A word of praise.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A word of praise.

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

I completely disagree with a lot of the comments here.

Those comments are a clear indication that refereeing performances have become so abysmal that a poor performance is considered to be a good one in comparison with the usual dross that we have to put up with to the point where people start praising the referee.

Pearson was extremely inconsistent.

Penalising players for holding on when the tackler hasn't released at some points then other times penalising the tackler. This appeared at times to be random.

Penalising scrum offences at some points and at other times ignoring the same offences.

Failing to notice that a scrum had collapsed one one side for a full minute allowing the other side of the scrum to continue to push before blowing his whistle. Very dangerous.

The random penalty he gave to us in the second half which was not a penalty at all.

The usual failure to penalise crooked feeds at both scrum and lineout.

Ignoring the deliberate block on Alex Tuilagi which stopped a try from being scored.

Calling a knock on in the first half for a ball that had gone backwards then was kicked forwards.

Failing then to call a knock on in a similar situation in the second half.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:I completely disagree with a lot of the comments here.

And you are entitled to.

However, to take just one of the points you make, the block on AT. This was dealt with extensively on Sky. The replays showed that Pearson called it correctly. AT ran in to the guy who made no movement.

In more general terms, I am often critical of referees. I recognise (having done it) that it is a difficult job. I also recognise that often the referee (and his assistants) are better placed to make fine judgements than us in the stands or even watching 2D replays. We can agree that the overall standard of refereeing is not good enough. However, I believe sincerely, that Mr. Pearsons on Saturday was one of the better performances.
Still keeping the faith!
johnh

Post by johnh »

YBH - I'm afraid your call on the so called block on AT rather disqualies you on commenting on Mr Pearsons performance. There was no foul and Bill W is absolutely right.
I though the ref did a very good job all things considered and I think most people would say that it was a great game to watch which I think speaks volumes for how DP reffed it.
The most important thing is - WE WON
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

As soon as Mr Pearson realised he could rely on the terrace for calls on knock ons and squint throws the game went along quite nicely.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I have thought, for some time, that Dave Pearson is probably the most consistent premiership ref. In my opinion, he refs fair and most times neither team can have any complaints.
I also think that he shows up least mentioned in terms of complaints and/or negative comments by team coaches.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

johnh wrote:YBH - I'm afraid your call on the so called block on AT rather disqualies you on commenting on Mr Pearsons performance. There was no foul and Bill W is absolutely right.
I though the ref did a very good job all things considered and I think most people would say that it was a great game to watch which I think speaks volumes for how DP reffed it.
I'm afraid you are incorrect. I was at the game and saw it in real time. i cannot comment on what the opinion of Sky commentators was but they are regularly incorrect anyway.

The player turned his shoulder into Tuilagi and therefore blocked him, if the player had turned away from Tuilagi to chase the ball then it is not a block, but he clearly turned into Tuilagi expecting Tuilagi to make contact with him therefore it was a block and a penalty.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:
johnh wrote:YBH - I'm afraid your call on the so called block on AT rather disqualies you on commenting on Mr Pearsons performance. There was no foul and Bill W is absolutely right.
I'm afraid you are incorrect. I was at the game and saw it in real time. i cannot comment on what the opinion of Sky commentators was but they are regularly incorrect anyway.

The player turned his shoulder into Tuilagi and therefore blocked him, if the player had turned away from Tuilagi to chase the ball then it is not a block, but he clearly turned into Tuilagi expecting Tuilagi to make contact with him therefore it was a block and a penalty.
I think you probably need to take your balaclava off and look at the game again Foden stood his ground and did not move in any way Alex ran into him absolutely not a penalty
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I was there too and didn't think it was a block at the time, and having seen the TV recording since I still don't - Dave Pearson and (bless him) Stuart Barnes were both right. Ben Foden stood still and Alex ran into him: he's neither required to get out of the way, nor is he required to lead with his ribs.

However, the block on Geordan to prevent him tackling Ben Foden was absolutely deliberate - I thought so at the time and it is glaringly obvious on the TV recording.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Pearson let both teams compete at the breakdown by not continually blowing up for infringements, so long as they didn't change the flow of the game. He didn't miss much in open play either.

I wouldn't object if all refs had a game on par with DP's.
Valhalla I am coming!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

fleabane wrote:I wouldn't object if all refs had a game on par with DP's.

I would positively applaud!
Still keeping the faith!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

It wasn't a block because there was a negligible amount of time for Foden to move and as the commentators on Sky er.. commented he had no obligation to step out of the way.

I thought Pearson was okay, I can see why Saints fans may have been frustrated as we got most of the 50-50 calls but then again Mujati was boring in at the scrum to put the pressure on George. There were about 6 early scrums in which he didn't go in square on once and Mr Pearson allowed that!
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
johnh

Post by johnh »

Sorry YBH but are wrong. I too was at the game and the incident occured right in front of me. AT ran straight into Foden. Foden did not move and despite what you think you saw he did not turn his shoulder into Alex (and even if he had that is not obstruction). In any case, Foden was not obliged to step out of the way. Ref was spot on.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

DickyP wrote:Except for a perfect American Football style block on Geordan Murphy which almost gave Saints another try! Pity all three officials were looking elsewhere otherwise it would have been an instant yellow card.

Dave Pearson was, as usual, pretty consistent which what I really want in my officials. The players know where they stand with him. I agree with you taffyboiy - I'd settle for a reffing performance like this every week too.
Spot on, especially regarding the block on GM.
nottslad

Post by nottslad »

You are entitled to your opinion, however I saw it in real time & on sky & again tonight on ITV, no foul by foden, correct decision!!
also Cockerill in interview stated how well the ref played!!! so if its good enough for RC its good enough for me!!
glass is half full
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

I thought pearson favoured the stains in the first half and didn't penalise them when they stood up in the scrums. Generally tho quite a fairly reffed game better than most.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15