What's Marcos got to do?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

What's Marcos got to do?

Post by bc »

Before anyone gets the wrong idea this is not a moan! The MOTM is always an individuals opinion and Deacon certainly was a worthy candidate as were several others including Skivington. However, IMO the award should have gone to Marcos Ayerza, 1 try assist and 1 try, immense in the loose and around the pitch and solid at scrum time. Not sure what else he had to do to get MOTM in the game (a hatrick maybe?).
Anyway, Deeks MOTM award will not do us any favours - Johnno announces 32 man 6 nations squad this week and some of the papers are saying that Deeks will be back in the squad.
Any other views on MOTM at yesterday's game?
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What's Marcos got to do?

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

bc wrote:Any other views on MOTM at yesterday's game?
Skivington - great in the air and constantly nailing the scrum half without once being called for offside.

Saints were being pushing backwards and having their scrum half in the ruck preventing quick ball and losing almost half of their lineouts (those that weren't called for not straight) made it almost impossible for them to do anything
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

MOTM - the whole rudy lot of them. Each did a fantastic job in a fantastic team effort. We stood toe to toe with the team most people regard as being the best in England and beat them. In the first game we had new players settling in and injuries to key backs and forwards. Over the 2 games we have +3 points difference and have outscored them 5 tries to 4.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Perhaps the expectation at scrum time for everyone concerned is too high- having an even scrum contest might be considered a failure when Leicester are perceived to have an infallible scrum.
That said, he was clearly brilliant (like everyone else) in the lineout.

I think at the moment you could select your motm from Waldrom, Crane and Newby before the games are even started and not be far wrong at the end of them!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

There were 15 great performances yesterday. Picking MOTM is virtually impossible. :smt017

One man who hasn't been mentioned is Mr Dan Cole. Obviously he didn't play for too long so I don't seriously think he is a MOTM contender, but boy did he make a difference when he came on - I thought his intro was the moment the game really swung our way. He was immense. :smt023
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

POSTIGER wrote:There were 15 great performances yesterday. Picking MOTM is virtually impossible. :smt017

One man who hasn't been mentioned is Mr Dan Cole. Obviously he didn't play for too long so I don't seriously think he is a MOTM contender, but boy did he make a difference when he came on - I thought his intro was the moment the game really swung our way. He was immense. :smt023
Would agree that Cole made a difference but credit must go to Castro and Ayerza as well because they mullered the legs off their props. They looked knackered as they came off.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

I think this is the point many are making, now they have lost Murray Stains have not got the depth in props we have. As has been said Dan made the impact that he did because Tonga was out on his feet after battling with Castro for 50 minutes. Had Boris been fit no doubt he would have come on for Marcos and had a similar impact. :smt027
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

Marcos played well (as usual) but I do feel that he could do with a break - he's had a fairly tough few weeks, vs Saints, a tough Exeter pack and Perpignan and he hasn't had the usual rotation from past seasons with Boris. A bit of time off should freshen him up back to his absolute best.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Moose wrote:Marcos played well (as usual) but I do feel that he could do with a break - he's had a fairly tough few weeks, vs Saints, a tough Exeter pack and Perpignan and he hasn't had the usual rotation from past seasons with Boris. A bit of time off should freshen him up back to his absolute best.
Moose would agree with you that Marcos could do with a rest but our other player Stanko who plays there is injured and therefore Marcos cannot get a rest. We had Cole and White on the bench. If Marcos had got injured Castro would have moved to No 1 and Cole would have come on as 3. The other props are too young or have not progressed enough to be selected for important games.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

I know - it's unfortunate that our hand is in effect forced by the injury to Boris - I should have added that for clarity! It may suggest that either investment in another cover loosehead or promotion/fast tracking from within would be worthwhile.
johnh

Post by johnh »

Couldn't call MOTM between Marcos and Skivs. Both outstanding (and the other 13 blokes).
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Marcos deserves MOTM most times he takes to the field, up to others to take it from him.
Since :censored: injury the guy has been a Lord. I was amazed to see him out there Saturday following his knee concerns last week.
He just quietly does the business. For me, albeit inflammationary, choice between Castro and Ayerza ... No contest!
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

Re Stanko - wasn't he involved in the warm-up ? If so, must be just about ready to return.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Stanko was in the warm up so could be back soon.

Marcos did get a few weeks off during the autumn internationals as Argentina called him up but didnt play him, so he might be a bit fresher than you might otherwise think.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Stanko was in the warmup and looked fit . if the Saints match was next week I think he would have started to shore up the scrum with Marcos coming on later .