England Centre Pairing - your vote

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: England Centre Pairing - your vote

Post by Bill W (2) »

barson wrote:Find tuning?? No we have a midfield that just isn't good enough, that requires more than fine tuning!
It may not be good enough. But it will not be fixed by WC11 by plucking a past failure or untried newcomer and thrusting them in.
Still keeping the faith!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Err isn't that more or less what we have now?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

I think Tindal was very strong defensivly and greate leader and hard runner. Sadly his passing is not world class though. Hape needs to be given a decent run to see if he has it at this leve or not. He has that ability to offload when playign for Bath if he can get that going he will be the best centre since greenwood retired.

Hipkiss is a very hard man who tackles well and carries well but is even less lickley to pass than tindall and is not a leader. Alan is aquality prem player with quick feet to make a break but i fear he does not have enough power or pace for the international game he has been solid but nothing more agains tthe good sides for us. Solid is fien in teh slaery cap era that stops us haveing 15 superstarts

I dont rate Barclyay he has skill but seems to bottle it on the big stage.

I would like tait to have run since I think he is a quality attacking player I guess though Jono being Jono will be thinking defence first.

I might try Wilkinson at 12 and so have two 10/12s on the pich taking the pressure off all the deciosn making as Greenwood did for Wilko or Catt did.

this team is about this worl cup Tindall is an on field general with and english heart which is crictical going into a world cup. We dont have many passioante leaders so my guess would be if he stays fit ( a big if) he will start in the World Cup
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

barson wrote:Err isn't that more or less what we have now?
Absolutely. But what makes you think that a different past failure and different untried player would be any better?
Still keeping the faith!
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

Anyone but Hape and Flutey.

Neither should be elligible to represent England.

Gone are the days of South African players representing England because South Africa were banned from international sport.

It is time for a simple set of rules.

Anyone who was either born in or has lived in a country since the age of 16 or younger can represent that country.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote: It is time for a simple set of rules.

Anyone who was either born in or has lived in a country since the age of 16 or younger can represent that country.
Regardless and despite of the nationality of their parents?
Still keeping the faith!
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

The World Cup is a pipe dream with the complete lack of any quality centres
Tindall is finished, his days are long gone
Hape is far too slow
Flutey lightweight, as Tait
Barkley far too ponderous
Hipkiss not International standard but as good as anyone else
Possibly Waldouck, Banahan as next ones on the list
Pity our Gav isnt English-- but even he lacks pace
Arent there any scorchers out there ??

Pace is the necessary ingredient , and we aint got it
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

norfolkexpat wrote:The World Cup is a pipe dream with the complete lack of any quality centres
Tindall is finished, his days are long gone
Hape is far too slow
Flutey lightweight, as Tait
Barkley far too ponderous
Hipkiss not International standard but as good as anyone else
Possibly Waldouck, Banahan as next ones on the list
Pity our Gav isnt English-- but even he lacks pace
Arent there any scorchers out there ??

Pace is the necessary ingredient , and we aint got it
You are likely right. But this is not new.

So we need a very tight defense and a powerful pack - er.... like what Johno is trying for?
Still keeping the faith!
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

Bill W (2) wrote:
yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote: It is time for a simple set of rules.

Regardless and despite of the nationality of their parents?
Yes even regardless of parents or grand parents nationality.

My lineage means that had I been good enough for international Rugby (I was almost good enough for top level club Rugby) I would have had a choice of playing for any of four of the nations competing in what was then the five nations.

That is a ridiculous situation.

You either play for the country you were born in or the one you were brought up in.

You don't shop around for an international team that you're good enough to be selected for if your own nation won't pick you.

Northern hemisphere national sides should not be All Black and Springbok B teams.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

I really want someone to stand up and say 'that shirt is mine' with their performances over the rest of the season, as both jerseys are up for grabs - especially the 12, as Hape should be at 13 for me.

The list of centres in the senior squads is not exciting enough, but then who else is there...

I can see Johnno going with Flutey/Hape or Hape/Tindall, with Wilko on the bench as cover, for the WC at this rate.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:Yes even regardless of parents or grand parents nationality.

You either play for the country you were born in or the one you were brought up in.

You don't shop around for an international team that you're good enough to be selected for if your own nation won't pick you.

Northern hemisphere national sides should not be All Black and Springbok B teams.
Agree with last statement.

However, your ruling would mean that someone born to English parents but residing in a foreign country (due to parents employment) before attending an English University (say) could not play for England, whilst someone born of foreign parents (in England) and then returning "home" could not play for his "home" country.

Two of my grandchildren with an English father (my son) and a French mother live in Spain (where my son and daughter in law work). As it happens they are both girls - but you are suggesting that they should not be able to represent either England or France?
Still keeping the faith!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jay C wrote:I really want someone to stand up and say 'that shirt is mine' with their performances over the rest of the season, as both jerseys are up for grabs - especially the 12, as Hape should be at 13 for me.

The list of centres in the senior squads is not exciting enough, but then who else is there...

I can see Johnno going with Flutey/Hape or Hape/Tindall, with Wilko on the bench as cover, for the WC at this rate.
Concur. Hippo may be in with a faint chance.
Still keeping the faith!
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I think Tindall was one of our best players, I must have been watching a different game to all of you lot and all the journalists! You cant all be wrong!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

You were certainly watching a different game, Tindall created the gap for the first Kiwi try and butchered a chance for an England one. I think you must have been watching ESPN Classics or something.

Tindall will only be one year older and yet another yard slower by the next RWC and will be a big liability. We need to take a chance here and give someone a good run at OC. Maybe, Hipkiss, maybe Bannan, maybe Waldouck. We can argue about who it should be in the same way as we did for Borthwick but it sure as hell shouldn't be Tindall.

We also need an IC that can kick and replace Hape and in that respect I wouldn't rule 12T out here but obviously he needs more game time for Tigers first at 12.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

As for qualifying to play for a country, the World has moved on.

Blonde haired Northern European countries are now represented in athletics by people that are so Ethiopian they are probably direct descendants of Lucy.

It seems to be only the English that are squeamish about allowing sportsmen and athletes with a mixture of blood in their veins to represent us.

My family dates back to Tithby in the Vale of Belvoir since 1500. Unfortunately we'reall absolutely cr*p at sport, but we'll happily represent England at everything so long as pure blood is more important than winning anything.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!