It feels like an undeserved privilege

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7008
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: angus , scotland

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by tigerburnie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:26 pm

If people have a feeling that we are not performing in certain areas of play,point them out so we can debate them.Please don't come on and say we don't deserve to be where we are,our players/coaches have done everything they can to get us there.BE PROUD OF YOUR TEAMS ACHIEVEMENTS and support them.


At the risk of repeating myself ,I think it is pertinent to do just that.

Last year folk complained we were not playing enough of our "squad",this year we have been forced to do this again.Therefore we are blooding new players and we are in a better position points wise.
Steve Johnson(a former Tigers captain)said during the commentary on BBC radio Leicester,that his only concern is we seem to make a couple wrong decisions.One was a quick tap penalty,instead of the safer kick at goal.So the team is critisised for being dull and also when they try some flair.
Guess the old saying that you can't please all of the people is very true.
There's a bit of a party atmosphere around Bath this afternoon - but you wouldn't get that at Leicester if we finished ninth." Richard Cockerill 7/5/16

hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:25 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by hugh78 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:27 pm

If your thread is not a wind up (It must be), and you feel like we do not deserve to be top because we have not been playing 'champagne rugby' then a) we have scored 10 more tries than any other team.
b)remember this is the attritional, workmanlike aviva premiership and we are leicester tigers and not the Harlem globetrotters and c) get used to it: unless the salary cap is changed we will have smaller or less experienced squads each year. To criticise the coaching staff at this stage, given we are top and doing better than last season with significantly fewer players and fewer big names in the squad unbelievable.

adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1252
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: Preston

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by adamv6 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:27 pm

You cant write things like that and expect to be taken seriously
This is why this forum has turned to rat :censored: . People find more fun abusing people than actually discussing.

TB1, I have my reticence, because, whilst he is obviously a good player, I find that spends far too much time standing in the centres. IMHO, whilst Jordan Crane may not be as dynamic a ball carrier, we seem able to retain ball better at the breakdown when he is on the pitch than when TTTE is.

I am also reticent as well because when we are playing TTTE, we are normally depriving an English player a position in the side, which in the long term hurts both Tigers and England.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/

hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:25 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by hugh78 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:29 pm

I think TTTE has stated he would like to play for England in the future.

MUNDEANY
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 6:20 pm

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by MUNDEANY » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:47 pm

I thinck we are the Man U of rugby. Play rubbish a lot opf the time but ( importantly) we will be in the mix come end of season. Pete

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User
Posts: 14868
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by Bill W (2) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:57 pm

The entire PRL set up - fixture arrangements, release of international players, resting of international players, salary cap, distribution of RFU and TV monies through to end of season play-offs - is designed to ensure that no one or even two clubs dominate the Premiership. In that context Tigers and Saints are remarkable, although it is worth remembering that Saints were relegated a few seasons ago and that we (Tigers and Saints) have larger fan bases than of any of the other clubs.
Still keeping the faith!

tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:50 pm

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by tb1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:10 pm

adamv6 wrote:
You cant write things like that and expect to be taken seriously
This is why this forum has turned to rat s h i t. People find more fun abusing people than actually discussing.

TB1, I have my reticence, because, whilst he is obviously a good player, I find that spends far too much time standing in the centres. IMHO, whilst Jordan Crane may not be as dynamic a ball carrier, we seem able to retain ball better at the breakdown when he is on the pitch than when TTTE is.

I am also reticent as well because when we are playing TTTE, we are normally depriving an English player a position in the side, which in the long term hurts both Tigers and England.
I disagree entirely regarding your statement on the health of this forum.

If you constitute what I wrote as "abuse" then I worry that you must have pretty thin skin.

The biggest problem with this forum is that on occasion some posters have a desire to write a lot of what I would categorise as nonsense. Whenever somebody challenges them they hide behind the concept of having the right to an opinion.

That being true, it shouldn't excuse said opinion being received negatively and harshly criticised.

I thank you for substantiating your opinion, it is a lot more than many posters do. Having said that I don't wish to engage with it as, as I said, I find it to be farcical.

I hope you don't take my above comments as abuse, it is meant simply as an expression of my opinion, which I am sure you agree that I have a right to.
:smt006

kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1853
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:03 pm
Location: stourbridge

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by kevf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:31 pm

TigerAlex wrote:
kevf wrote:ohh woe is us... how dare we take advantage of the other team making a mistake... how very dare we...

FGS.. we are top.. albeit because of a copuple of games we have played when other teams haven't... but we have those points in the bag the other teams will have to play thiose games at a time when they may be packing games in... we have scored the most tries... most TB points..

HOW VERY DARE WE ....

Now lets all enjoy what we have while we have it.. :smt013
Except that we haven't really taken advantage of other teams' mistakes. Taking advantage of other teams' mistakes is intercepting a loose pass or pouncing on a poorly fielded kick (as the Tuilagis did against Exeter last week). And that's fine and a mark of a good team. However, not conceding a try in a game due to a team not taking advantage of a four on two overlap is plain luck at this level and not something we can afford to rely on every week. I have no problems with the management of the team or the players themselves and I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't be at the top of the table, but to me it does feel lucky that we're there right now. While it's true that we could have feasibly had however many more points because of missed opportunities, it's also true that we could have had a fair few less because of other teams' missed opportunities (eg the Harlequins game). The apparent dependence on other teams making unforced errors worries me. That is all. I don't think we're as dominant as lots of people are saying.

Also, I really dislike the attitude of many on here that to criticise the team's performance means the person can't be a 'true supporter' or is stupid. Everyone has a right to their opinion and I think this thread, whilst perhaps a bit strongly worded is a valid one. Afterall, just because you're winning doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement.

Ok so let me get this right... we havent taken advantage of other teams mistakes yet we have the most points scored and tries... so either we have true skill and a dam good attacking team or we are taking advantage of other teams mistakes... the figures don;t lie! we have the most try bonus points that means we have had more games this season where we have scored 4 tries or more.. yes maybe we could of had more.. but thats doesn't mean we are playing badly are where we are by pure luck so either something is going right for us.. or everyone else is playing :censored:... i'd say we have taken our chances yes mistkjaes have been made... but still we are where bwe are ... lets give a bit of acknowledgement to the guys... saying that always room for improvement and i doubt any rugby player would ever say and different...but we are still not doing terrible and only where we are by pure luck...

where did i say anything like the words true supporter? ..please enlighten me ohh wise one... I merely gave my opinionb which differs to yours... i tget ***** when we are at the top of the table most tries scored most bonus points and people come herer and say we are lucky or words to that effect... although i believe in criticism .. what mostt people on thsi forum forget is praise.. they go hand in hand... if the team is playing well i'll say so if the play bad i say so.. mind you i ternd to not say much now because either brigade jumkp down your throat....
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal

adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1252
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: Preston

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by adamv6 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:34 pm

JGriffin, I couldn't have put it any better.

TB1, my comments about abuse were more based at the troll who called me an :censored:.

However, you seem to indulge more in slamming others comments as 'nonsense' and 'farcical'.

And don't say you're just using 'you right to an opinion'.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User
Posts: 14868
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by Bill W (2) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:55 pm

jgriffin wrote:.And I only care about beating Stains in the final!
Beg to disagree (well I cannot, of course, disagree with that that is all you care about because you have asserted that it is). May I at least suggest that the progress towards this great feat (and great feat it would be) is also apposite.

I care about developing players and not developing players. About grinding out wins when the opposition or the ref or injuries or international call ups, or a combination of those, conspire to prevent the dazzling tbp win.

I want us to win every match. I know we wont but that does not stop me wanting us to. And I want us to develop players so that we can achieve the same next year, and the year after and the year after that.
Still keeping the faith!

Rizzo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12061
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by Rizzo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Okay look - I have had to go through every post on this thread, and a number of others elsewhere, editing out swear words and abusive terms. There have been several complaints registered about this thread in particular.

You all KNOW that swearing and abuse/name-calling is not permitted.

I would hope that the majority of users have enough intelligence and sense to be able to debate without swearing and name calling. People are entitled to express opinions, disagreeing and debating is what the forum is about, but not by breaking forum rules. There is an automatic censor, but using asterisks, spaces, or other characters instead of the letters of a swear word to get round the automatic filter simply means the moderators will edit the post by hand.

If users persist in abuse or name calling and swearing, they will receive a warning, continuing after that will result in a ban.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother

TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by TigerAlex » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:35 pm

kevf wrote: Ok so let me get this right... we havent taken advantage of other teams mistakes yet we have the most points scored and tries... so either we have true skill and a dam good attacking team or we are taking advantage of other teams mistakes... the figures don;t lie! we have the most try bonus points that means we have had more games this season where we have scored 4 tries or more.. yes maybe we could of had more.. but thats doesn't mean we are playing badly are where we are by pure luck so either something is going right for us.. or everyone else is playing :censored:... i'd say we have taken our chances yes mistkjaes have been made... but still we are where bwe are ... lets give a bit of acknowledgement to the guys... saying that always room for improvement and i doubt any rugby player would ever say and different...but we are still not doing terrible and only where we are by pure luck...

where did i say anything like the words true supporter? ..please enlighten me ohh wise one... I merely gave my opinionb which differs to yours... i tget ***** when we are at the top of the table most tries scored most bonus points and people come herer and say we are lucky or words to that effect... although i believe in criticism .. what mostt people on thsi forum forget is praise.. they go hand in hand... if the team is playing well i'll say so if the play bad i say so.. mind you i ternd to not say much now because either brigade jumkp down your throat....
Ok, first, and I know people are probably going to jump down my throat for this, I found it very difficult to actually understand what you were saying because of the number of typos. I'm not trying to antagonise you, but it's just so you know that if I haven't responded to an important point, it's probably because I couldn't understand what you'd typed. Maybe other people can understand it all just fine, but there are bits that I can't and since your response was directed at me, I feel I should let you know, should you want to continue the discussion. I think I've got the gist, but I apologise if I haven't responded to something you wanted a response to. I am also not implying that your arguments are any less valid.

In response to your post, I'm not saying that we're only at the top through pure luck. I'm also not talking about little mistakes. It would be a bit of a futile hope for all mistakes to be cut out of games. However, it is the frequency with which teams we've played against have had some pretty damn good try scoring opportunities which haven't been due to particularly good attacking moves. As for most tries scored, if you'd bothered reading my previous posts, it's not the attack I'm criticising. It's the defence. I have already told you what I consider to be 'taking advantage'. Unforced errors do not come into that (unless someone's pounced on the ball and done something with it). If someone under no pressure drops the scoring pass and/or knocks it out into touch, every team 'takes advantage' of that by your definition which does not show that Leicester are better than everyone else.

Where did I say that you said anything about 'true supporters'? Enlighten me oh wise one. If you're wondering, it was more a general comment on people, who are not necessarily you, getting all tetchy whenever someone dares say anything negative about the team (or certain players).

TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by TigerAlex » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:47 pm

Johnnyg wrote: I think we deserve to be where we are, is it a coincidence that teams don't take their chances against us but do against others? Is that luck? Not entirely.
I don't think it's quite a simple as that. Teams have chances, either created by a good attacking move/general good play, or allowed through poor defending. My point was not about other teams taking their chances, but that a significant number were not created but allowed. For all people have insisted that Exeter didn't look like scoring a try, there were a couple of good chances where the scoring pass just went awry. This in spite of Exeter having a 'very simple game plan' and 'lacking flair' (according to some posters). Also, as I have said before, I don't think that where we are now is only down to luck. I feel that there is an element of luck and that we haven't been that consistently convincing so far.

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User
Posts: 14868
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by Bill W (2) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 pm

TigerAlex wrote:
Johnnyg wrote: I think we deserve to be where we are, is it a coincidence that teams don't take their chances against us but do against others? Is that luck? Not entirely.
I don't think it's quite a simple as that. Teams have chances, either created by a good attacking move/general good play, or allowed through poor defending. My point was not about other teams taking their chances, but that a significant number were not created but allowed. For all people have insisted that Exeter didn't look like scoring a try, there were a couple of good chances where the scoring pass just went awry. This in spite of Exeter having a 'very simple game plan' and 'lacking flair' (according to some posters). Also, as I have said before, I don't think that where we are now is only down to luck. I feel that there is an element of luck and that we haven't been that consistently convincing so far.
The lads have lots of things to work on but can nonetheless take several positives from the season so far.

:smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Still keeping the faith!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: neilf, teds and 2 guests