Post by Old Hob »

Not the England games, though
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Autumn Internationals

Post by Stu_F »

Pam.B wrote:Think they already have an agreement with the RFU.

"BBC Sport recently signed a deal with the Rugby Football Union (RFU) to provide highlights of every England international up to 2013 inclusive."
"every England international"? What about World Cup?
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

England games seem to be highlights only.

Are the other home countries game to be carried live by the BBC? :smt017
Sponsorship deals may come and go but the CRUMBIE stand will always remain.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

SaltyJackTar wrote:Are the other home countries game to be carried live by the BBC? :smt017
Have a read of the article in the opening post.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

BJ. wrote:
SaltyJackTar wrote:Are the other home countries game to be carried live by the BBC? :smt017
I did and to make sure I've not missed anything I've also done it again.

However, being a bear of little brain, am still having difficulty working out why us poor peasants who rely on terrestrial TV will only get to see highlights of the England games whilst the other home countries' games look as though they will be shown live.

This was the point I was making in my original post which, sadly, was not quoted in full. Ah well ....................
Sponsorship deals may come and go but the CRUMBIE stand will always remain.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

SaltyJackTar wrote:
BJ. wrote:

However, being a bear of little brain, am still having difficulty working out why us poor peasants who rely on terrestrial TV will only get to see highlights of the England games whilst the other home countries' games look as though they will be shown live.

This was the point I was making in my original post which, sadly, was not quoted in full. Ah well ....................
Presumably the reason is that the celtic peasant nations can only command a small fee for their television rights, the bbc is willing to pay this small fee, however they have baulked at the much larger fee the RFU is demanding for England games.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

SaltyJackTar wrote:
BJ. wrote:

There's a jar of honey in the post. :smt002

Sky bought the rights to live England games as they thought England were the biggest attraction (more people watching the games on TV at home or in pubs, wider audience to advertise to etc etc). As usual, the BBC won't spend money on high quality sport (garbage like EastEnders and Strictly Come Mincing allegedly deserves the cash) so they end up with whats left (no offence meant to our Celtic neighbours).
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

BJ. wrote:
SaltyJackTar wrote:However, being a bear of little brain, am still having difficulty working out why us poor peasants who rely on terrestrial TV will only get to see highlights of the England games whilst the other home countries' games look as though they will be shown live.
Sky bought the rights to live England games as they thought England were the biggest attraction (more people watching the games on TV at home or in pubs, wider audience to advertise to etc etc). As usual, the BBC won't spend money on high quality sport (garbage like EastEnders and Strictly Come Mincing allegedly deserves the cash) so they end up with whats left (no offence meant to our Celtic neighbours).
Rubbish about England being a bigger attraction - it also has to do with Welsh and Scottish law (and presumably Irish) and Sky not wanting to pay for something that is not exclusive.

A certain amount of terrestrial games (I think at least 2 out of the 4 regional games), highlights of the other regional games and International matches in Wales have to be broadcast with Welsh commentary which means the match gets shown on S4C but filmed by BBC Wales. Bearing in mind that S4C always give English subtitles and now through the Red Button allows English commentary means that Sky could never get Welsh club or International games exclusively.

I'm fairly sure there is a similar law meaning Scottish games have to be broadcast in Scotts Gaelic but I don't know whether the channel broadcasting them would provide English subtitles/commentary via the Red button.

Given the above I'm not surprised Sky don't want to pay a lot of money for the rights to televise it when it is broadcast for free and protected by law - it doesn't fit their business model.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It is about the money Brum. The RFU say they will gross £35 million from the 4 internationals. £10m from each of the big three and 5 from Samoa. A very big part of that is broadcast rights money.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Old Hob wrote:It is about the money Brum. The RFU say they will gross £35 million from the 4 internationals. £10m from each of the big three and 5 from Samoa. A very big part of that is broadcast rights money.
I never disputed it being about money for England - I disputed why Sky were willing to pay big money for England games but not the Wales/Scotland/Ireland games