Geordan Murphy...our captain.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DesinVienna
Tiger Cub

Geordan Murphy...our captain.

Post by DesinVienna »

I am amazed and disappointed at some of the comments that I have read recently calling for our captain to be dropped. While I am sure that he himself would agree that he is not playing at the same level than at the peak of his powers he is still, without doubt, one of the finest fullbacks in the northern hemisphere. Yesterday he was peerless under the highball, he ran exceptional lines and I don't remember any defensive lapses.
It is extraordinary that his critics insist on reviewing his performances against the benchmark of his pinnacle rather than on the game itself. We are fortunate to have a player of his calibre and experience leading our squad.
I am sure that many of you agree that Geordan is a huge asset to the Tigers and now is the time to show him and his critics that we are behind him all the way.
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Geordan Murphy...our captain.

Post by TigerS2 »

DesinVienna wrote:I am amazed and disappointed at some of the comments that I have read recently calling for our captain to be dropped. While I am sure that he himself would agree that he is not playing at the same level than at the peak of his powers he is still, without doubt, one of the finest fullbacks in the northern hemisphere. Yesterday he was peerless under the highball, he ran exceptional lines and I don't remember any defensive lapses.
It is extraordinary that his critics insist on reviewing his performances against the benchmark of his pinnacle rather than on the game itself. We are fortunate to have a player of his calibre and experience leading our squad.
I am sure that many of you agree that Geordan is a huge asset to the Tigers and now is the time to show him and his critics that we are behind him all the way.
I agree........
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

TigerS2 wrote:
DesinVienna wrote:I am amazed and disappointed at some of the comments that I have read recently calling for our captain to be dropped. While I am sure that he himself would agree that he is not playing at the same level than at the peak of his powers he is still, without doubt, one of the finest fullbacks in the northern hemisphere. Yesterday he was peerless under the highball, he ran exceptional lines and I don't remember any defensive lapses.
I agree........
If people feel the need to criticise GM then so be it. He like any other player, rightly or wrongly, will be subject to a good dose of abject comments by those that wish to vent their disappointment or even anger at performance. IMO he is not at his best but then it is all part of the decline that sport-persons go through with age. GM has been a top player for the Tigers and may be now he is starting to struggle a wee bit. As he said after the Treviso game, the last 10 mins for him were a struggle to stay with the pace. Players are only human and like the rest of us will decline.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

TigerCam wrote:As he said after the Treviso game, the last 10 mins for him were a struggle to stay with the pace. Players are only human and like the rest of us will decline.
I must admit I missed this admission from Murphy after the Treviso game, but if that is still the case and he is struggling to last the 80 minutes, why on earth don't we bring someone fresh on the bench towards the end? Scotty to full back and Manu on for the last 10/15 mins, for example.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
DesinVienna
Tiger Cub

Post by DesinVienna »

The point is that he is still a fantastic player although he may not be quiet the player that he was. I am sure that he can take criticism. He suffered terribly under the Eddie O'Sullivan regime in Ireland and many members of the press jumped on the bandwagon. Notwithstanding the views of his critics he prevailed. During this time he performed, as he continues to do, tirelessly for the Tigers.
I am not saying that he is exempt from criticism or that his position is guaranteed rather that he should be judged fairly.
AV8TOR

Post by AV8TOR »

Being captain is NOT just about how you are playing though. Take that last penalty that hit the post yesterday.

Would Deano or Johno EVER have chosen to take the kick at the posts ? Your 22 - 19 up approx 5 minutes left on the clock, even assuming you get the 3 points your still only 25 - 19 up, a converted try can still win the game for the opposition. A better captain would surely have put the ball into touch well inside the 22. Your forwards saunter towards the line out, maybe a boot lace or 2 needs doing up on the way, maybe a wet sponge or 2 is needed, you call a group hug to decide what the line out call should be, the ball you are given is not quite to your liking, needs a good wipe, your hooker needs to re-check the call Etc. all the time the clock is running down. The opposition these days let you have the ball at a line out in that position for fear of giving a penalty away. [if they do, you just put the ball back where it came from] So the ball is in your hands 5 / 10 metres Your forwards "Stuff the ball up their jumpers" as the clock counts down. Best case you score a try & your kicker uses his full minute to take the conversion, even if he misses the conversion your still 8 points clear, game won, worst case the clock hits 00.00 you win by 3. The opposition should NEVER have seen the ball again. To ME thats what being a captain is all about.
Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

He still has a great rugby brain and knows how to cut a line. Think back over the last two games on the best breaks by a Tigers player. In the away leg he made a beautiful break down the middle and this week he cut a line of Youngs and nearly made it home.

Fact is we are really struggling to break the line at the moment and he is one of the few players who has the ability to do it.

I've said it before but our centres, whilst solid in defence, lacked massivley going forward. We have a great impact sub in Manu, who has had limited appearances so far this season, but I can remember more clean breaks from him than our centre combined. Manu is the definition of an impact sub so why didn't we use him?

Maybe the reason Geordan is getting tired quicker is because we are having to rely on him to do more than his fair share of work and pick up the slack from others?
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Just because he is out captain doesn't mean he is excused from criticism. It is my opinion that we have Scott Hamilton who is an excellent player, who should be given the chance to play at fullback, he deserves it.

Smurf has been poor all season. He is noticeably slower and far more selfish this season. Numerous times this season if he'd passed the ball we'd have had a try. He is a Tigers legend, BUT all legends have there time, and with Hamilton and Ambrosino waiting behind him, his time is running out.

If your worried about losing a captain, make Jordan Crane captain. When he plays as captain, we are so much better. Also, his decision making is better.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
DesinVienna
Tiger Cub

Post by DesinVienna »

Well it seems that the critics outnumber the supporters so far.
I trust that come the end of the season with hopefully at least one trophy secured and some memorable moments of Murphy magic along with all the routine stuff that the critics will be generous enough to recognise the captain's contribution.
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

TTRITH you are absolutely spot on. 'Nuff said.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

The amount of hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous.
Red Cap

Post by Red Cap »

tb1 wrote:The amount of hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous.
Surely you exaggerate!!!
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

quote " why on earth don't we bring someone fresh on the bench towards the end? Scotty to full back and Manu on for the last 10/15 mins, for example."

I agree with the above
GM is a great player but why did he go for the high ball when the Tank was ready to collect it and was it he that misjudged a pass at the end with the ball going into the Cattypillar stand. Oh don't keep on arguing with the Ref.
Having said that he is still a great player and captain.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It was his yapping that cost us 10m and with it 3 points from a kick that should have been out of scoring range.

Our discipline yesterday was poor and the captain epitomised that.

Is full back the best place to skipper from?
On current form GM isn't the best full back at Tigers? Is that the captaincy? Does that make it difficult to take him off when he's tired or playing poorly?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

DesinVienna wrote:Well it seems that the critics outnumber the supporters so far.
I trust that come the end of the season with hopefully at least one trophy secured and some memorable moments of Murphy magic along with all the routine stuff that the critics will be generous enough to recognise the captain's contribution.

Des - for what it's worth - I fully agree with your original post. I'm sure Geordan is one of his own harshest critics (actually no, some people on here are...).
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother