Castro signs new contract! (merged threads)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Castro signs new contract! (merged threads)

Post by iceman_19 »

Good news - didn't want to spoil the party as I too am delighted to hear he's staying. The man is an icon of the club. Just wanted to double check we won't be losing another future icon!
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Good news! Can I shave off my beard and have a haircut now?
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

iceman_19 wrote:Good news - didn't want to spoil the party as I too am delighted to hear he's staying. The man is an icon of the club. Just wanted to double check we won't be losing another future icon!
Good news iceman? Understatement if ever I heard one! It is fantastic news, I yelled when I recieved the text.

I am not sure if it is his appearance, his swaggering style, his expertise in the dark arts, his local hostelries or his iconic personality but he identifies with the fans like no other player in the squad. You just need to listen to the cheer he gets when his name is read out.
Always a Tiger
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

For me, Blunt, its because Castro is a huge, handsome, debonair latino who could be a success in cosmopolitan Buenos Aries or in historic , passionate Italy but he chooses to get a sweat on in the mud and cold of Oval park in the Midlands because of the pride in the garish hooped shirt we love so much.

IMAGINE his love for Tigers when he could live la vida loca in the sunshine somewhere ?

And now to turn down cash to stay here is legendary. He is a Tigers fan maybe more than we all are. Thats why I think he connect with fans. Oh and he is a brilliant player.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

premiership rugby official release
Martin Castrogiovanni has committed his future to Leicester Tigers after agreeing a new contract with the defending English champions.
The Italy international tighthead prop is approaching 100 appearances for the club and has been a big hit with team-mates and supporters since his arrival at Welford Road in 2006.
Named Premiership Player of the Year in his debut season in 2006/07, Castrogiovanni has won three league titles with Tigers in his first four years with the club as well as playing in the 2009 Heineken Cup Final and 2007 EDF Energy Cup Final.
Tigers director of rugby Richard Cockerill said: “Castro is a world-class player and we are delighted that he has decided to stay here.
“He has moved to the top levels of the game during his time with us and our environment certainly suits him. He is happy in Leicester, he is very popular with the supporters and with his team-mates.
“Everyone knows that Castro has had opportunities to go elsewhere, but he has shown his commitment to the Tigers and we’re looking forward to his continued contribution in the future.
“Together with Dan Cole and Julian White, we have a group of top-class tighthead props and we want to keep them together to work as a group. With the increasing intensity of the professional game it is certainly an advantage to have top-class options available and to be able to keep players fresh in order to perform consistently at their best.”
Castrogiovanni said: “A player has to think about of lot of things when he is trying to decide on the future, and money is not everything. I have always said that I enjoy my rugby at Leicester Tigers, I like it here and I always had in my mind that I wanted to stay.
“The club and the players have been great for me and I am very happy here.
"The supporters have been brilliant. The support they have shown me, especially recently, has been unbelievable.
“I am extremely happy that we have now come to an agreement with the club.
“I am really proud to be part of this club. I want to give 100 per cent for the shirt because it is a Leicester Tigers shirt.”
Leicester Tigers chairman Peter Tom CBE said: “It is great news for the club that Castro has agreed to stay. He has attracted offers from elsewhere but, in considering all of his options, including his relationship with this club and its supporters, and his lifestyle and business interests here, he has decided that this is where his future lies.
“A large number of our supporters and season ticket holders own shares in the club and thousands of them contribute in terms of ticket sales so they all have a part to play.
“We have tremendously loyal supporters and one of the reasons behind our success is that the revenue we receive from season ticket sales allows us to maximise expenditure on the squad within the salary cap where some other clubs may be unable to do so.
“We also invest significantly in support of the playing side, in preparation, conditioning and training facilities, and in the quality of our back-room staff, all with the aim of maintaining our success in the long term.
“All of these factors are important when players are considering a future with us.
“There is a unique culture at this club which has been established over many years and players know they can develop with us inside a winning, successful environment.”
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Thank you everyone who wrote to Santa and prayed to the Baby Jeebus for Castro to stay.

"When you wish upon a star........"

(Now did I include a win away in Dublin on my Santa list?)
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I don't rate him! ...................................................................
.....................................................only joking:)
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

A bad week just got a lot better....cheers Castro! The circumstances (as reported) say a lot about the man and the club.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Well done whoever it was who suggested that people wear Castro beards and wigs to matches! It obviously helped to do the trick - they were noticed by Castro! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
Valhalla I am coming!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

iceman_19 wrote:Is anyone else slightly worried that this might mean Coley is off? His last couple of performances have been massive...
Purebob wrote:If you read the club's statement it says how with Castro Cole and Jules we have the luxury of playing tight heads at their peak and minimizing injury. I think the ability to play " tag team" props is amazing. Hunting in packs was always a great technique :)
I agree that having FOUR top class props is wonderful for our club (and almost vital for success in the modern game). Stains front two are good, but after 60 mins against any of ours, they despair to see two more top class players coming on to replace them, whilst stains have nothing like the bench depth we do in the front row....

DC is a very level headed bloke for one so young - he won't go chasing the ££ either and knows he can learn a tremendous amount from the coaches, Whitey & Castro over the next few years at Tigers.

Well done Castro :smt041
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

fleabane wrote:Well done whoever it was who suggested that people wear Castro beards and wigs to matches! It obviously helped to do the trick - they were noticed by Castro! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
A good lad called Shaun Gibson started a facebook campaign. Roped me and my family in amongst a bunch of others. Castro laughed his socks off at my missus, kids and young female friend of the family waiting for him after the games wearing fake beards.

Shaun and Eddy Crowe deserve all the credit for the campaign and any effect it may have had !
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

It just proves that large sums of money do not always entice players unless they are journeymen!!.Castro has proved tradition, club ethos, trophy winning and fan base mean more to players (more often) than fat pay cheques.

GREAT SIGNING :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

bluntiger wrote:
iceman_19 wrote:Good news - didn't want to spoil the party as I too am delighted to hear he's staying. The man is an icon of the club. Just wanted to double check we won't be losing another future icon!
Good news iceman? Understatement if ever I heard one! It is fantastic news, I yelled when I recieved the text.

I am not sure if it is his appearance, his swaggering style, his expertise in the dark arts, his local hostelries or his iconic personality but he identifies with the fans like no other player in the squad. You just need to listen to the cheer he gets when his name is read out.
:smt035 :smt035 :smt035 :smt035

Ditto bluntiger. Castro is an icon at this club and loved by the fans. It put a smile on my face and I will be on cloud 9 if anyone wants me.

CASTROGIOVANNI - PURE GOLD
Philip J Gray
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

tigermad wrote:CASTROGIOVANNI - PURE GOLD
Would've looked better if written in GOLD Tigermad, but at least now Stade Francais fans are as close as they'll get to seeing Castro in Pink :smt019
:smt023

I'm still smiling from this news....brilliant!
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
TomR96
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TomR96 »

I'm so glad Castro has signed a new contract, he's a class player, and thats why top french rugby clubs wanted him. For him to resign with the Tigers, there must be a pay rise. :smt004