Could Refs Please Demand Proper Tackles?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Could Refs Please Demand Proper Tackles?

Post by Kinoulton »

There were two incindences in the Northants v Goucester game that I really didn't like.

Firstly a player going down the wing evaded a tackle but then got smashed into touch by another opponent who caught him off balance and ran into him like an Eddie Stobart truck and just barged him with no attempt to produce a proper tackle. The man spilled the ball and fell into touch, losing possession for his team because of a clear piece of cowardice that went unpunished.

In the same game, a player went over for a try with no realistic opposition in front of him. Yet when he'd already grounded the ball, two opponents jumped on his back with only one thought in mind, which was to hurt him.

Now fair enough, it's a man's game. And a woman's game. But when someone is already facedown in the dirt having done their job, the referee is meant to punish players who simply jump on them to vent their anger.

This "jumping on the try-scorer" has already been brought up before at the highest level, but some refs seem impotent when it comes to applying the laws.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Could Refs Please Demand Proper Tackles?

Post by Old Hob »

Your whole post begs the question "What are the assistant referees for?" ; and my answer is "I don't know". Their duties were first increased to signal foul play - well what is a knee-drop in the kidneys after a try has been scored if it is not foul play? Barging into touch, tripping and tackling with the forearm at throat height seem to be on the increase. The answer? More pressure on the RFU/IRB from clubs but, perhaps, from the fans who disapprove.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

You really are asking far too much of the poor refs and assistant refs.

At best they have only three pairs of eyes you know.

And they have to remember all the different Laws of The Game, and the different interpretations thereto.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

If I'm not mistaken in the incidence of the foul play after the try has been scored the referee can award a penalty to the scoring team from the restart which I think has to be taken from the centre spot as in a restart
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
BarmyBamford

Post by BarmyBamford »

The penalty as a restart ( for the scoring team ) is quite correct and featured recently on the sevens circuit and should do so more in the 15s game.

Anyone remember J. Harrison's knee dropping of Oz in the Lions series well after he'd grounded the ball, even started celebrating, refs response; none.
Rory O'Greek

Post by Rory O'Greek »

I too saw the Shoulder charge incident on the highlights prog on ITV and voiced my displeasure and surprise that no mention was made by the commentators nor the touch judge. It was a tackle on May the Gloucester wing by Reihana who came across at full speed from the opposite wing and hit May with his shoulder to Mays upper body driving him into touch.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

rocktop51 wrote:If I'm not mistaken in the incidence of the foul play after the try has been scored the referee can award a penalty to the scoring team from the restart which I think has to be taken from the centre spot as in a restart
Correct. The offending player should also be carded - since he has committed a cynical offence in the "red zone".
Still keeping the faith!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:The barge has been around a long time, JPR I remember was quite handy at them. However I would agree that a few cards would help. The drop ons often happen when they're trying to obscure a touchdown, move the ball and knacker a player as well. Reffing as you know IMO is going to hell in a handcart thanks to the IRB.
I am not sure we should thank the IRB.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Kinoulton wrote:There were two incidences in the Northants v Gloucester game that I really didn't like.

Firstly a player going down the wing evaded a tackle but then got smashed into touch by another opponent who caught him off balance and ran into him like an Eddie Stobart truck and just barged him with no attempt to produce a proper tackle. The man spilled the ball and fell into touch, losing possession for his team because of a clear piece of cowardice that went unpunished.
I'm just watching the highlights on ITV4. I assume you mean the shoulder charge by Reihana on May.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
North Sea Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by North Sea Tiger »

I seem to remember Tigers being awarded a penalty on restart after a try last season or the seaon before due to foul play after the try had been scored.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

BJ. wrote:
Kinoulton wrote:.
I'm just watching the highlights on ITV4. I assume you mean the shoulder charge by Reihana on May.
Yes, but I owe that piece of knowledge to a previous poster and you!

I will add in the name of balance, that certain Tigers players of Pacific origin have been known to smash unsuspecting opponents rather than tackle them properly.

This was quite correctly pointed out by this Forum's pantomime villain, Stuart Barnes, a couple of years ago.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Panto Villain he may be, but he was correct! It is, perhaps, the Panto Villains who can bring most pressure to have these offences penalised by making an issue of them on TV and in their blogs and newspaper columns?
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I totally agree.

Were it not for the TV and newspaper pundits, I suspect that the powers that be would take a laisser faire attitude, bury their heads in the sand....... and I've run out of metaphors.

(I suspect some of my French spelling's a bit sh*t, as well.)
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

There also seems to me to be an issue of players effectively surrendering as soon as they get near to an opposition tackler.

In the England game on Sat, Cueto was penalised for not releasing a tackled player when in fact he stayed on his feet and the "tackled" player went to ground with effectively no contact that you could call a tackle. The Frenchman had the mindset that he would then be able to play the ball having been released by Cueto.

In effect it was a short maul not a tackle. Why should in this case the player who stays on his feet have to release? I know the law at the moment favours the player going into contact, but this shouldn't be rugby league!