No call-up for Crofty yet!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

No call-up for Crofty yet!

Post by BJ. »

Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: No call-up for Crofty yet!

Post by drc_007 »

Seems very sensible.

Edit

But I suspect the Saints fans will not see it that way.
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

Aye, the right call. No way Croft would want to chance the biggest international of 2011 so far on just 20 mins of rugby! Add into the equation that England's backrow is looking good AND Moody is back in the frame and Tom might as well spend the week training at Tigers rather than standing on the tackle bags for England before being released on Thurs.

Do you think Croft will start on Friday night? Shifting Newby across to 7 to slot Tom in at 6 would be my plan of attack. I haven't been overawed by Woods since he's been back but, as with Croft, he hasn't got too much match time under his belt yet.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

bwightman wrote:Aye, the right call. No way Croft would want to chance the biggest international of 2011 so far on just 20 mins of rugby! Add into the equation that England's backrow is looking good AND Moody is back in the frame and Tom might as well spend the week training at Tigers rather than standing on the tackle bags for England before being released on Thurs.

Do you think Croft will start on Friday night? Shifting Newby across to 7 to slot Tom in at 6 would be my plan of attack. I haven't been overawed by Woods since he's been back but, as with Croft, he hasn't got too much match time under his belt yet.
Woods was very good defensively on Saturday. If Craig could do with a rest on the bench then Croft at 6, Woods at 7 will be fine.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Would love to see Croft at 6 and Mafi at 7 for Tigers. With a bit of patience Mafi could develop into a top class 7. I was really impressed with him against Wasps and he certainly has the skills (ex centre as he said in his interview) to perform the link role at 7. He is strong, quick to the breakdown and secures his fair share of turnovers. Next season, with Kitchener hopefully joining and Parling coming back from injury, we will be fairly well stocked with top quality locks. We just need to develop a top openside.

Croft and Mafi on the flanks could be formidable. They are both big lads who are very mobile and fast around the pitch. Our lineout would be immense!

On this note I think the national side, come the world cup, will have Croft at 6 and Woods at 7 operating in a very similar fashion.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Will S wrote:On this note I think the national side, come the world cup, will have Croft at 6 and Woods at 7 operating in a very similar fashion.
To clarify - at 7 you mean Wood of saints, not Woods of Tigers, right ?

Glad to see Crofty playing for us Friday - they have called Moodos back into the Elite Squad on similar game time (20 mins) so we are lucky.... will our luck hold for the rest of the 6N - no chance ! Wood/Croft an interesting option, but suspect Haskell (on current form) will keep his place with Moody/Wood fighting for a bench spot (Crofty nailed on for 6 shirt).

Weird how the captain is not first choice in the squad anymore - same could happen to Tindall too ? (please :smt003 )
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

If the England team ain't broke why try to fix it. I hope Moody get more local game time too. Mind you the way he played at the weekend it was as if he had never been injured - totally MAD!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
apps

Post by apps »

If the England team ain't broke why try to fix it. I hope Moody get more local game time too. Mind you the way he played at the weekend it was as if he had never been injured - totally MAD!![/quote]

moody mad i though he went mad years ago but went total mad when he went to bath lol
TIGERS RULE WELFORD ROAD NO MAN CAN STOP THEM IN THERE WAY TO MORE SILVER
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Moody along with the Vest and now Danny left / leave to go to the Tigers retirement home where they play touch rugby during the week - much easier on the 'old bones'
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Minty

Post by Minty »

i'm very pleased that Croft has stayed with Tigers, i just wish they would send all the other lads home too, i would love our fully fit best 15 against Leinster in the HC!!

Is this a case of not needing Croft, not wanting to rush him back or are they scared at the cost implications of him getting injured again, i can imagine it was an expensive injury for the RFU and not a club injury like Moody.

& i agree Newbs may need a rest or maybe even not be fully focussed with whats going on back home (our thoughts are with the Tigers Kiwi's)
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Minty wrote:i'm very pleased that Croft has stayed with Tigers, i just wish they would send all the other lads home too, i would love our fully fit best 15 against Leinster in the HC!!

Is this a case of not needing Croft, not wanting to rush him back or are they scared at the cost implications of him getting injured again, i can imagine it was an expensive injury for the RFU and not a club injury like Moody.

& i agree Newbs may need a rest or maybe even not be fully focussed with whats going on back home (our thoughts are with the Tigers Kiwi's)
I doubt the RFU care about the money as they will have an insurance policy.

England have simply built a bit of depth in the back row now, and there is no immediate need for them to rush Tom back.