Bargain Train Travel to Leeds Feb 13th

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

skoda136

Bargain Train Travel to Leeds Feb 13th

Post by skoda136 »

Fancied an away match and haven't been to Leeds since my student days. Now living in Huntingdon and just booked the train for me and my 7 yr old at £8 each way for me, and £4 each way for the lad!

This may be so cheap because Leeds is on the main line (via Huntingdon) to London, but I know a fair number of Tigers fans live locally and so wanted to make folks aware. Now this may be cheap as its (just) over one month before travel. My return is to Burley Park (a short walk to the Headingley ground) train arrives at 1pm, lunch and a few pints (at the Skyrack or the Oak in Headlingley) before the 3pm ko, then train back from Leeds at 18.05, home before 8pm.

Should be a great day, as long as the league or Sky or ESPN don't decide to show the match and change ko times (at the moment this match isn't being televised).

Hope this helps someone.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Bargain Train Travel to Leeds Feb 13th

Post by watsonjm »

Hi,

Very interested this. Where did u book the tickets? As when I look on the train line the cheapest return is £70?

Having just had another look I'm guessing u book 2 singles?
skoda136

Post by skoda136 »

Hi watsonjm,

Yes we bought singles: Huntingdon to Burley Park (£8 each way), same price to Leeds so saves getting a bus or taxis from the station. Burley Park is a short walk to Headlingley, I seem to remember, but it was 15 years ago that I lived in Leeds! Also seems like there's no changes from Huntingdon to Leeds (normally I'd change at Peterborough and typically miss the connection, so having it direct from Huntingdon is a bonus).

Haven't been away with Tigers for a long time, would you recommend getting tickets through Tigers, or direct through Leeds (you can select your seat that way), or turn up on the day? I'm taking my 7yo so I'd like a decent view for him.

Cheers
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

Went to Leeds last year as thought they might be relegated! Bought tickets through Tigers. Seats were usual away type seats - sideways on but level with the try line.

Attendance was fairly low so would think it should not be difficult to get ticket on the day. However, you could always check with their ticket office. If you do ring them you might even decide to book a ticket through them to make sure you've got one where you want to be. :smt045

Good luck and enjoy the game. :smt023
Sponsorship deals may come and go but the CRUMBIE stand will always remain.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Leeds have got an excellent covered terrace - steep , with excellent views and plenty of room ( your son will be able to see o.k ) . We did that train journey last year - worked well .
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

My daughter is a student at Leeds Headingly and we are going to see her on this day and take in the game.

We are hoping to be able to pay on the gate as according to the Carnegie Unoffy site this is one game where they have walk ups. Just hope they're right.

We are driving from Chesterfield so won't be needing the train.
byrontiger

Post by byrontiger »

Did you find these prices on Network rail? I can never find bargains like that.

If any of you know how to avoid the ridiculous priceing and any helpful websites please let me know.

A heartfelt plea from the South coast wasteland. :smt022
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick and crushing.
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

Nice one, :smt023

Might do this one, I couldn't believe that price for a single to Leeds, but found the same price on National Rail, well done for letting others know.
Thanks
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

Very strange ticket pricing policy! If you buy a Return ticket it costs "from" £60, but if you buy 2 singles it costs £16 (£8 x2), but when you click through to buy the price actually DROPS to £7.10 each way on an EC Advanced deal.
skoda136

Post by skoda136 »

No problem Grumpydad, You did well to get that extra discount.

May see you on the train?

Think I'll buy match tickets through the Leeds website as it allows you to select your seats.

Also got 4 x premiership final tickets for £12 each + booking fee today, its up in the top of the toppermost tier at Twickers, but we did the same last year and we had a fab time - lets hope Tigers make it there again.
Gray

Post by Gray »

Each time I've been to Headingley I've paid at the gate.

Last year I emailed Leeds, who replied that tickets would be available at the gate, but it would be best to buy online, in case of a sell out match.
Yeah, right. I guessed they wanted the money upfront so they could earn interest on it....

re train tickets:
It's always worth looking at breaking a train journey into several blocks, and buying a return ticket for each, rather than one ticket for the whole journey:
eg, a return from Leicester to Nottingham or Derby, Nottingham/Derby to Sheffield, Sheffield to Leeds.
As long as the train stops at each revelant station, it can be cheaper than one ticket. No need to disembark at each station, just hand over the relevant ticket each time the inspector comes around.
GEH

Post by GEH »

Couple of things.

Think East Coast rail is direct from Huntingdon only cos of engineering works south of there - so the no changes journey could be a one off.

....and for those buying tickets (like me) on the day allow time to queue at the small ticket office as cash is not taken at the turnstiles.