Hipkiss to Bath confirmed

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Hipkiss to Bath confirmed

Post by Darc Tiger »

A true Tiger, but the correct decision for both parties.

Thanks for everything Danny! :smt001
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

A true servant to the club,just hope he isn't part of an exodus to barf that might include any more of our "stalwarts".
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I am deeply depressed about this.
A life long Tiger
BrumJim2

Post by BrumJim2 »

Sad to loose such a committed Leicester man, and someone who is so strong in the tackle - keeps his feet whilst all those around him are trying to loose theirs.

Whilst his most memorable contribution to the Club was his last minute try against Saracens in the Guinness Premiership final last year (scored as a result of his refusal to stop playing, even though he had been high-tackled), his real metal was shown in the Cardiff game, Heineken Cup Sem-Final in 2009. 2 minutes before no-time after extra time Dan gains a blood injury, allowing us to bring back Dupuy ready for the penalty shoot out. Unlike the infamous bloodgate incident, Hipkiss's injury was checked by the referee and deemed to be clearly legitimate, as in a genuine bleeding cut. Were Tigers genuinely lucky to get a blood injury at the right time, or did one very committed club player stick his head under a boot (friendly or otherwise) in order to give up his place for a more suitable player? I wouldn't wish to state either way, but in my head, he is a hero who has always placed the club above himself.
"And I've been supporting them every year since 1978."
"So you are a fair weather fan, then."
"Yes, I suppose!"
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

It will be a bit weird to see Moodos, Vesty and Hippo all playing in Barf colours (especially against us) next season.

I do wish Danny all the best and think it is the right move for him at this time.

With four centres in the Saxons squad (& Tait on the way) it was only going to get harder to keep them all happy - in terms of game time and salary !

If 36 & Manu do the business for Saxons again this week, then we may well be looking at England's post-WC centres, let alone Tigers !! Throw in Allen as well, plus Smith and Tait, and that gives us plenty of options for next year.....

Come on Tigers ! And Good Luck Danny !! :smt038
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Sad to see him go. As others have said, I always thought he'd been somewhat underrated.

Strange comments he made though. He spoke about wanting to be somewhere ambitious and that Bath exude ambition.

Excuse me, but aren't Leicester the most ambitious club going? Where else will he find ambition to match that of the Tigers?

I fear Danny, that you'll find you miss the winning mentality of your home club.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Gonzo wrote:Sad to see him go. As others have said, I always thought he'd been somewhat underrated.

Strange comments he made though. He spoke about wanting to be somewhere ambitious and that Bath exude ambition.

Excuse me, but aren't Leicester the most ambitious club going? Where else will he find ambition to match that of the Tigers?

I fear Danny, that you'll find you miss the winning mentality of your home club.
It depends how you read it. He doesn't say Leicester aren't ambitious but just that he wants to go to (another) ambitious club i.e. not Falcons or similar.

This was the right call for Tigers and Dan.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

I'm as sad as anyone to see DH leave WR, especially as I was seated (ok, standing!!) just behind the Try line when he scored THAT Try at Twickers in last May's Prem Final.

But within the salary cap merry-go-round, if DH moving on is [part of] the price to be paid for being able to keep Castro, then I'd rather keep Castro.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Good luck Dan. I think he'll do very well for Bath and I hope he gets back into the England team soon enough. :smt023

On another note, does this mean Bath have bought out the remaining year on his contract or have Tigers released him from it?
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

A big loss for the club he is a great player and a tigers legend. But just like when moody left big holes get filled in quick enough.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Sad - but, as others have said, a sign of the times.
nottslad

Post by nottslad »

Lammy wrote:Fair enough really. Hipkiss, Moody and Vesty are all good friends so can't say I'm surprised.

Presumably this allows Tait to join us.

I do have to say, Mr M Tait is not currently a friend of mine. If he learns how to tackle and look interested I will happily backtrack but really don't see the point. He won't be cheap either........

sorry but how do you know "how cheap" Tait wil be?? Hippkis is strong player but is a 1 trick pony. is injury prone (some may say Tait is) His problem is he can only play 1 position Tait can play 12/13/wing or FB. good move for Tigers
allows the young brigade more game time.. Not sure if Bath is the right place for him, neither vesty or moody have exactly set the world alight down there!!!
imho!!
glass is half full
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

nottslad wrote:sorry but how do you know "how cheap" Tait wil be?? Hippkis is strong player but is a 1 trick pony. is injury prone (some may say Tait is) His problem is he can only play 1 position Tait can play 12/13/wing or FB. good move for Tigers
allows the young brigade more game time.. Not sure if Bath is the right place for him, neither vesty or moody have exactly set the world alight down there!!!
imho!!
Vesty was effectively got rid of to bring in 12T. Moody was got rid of to bring in Waldrom. Hipkiss (and Amorasino) have been got rid of to bring in Tait. Add in a few interpersonals with the DoR and all is explained. Moody and Vesty have both been used effectively by Bath - neither are in the early stages of their careers. I have no doubt Hipkiss will be used effectively by Bath also.
Still keeping the faith!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Bill W (2)"]
Vesty was effectively got rid of to bring in 12T. Moody was got rid of to bring in Waldrom. Hipkiss (and Amorasino) have been got rid of to bring in Tait. Add in a few interpersonals with the DoR and all is explained. Moody and Vesty have both been used effectively by Bath - neither are in the early stages of their careers. I have no doubt Hipkiss will be used effectively by Bath also.[/quote]

Alternatively - Vesty wanted more game time. Moody was offered a longer contract by Bath (it was B. Deacon who made way for Waldrom). Hippo also wants a regular place, and is now not guaranteed this at Tigers. Amorasino has not had the opportunity to prove his worth, mainly owing to injury, and Tait is seen as a better bet.
Injury and competition has meant that Moody and Vesty have had a mixed time so far at Bath - Vesty started out well, but with James now fit, he has been on the bench.
I think Danny will do alright. Sorry to see him go.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Bellix. :smt009 It's probably the right thing for Danny when it's all weighed up, but bellix.

Tait had better be good or I'll be seriously browned off.