingly obvious' statement.

England won the biggest game of all with tactical kicking and penalties in 2003. In big games, it often comes down to 'boring' rugby to win it rather than flashy expansive play. England won their biggest game to date against France by playing less expansively than against Italy.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

TigerAlex wrote:England won the biggest game of all with tactical kicking and penalties in 2003.
and an equal number of tries

similarly Tigers are ahead of Saracens in the league due to scoring many more tries and many more bonus points

its true Saracens would go ahead if we're equal on points and they have more wins but let's be honest if they win more they deserve to be ahead, they're lack of ambition is what keeps us in the race
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: they're lack of ambition is what keeps us in the race
They are lacking in ambition? The lack of ambition is theirs?

Ambition they have. Very special. The means to realise it?

Different question.
Still keeping the faith!
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

if Billy feels he's been badly treated he's not showing it, or he feels there's something for it for him in the long run. Merc reporting he's agreed terms to a new contract.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/s ... ticle.html
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

And will the fact of his agreeing new contract terms silence the people who are "sure" he is leaving because he is not being picked/is not given a chance/is devastated and distraught every time he is not selected?

Probably not. :smt004
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Rizzo wrote:And will the fact of his agreeing new contract terms silence the people who are "sure" he is leaving because he is not being picked/is not given a chance/is devastated and distraught every time he is not selected?

They have never responded to objective evidence before, I cant see them starting now.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

And that's what happens when you dont give players a go - errr!

Signs a new contract :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am so confused now my brain is going :smt119 :smt120 :smt118
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:I am so confused now my brain is going :smt119 :smt120 :smt118
You are easily confused!!

:smt016 :smt016 :smt016
Still keeping the faith!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

tb1 wrote:
Rizzo wrote:And will the fact of his agreeing new contract terms silence the people who are "sure" he is leaving because he is not being picked/is not given a chance/is devastated and distraught every time he is not selected?

They have never responded to objective evidence before, I cant see them starting now.
Haven't seen any objective evidence before.

Mostly we've just seen people claiming that we couldn't possibly pick a 22-year old A-international for 15 minutes off the bench, because last time we picked a team full of 18-year olds against the Ospreys we got hammered.