Grindal and Staunton

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Grindal

Post by Roly »

In my humble opinion, Grindal is simply not good enough to wear the No9 shirt for Tigers.

Discuss.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Grindal

Post by Darc Tiger »

You think this subject hasn't been debated before?

Edit: 'debated (at length)'
Last edited by Darc Tiger on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilf
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by neilf »

Roly wrote:In my humble opinion, Grindal is simply not good enough to wear the No9 shirt for Tigers.

Discuss.

The key word is in your opinion.. RC has the opinion that counts so discussing this much coverered topic is a waste of time.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Either way, he is ours. So back him!
neilf
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by neilf »

Darc Tiger wrote:Either way, he is ours. So back him!
+1
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Keep your wigs on.

I'm personally not happy to 'back' mediocrity, as you seem to be, nor blindly defend mediocrity in a misguided sense of loyalty, or just because RC says so.

I'm sure there are those who would share my opinion. Watching the man play is cringeworthy at times, Tigers must surely be able to do better than this.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Will the trolling not relent? Please let it stop.
neilf
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by neilf »

Roly wrote:Keep your wigs on.

I'm personally not happy to 'back' mediocrity, as you seem to be, nor blindly defend mediocrity in a misguided sense of loyalty, or just because RC says so.

I'm sure there are those who would share my opinion. Watching the man play is cringeworthy at times, Tigers must surely be able to do better than this.

Please explain how with the current wage cap, injury list , international call ups etc YOU would do this, if you were in the DOR's current position where if some are to be believed if he does not put trophies on the table this year he will be fired.
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

And what exactly do you suggest they do? They've already got the England scrum half (an academy graduate) and they seem to be after a promising young scrum half in Micky Young. Ben Youngs is not an option at the moment since he's off with England, Sam Harrison should not just be thrown into games at the business end of the season. That actually might ruin him. Frankly I think they'll have done well to sign Micky Young who must know that unless he plays better than the (currently considered) best scrum half in England or said scrum half is injured, he will be second choice. So continual moaning about how bad Grindal is, whatever the truth of it is pointless because Tigers can't do anything about it right now.

Edited because I'm not sure whether the Micky Young signing is a done deal yet.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

TigerAlex wrote:

And what exactly do you suggest they do? They've already got the England scrum half (an academy graduate) and they've already signed a promising young scrum half in Micky Young. Ben Youngs is not an option at the moment since he's off with England, Sam Harrison should not just be thrown into games at the business end of the season. That actually might ruin him. Frankly I think they've done well to sign Micky Young who must know that unless he plays better than the (currently considered) best scrum half in England or said scrum half is injured, he will be second choice. So continual moaning about how bad Grindal is, whatever the truth of it is pointless because Tigers can't do anything about it right now.
I'll bet you complain about crappy weather, even though you can't do much about it? I expect when you do complain, you tacitly accept that your complaints are of a rhetorical nature....
Nic

Post by Nic »

Not as good as Youngs, but you can't expect an international standard player as cover for the best 15 with the salary cap ain place.

It will be interesting to see what happens next season.

If you want to criticise last weeks performance I thought the weak link was Staunton not Grindal, whose kicking game, especially from hand was poor.

This has probably been debated elsewhere. We are stuck with the playing staff we have,lets just hope all stay fit as I have paid to go Ireland and have high hopes!
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

Roly wrote:
TigerAlex wrote:

And what exactly do you suggest they do? They've already got the England scrum half (an academy graduate) and they've already signed a promising young scrum half in Micky Young. Ben Youngs is not an option at the moment since he's off with England, Sam Harrison should not just be thrown into games at the business end of the season. That actually might ruin him. Frankly I think they've done well to sign Micky Young who must know that unless he plays better than the (currently considered) best scrum half in England or said scrum half is injured, he will be second choice. So continual moaning about how bad Grindal is, whatever the truth of it is pointless because Tigers can't do anything about it right now.
I'll bet you complain about crappy weather, even though you can't do much about it? I expect when you do complain, you tacitly accept that your complaints are of a rhetorical nature....
That would have an ounce of relevance if Grindal's ability had not already been discussed ad nauseam. And actually, when the weather is rubbish, I may grumble, but I do accept that there's nothing I can do about it and as a result I don't go on and on and on and on and on....
Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Grindal and Staunton

Post by Roly »

[ulist=][/ulist]

I wonder if you're all still so keen to defend the player now we've had even more dross out of him?
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Grindal and Staunton

Post by Crumblies »

I wonder if you're all still so keen to defend the player now we've had even more dross out of him?
I have been as critical as the next person of some of the said players standards. But I have deliberately tried not to personalise or be deflamatory. I posted elsewhere as long as a player who pulls on a Tigers Shirt gives 100% and plays to the best of his ability then that is all we can rightly expect and I will be there cheering them on.

My grumble is with the coaches/management who seem to accept mediocrity and persist with it when other options are available. For goodness sake give the new/young/inexperienced a chance and show some faith in them.