Woeful reffing again

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Woeful reffing again

Post by Bill W (2) »

RaddonChief wrote:You give the impression of being less than impressed with some of the refereeing decisions at Sandy Park yesterday. !
RaddonChief.

Welcome to the forum.

What, I think, many of us complain about, or complain about most, is not that a referee may make a wrong call (was the foot on the line) but that their interpretations are inconsistant such that we cannot understand them and neither can the players.

"Bad calls" will I guess always be with us and will likely even out over a game or over a season. But sometimes allowing the back row to break off before the ball is out and sometimes not is harder to get ones head round as is when diving over the top and sealing off sometimes an offence and sometimes not.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.
Still keeping the faith!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Welcome chief. A lot of fans who regularly post on the forums are rather myopic when it comes to reffing decisions. Refs are human and make mistakes, some more than others but it is the same for both teams on the day. Sometimes the losing team feels aggrieved and sometimes some on here will moan win or loss.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

The way I see it is very black & white - there are good refs (owens,poite,most French refs actually) & there are the rest!! They don't get talked about because they are good at their jobs, unfortunately they can't ref all the games.
Therefore we have to put up with/reading/play to/guess/compensate for etc the others even the so called international standard ones.
It's a shame we seem to spend more time discussing what the ref was doing or not instead of the actual match.
Broadstaff

Post by Broadstaff »

RaddonChief wrote: Also, on 15 minutes Geordan Murphy made a mark with his front foot actually on the 22 line, which means that he was not within his 22 and therefore not able to make a mark. (Slow-mo ESPN to confirm.)
One foot on the line actually means he was in his 22. Blimey, the ref must have got something right!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

GT1 wrote:
It's a shame we seem to spend more time discussing what the ref was doing or not instead of the actual match.
More often that not the players strengths and weaknesses speak for themselves. Of course AT did not mean to lose the ball in the tackle or Toby miss touch, or Ben get stripped of the ball, or Smith ignore a three man overlpap. And of course Geordans fielding of the high ball was superb and Bubbles line imperious, Crofts positioning on the shoulder impeccable, Waldroms drive superb and Cranes angle perfect.

With the ref it is different. He may be fallible - rumour has it they are human - but why do (some) refs fail to see blatant offences and then pick up on a minor one? Perhaps unreasonably, we expect refs to be both even handed and alert to infingements of the laws of the game.

When a ref misses five blatant instances of players diving off their feet on top of the ball at the breakdown and then pings a different player for not instantly rolling away one wonders "what is going on?" Not at all the same as a player beating five defenders and getting hit by the sixth or even getting hit five times and then breaking past on sixth attempt.

IMHO too many games are spoilt by poor refereeing. They may not change the outcome of the game. But, frankly, they would do the game a service if they sought to apply laws of the game rather than "manage" it.

I would agree with you that Poite (and most French Refs) is good. I would add that Chris White Esq., who I have often been critical of, has improved enormously IMHO to now be excellent. Pearson too. To my eyes SH refs are working to an agenda that I do not understand and Celtic refs (including Owens) have a different set of laws to that published by the IRB.

But what do I know? :smt017
Still keeping the faith!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

I never thought the game was in doubt as it never looked likely that Exeter would score a try. Their only real chances came from Tigers mistakes or turnovers, they created little real try-scoring opportunities purely from their own play.

Don't get me wrong, what they have done so far this season is nothing short of a miracle, and given the play-off system from the championship and the funding debate it is extremely difficult from a recruitment perspective for promoted teams.

But for me Exeter lack flair. They do what they do very well and they are very well organised (good set pieces, competitive in the loose), but they need a sprinkling of game-breakers and that must be their priority if they stay up next season.
Always a Tiger
Leghorn

Post by Leghorn »

Simmo wrote:He certainly had the radio commentators confused with many of his decisions.....
Not as confused as "Blethering Bleddyn" confused me with his references to "Matt Allen" and the gaps in his commentary interspersed with "This must be a certain try for Tigers"....then nothing...Aaarrrggghh!!!