Hipkiss to Bath confirmed

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hipkiss to Bath confirmed

Post by Tigersfan90 »

Sorry if this link has been posted elsewhere: http://www.premiershiprugby.com/premier ... /25311.php
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Hipkiss to Bath confirmed

Post by bwightman »

Good luck Danny! As he said, 14 years is a long time. The club has a great deal to be thankful to him for and he should get a medal for last-minute game-breaking moments! Let's hope he gets to turn out for the first team a few more times before he heads Barfwards.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Fair enough really. Hipkiss, Moody and Vesty are all good friends so can't say I'm surprised.

Presumably this allows Tait to join us.

I do have to say, Mr M Tait is not currently a friend of mine. If he learns how to tackle and look interested I will happily backtrack but really don't see the point. He won't be cheap either........
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

A bit like Moodos, I'm a bit sad about this. And I will always remember Danny's try against Saffers last May in particular.

I wish him well, and thanks for the long service Danny boy.

Bath....I never dreamed they'd become the rest home for broken Tigers. Being old enough to remember the bitter rivalry that once existed between the clubs, nowadays we have Barnes singing our praises , Bath donating Hawkins to us and us donating legends to them. Strange days.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Not many of the "Old Leicester Guard" left now is there....
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Good luck Danny boy, at least going to Bath there's little chance of him doing to us what he did to Sarries in last years final.

Shame to lose him but what a choice we have in the centres still! :smt039
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

That's a shame. I can understand from his perspective why he's leaving, but I would rather have kept him and done without Tait or Matt Smith, despite the age difference. Am guessing Hipkiss is currently on more money though! I still think Hipkiss is massively underrated by Tigers fans in general. He gets a lot of negative comments for not passing, but having watched rugby from the end of the pitch for the last 15 years, I think he runs the best lines of any outside centre I've seen play for us in that period and consistently makes the correct decision about whether to pass or not. There's no point shipping it out if there's no space and plenty of cover out there. Add to that his consistently good defensive play and ability to stay on his feet in the tackle, plus some notable efforts in big games (vs Ospreys in first Anglo-Welsh final when he was awesome, the losing HC final when him and Erinle outplayed BOD and D'Arcy, the game against Stade at WR and last year's Premiership winning try all come to mind) and he'll definitely be missed. It's a real shame that he's had so many injuries since 2007 as I think otherwise he could have made England's 13 shirt his own, let alone Tigers. Good luck to him at Bath.
Joe The Tigers Fan
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I have always liked Hippo as a player but he is limited in the positions he can play, I can't remember him other than at outside centre. Nowadays you need people who are able play in at least two positions to cover for the wage cap imposed. Tait will give us that for, probably, a slightly cheaper wage. I believe Tait has better vision than Hipkiss, but is less secure in holding onto the ball
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
chris whelan

Post by chris whelan »

He was always been a favourite of mine and deserves a change of luck for the better in his career - 110% trier.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Pretty gutted.
Chesterfield Chris
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Chesterfield Chris »

Good luck Danny - please don't score against us. Probably releases some cash to spend on others.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I was right to worry about Dan all those months ago.

A great shame.
Still keeping the faith!
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

A great shame but we can't afford to keep all the stars, esp when there are youngsters coming through...
cheers
Rich
Owly tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Owly tiger »

A great player and a really nice guy. Shame to see him go. His strength in the tackle is massively underrated, and he does run some amazing lines... In terms of position I think he played on the wing for England once, to cover an injury in the second half...
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

There is little doubt that in todays game there is little or no room for sentimentality within the salary cap.

Once players reach international level and their salary is commensurate with that, if their form, or injury, or age makes them less effective, they stand out like a sore thumb! And so follow some hard thinking and tough decisions.

As the salary cap bites further, the decisions will get more harsh. For example, do you employ Croft or Newby? Assuming both are fit, Croft will be missing for at least 13 weeks (1/3 of the season), more in a WC year. Newby available for the whole season.
Always a Tiger