Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: England Centre Pairing - your vote

Post by mightymouse »

I agree centre is a problem for England - just 2 questions

what has happened to Clarke of Saints? and
has JSD managed to finish a game without getting injured this year?
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Kinny thats not peoples point at all. If somone is born here or has lived here since childhood, or even been schooled here and adopted it as their home then to me they are english, Im not saying that black english people arent english, for example Ugo Monye clearly is english, as is Delon Armitage. Hendre Fourie isnt. He didnt make the choice to play for england, he moved here to play some rugby and the oppurtunity to play international rugby fell in his lap. Im sure he would rather be playing for the boks.
Mo Leicester

Post by Mo Leicester »

I'm not sure I'll get many who agree here - but:-

The current trend for international centres is for big, strong and fast. Both Allen and Hipkiss - whilst great club players - are too small to be top quality international. However - one Leicester player that has these attributes is Matt Smith. He has the size and the pace and he does the basics well. I think he might just thrive at international level - given the chance.
covrich

Post by covrich »

On sat I thought 13 was a major problem

Tindall was probably the worst I have ever seen him play.

He got done for pace inside , outside.. he missed and dropped tackles and his passing was also poor

Brian O'Driscoll has lost his pace but has skills to compensate for it.. where if Tindall loses his pace he has nothing.

If we play Tindall again I hope he plays better than on Saturday at least defensively.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

They will stick with the current pairing during the AI's. Whilst these guys are never going to scare a defence and win you the match by themselves they will keep you in the game and hopefully allow the likes of Foden and Ashton the chance to be the match winner. The problem we have is that most of the guys currently in the running have part of the game required but not all of it (they are either good defensively and not so dynamic going forward or vice-versa).

There are a few young guns coming through that potentially do have the whole package (May (Glous), 12T's, Manu, JTH, Waldouck etc). Whilst I can't see Eng changing the centre partnership over the next few games if one or two of these youngsters can have a good run over the next few months then they might get a run out in the 6N's then it is up to them to make the jersey their own. I don't get some of the comments that there is no time to start changing the team. If a player sticks his hand up he can make a difference from the word go - look at how Youngs influenced the game on his very first full cap. I wouldn’t be surprised if one or two of these young centres play themselves in to contention before the WC.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am asolutely certain that Johno will stick with what he has started with for the Australia game and maybe even after that. I dont agree with the choice but can see the logic of it. My own prefernce would be for a 12 who has a kicking option and a 13 who is a speedy center. Dont forget that Johno picked neither center for their creativeness. He picked them for their alleged defensive and size qualities to counter the NZ brutes and they won.

If we are looking for our most creative centers then IMHO there are really only 2 options Barkley and Wilko and at speedy 13 I would put it between Smith, who I have to admit I never thought would make it as a center and have begun to eat my words, John Clarke and Armitage. I haven't seen enough of Waldouck/May etc this year to make a comment but do believe that there are a good crop of young uns coming up in time for the following world cup not yet in time for this one

Who would I pick - Wilko and Clarke.

Defo not Banahan who I would not have in the tigers side never mind the England side
Hehehehehehehehe
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Agreed on Smith. He has a chance of gaining some international honours now. His all round game has come on massively the last 6 months, and he has acquired a pacey outside break he has not shown previously.

Cole says Smith is the fastest in the squad currently.
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

Regarding what nationality players are who play for their country, I'm all for a level playing field as long as the All Blacks don't keep creaming off the best of the smaller south sea islands for themselves. That's happened a few times I believe (he says, waiting to be shot down in flames!)

:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

I agree that Tindal cant pass and never has been able to, but at the end of the day he is a hard nosed leader who gets you over the gainline. His prescence in the team is worth more than his actual individual skill. When taken int o balance very few options so deperate are we , we have two ex NZ players.
Tins dones a job at internationl level and after 70 odd caps still does well. I would lkie to see tait given a chance to use his pace in the wide channels and tell him he has a run off games, but iu feer they dint trust his tackiling.

Yes Tins messed up the try, but so do most of the centres in england .They are all trained to defend and run at people. they are critiised if they offload cos it was not in the game plan , is risky etc. ITs the negative not loose game plans and coahcing to blame

We are lazy as players we make no movement off the ball regulalry take the ball standing still . have poor passing skills.etc etc etc. Watch the movement of asu and NZ off teh ball and see what rael players are like or go and watch league they get over teh gian line cos they hit it at pace and run at gaps.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Tait has proven he is far too lightweight.

As I once heard said he might as well have been born in a tracksuit, as his utility off the bench is the only thing going for him.
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

I will more than likeley get told off for saying this but banahan has been playing well at O.C
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

You know I'd rather take a punt on Banaman than have a repeat of the same old boring stuff and inevitable resulting loss with Trundle at OC.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Its ludicrous to suggest Allen and/or Smith ( must be a wind up) as centres for England . They don't look like scoring tries for us , never mind against International standard defences - our midfield is the weakest part of the team when we have everyone available and the sooner we get Billy and Manu in the 12/13 slots the better it will be .
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

barson wrote:You know I'd rather take a punt on Banaman than have a repeat of the same old boring stuff and inevitable resulting loss with Trundle at OC.
I'd rather play Bananaman at 13. Just need to find a rugby player called eric.