Alain Rolland

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

taffyboiy
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Alain Rolland

Post by taffyboiy »

Jay C - I think you misunderstood me mate - I wasn't commending Mr Rolland for not pinging TTTE for hands in the ruck, merely pointing out that he let us get away with something we wouldn't normally. I know Rolland didn't see it, but refs often give decisions based on things they haven't seen, (usually cos they've turned momentarily to check the backs haven't crept up offside!). As such, I'll take a few odd decisions at the scrums and lineouts, cos Ben Youngs's try was fairly decisive I thought.
Tanner Bank Boy

Post by Tanner Bank Boy »

Roland is no worse than anyone else. Calling him a 'homer' is pathetic, he's only going to call it as HE SEES, as Youngs try showed. Tuliangis penalty for a late hit in the first have was a travesty, he ran into a man 5 stone smaller than himself and would have done an Arsenal player proud with his dive! Roland saw it out of the corner of his eye and was tricked. Owens is a good ref in Europe but shocking in the Magners. Pearson made a few bad calls in Toulon today.
My point is if you're the better team you will prevail. Unforunately Roland was not a homer or the mighty Scarlets would have won!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Tanner Bank Boy wrote:Roland is no worse than anyone else. Calling him a 'homer' is pathetic, he's only going to call it as HE SEES, as Youngs try showed. Tuliangis penalty for a late hit in the first have was a travesty, he ran into a man 5 stone smaller than himself and would have done an Arsenal player proud with his dive! Roland saw it out of the corner of his eye and was tricked. Owens is a good ref in Europe but shocking in the Magners. Pearson made a few bad calls in Toulon today.
My point is if you're the better team you will prevail. Unforunately Roland was not a homer or the mighty Scarlets would have won!
Agree with most of what you say but you spoilt it with the last bit. The mighty Scarlets wouldnt have won in a blue moon. :smt039
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Tanner Bank Boy

Post by Tanner Bank Boy »

Rupert MOON has retired I'm afraid.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Rupert MOON has retired I'm afraid
Good reposte.

However back to your point about the Tuilagi incident. I had a heated debate with two Scarlets supporters in front of me at the time.

If you are right and Tuilagi just ran straight into the man then it was no penaly.

If however he deliberately took Tuilagi out with the possibility of a try being scored, which is what Rolland apparently saw, then it is at least a penaly and a sin bin.

Either way Rolland made a bad call and that is what most of us are saying on here.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The Tuillagi incident was penalised not for blocking but because the player dipped his shoulder into Tuillagi.

Alain Rolland may not be the greatest ref but the Tigers don't seem to learn that backchat isn't going to help. Murphy's yapping against the French cost us what might be a vital 3 points when the penalty was advanced 10m into kicking range.

Saturday saw the Tigers warned for backchat, penalised for it then a player sin binned. Tigers seem to be plunging into soccer behaviour.
johnh

Post by johnh »

mol2 - I think you're mistaken about the 'blocking' penalty on AT. From what I saw (on TV) Alex ran straight into the opposing player as he did last weekend against Northampton. The opposing player does not have to move out of the way. That being so, how can "dipping the shoulder" constitute a penalty? If I guy of Alex's size was running at me at 12mph and I couldn't get out of the way I take some action that would protect me from the impact. That's an instinctive reaction that anyone would take, even a rugby player. No, I don't think it was a penalty and Mr. Rolland got that one wrong.
As for the pass from Waldrom to Youngs, Mr. Rolland clearly didn't see it but one wonders where the AR was looking. Two incorrect decisions that went in our favour (IMO) but I still think we would have won anyway.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

I've not read all the posts just the first page but i'm glad i wasn't the only fan screaming at the tv about inconsistency and poor reffing. He was awful but when he refs tigers he always is.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

The Tuillagi incident was penalised not for blocking but because the player dipped his shoulder into Tuillagi.

Alain Rolland may not be the greatest ref but the Tigers don't seem to learn that backchat isn't going to help. Murphy's yapping against the French cost us what might be a vital 3 points when the penalty was advanced 10m into kicking range.
Are you seriously suggesting that it was because Alain Rolland noticed a dipped shoulder that he gave the penalty. If so I suggest you had the benefit of watching the TV replay 3 times and listening to the TV pundits who make it up as it goes along.

In the same way as they now have regarding the back chat. Which will now become another so called acknowledged behaviour of Tigers. i.e. same old Tigers always cheating as made up by Dewi Morriss.

I would be the first to agree that we are too frequently guilty of indiscipline. But generally back chat is not one of them. Find me an incident in the Premiership this season and last when we conceded a penalty through back chat to the referee? Whilst not condoning it I personally find it significant that it did happen at the end of the game against Perpignan and at the end of the first half against Scarlets.

This tells me that the players had become totally frustrated and insensed at the interpretations of the laws being applied by the referee. In both cases Magners league referees. As Bill W has already pointed, it was probably reasonable to have a Magners referee for the Perpignan games as neither side has one officiating week in week out. But was it reasonable for the game against Scarlets?
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

He is one of these referees whose interference with the scrummaging is ruining this aspect of the game.

I am sick of hearing commentators who know nothing about the scrum complain about how it is destrying the game as a spectacle instead of saying that it is the referees handling of it that is ruining the game.

His paaaauuuse is so ridiculously long it is impossible to hold and causes reset after reset.

The only commentator who had it right at the weekend was Scott Hastings who advocated, something I have for a long time which is to get rid of the crouch and engagement altogether and allow packs to fold in like they always used to.

This whole engagemnt leads to time wasted and teams that can't scrum like Wasps to cheat and con their way into the almost abolition of the scrummge during a game.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="Bill W (2)"][quote="tig1"]He was poor, no doubt at all.

I have to say though that Tigers backchat throughout the game was a pretty poor way to handle it. You have to handle a referee better than that.

Apart from that gripe, really good effort by the team, and i agree Allen was outstanding.[/quote]

Agreed excellent effort.

I think maybe Deacs did not stand up to Rolland. I can hear Johnno enquiring with eyebrows blazing, and Geordan everso politely "Excuse me Sir, BUT ......................"[/quote]

If my memory serves me correctly, he did at one stage try but was told to be quiet or he would go to the bin
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

If the posters on this thread know so much about Rolland's style, surely the players must have done their homework too and knew that he pings players who chat back to him?

I thought it was common training to research the officials and play to the way they ref. Anything less makes us sound like rank amateurs!

On the other hand, he did seem to have been listening for comments between the players. I thought Castro was talking to George, not making a comment to the ref. Surely they can't give a penalty every time players talk to each other - or maybe he can. Trappist rugby, maybe.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Problem is that is the if the ref is inconsistent and somewhat arbitary (which AR is) with the decisions then it's difficult to allow for it in training.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
oldborotiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by oldborotiger »

Just watched the match again, and that interception by TTTE. Not sure how they got a penalty from a kick into their 22 near the halfway line. typical of the reffing on they day methinks. :smt017
Remember diplomacy is letting other people have what you want