Gloucester v Leicester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester v Leicester

Post by Darc Tiger »

Jeez. Someone has hacked off fleabane tonight!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

'Fraid so, DT!

My post may be slightly OTT, but we can't ignore where we are, and why we are there.
Valhalla I am coming!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

KEEP THE FAITH!

Look where we were last season! :smt002

2 wins at home to Quins and Newcastle, and we are right back in there.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I wouldnt panic after the result at all, we have actually been really unlucky with our injuries again, and Im glad that it was in the Heineken cup and the home game vs Bath that we had Toby, Crofty and Youngs available, Its just bad timing when we could have used some points in the Prem. We are still in my opinion one of the best teams in the Prem, and if you put our first team in a final with anyone else in the prem we would win. One thing I would say tho is we really really need another good 9, I really thought Grindall was very poor today and do whenever he plays to be honest, no bias I just think he looks completely past it, no snappy passing, no pace on the game and no pace full stop! I dont blame the coaches tho as I dont think they expected to lose Harry
leic

Post by leic »

Just returned from holiday and watched scarlets, bath and gloucs game. Cannot believe what i have missed without sky! It has dawned on me how well the tigers play with flood and youngs. Yet it has surprised me how no one has talked more on this forum at what a great combination they are together? Surely we have the best half back combination in the country and lets hope they lead the white shirt into battle against the blacks. Good luck to the pair, what i have seen having been away from the tv it was a delight to watch. How we missed them today.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

The other big issue is the 6 nations where we again be without:-

Cole
Youngs
Flood
Croft

Also:-

Murphy
Cstro

But hopefully we will have alot back from injury, although we play Saras then. 12T's should be more experienced then and hopefully Spice will step up because Grindell is woeful....
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

When is Sam Harrison due to be fit again?
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

smalldell wrote: But hopefully we will have alot back from injury, although we play Saras then. 12T's should be more experienced then and hopefully Spice will step up because Grindell is woeful....
Spice is only on loan during the Autumn internationals...

However, another showing like that and I can see money being given for Spice, full time.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

fleabane wrote:I am fed up with people saying "it's ok, look how things were at this time last season"!

We have a different team, a far more competitive league, and clubs which have got to grips far more quickly with the new rule interpretations. We have also managed to regress into giving away penalties through lack of basic skills and indiscipline.

In addition, we seem to have been able to foresee a situation when we will lose Flood to England, and have his substitute unavailable through injury, with no further backup in whom the coaches have confidence. Blaming the injury list won't wash either.

We need a significant change of direction, and consistency in our play. It is no good putting out a great performance against the Dragons one week, then an indifferent one, albeit in poor conditions against Bath, followed by a game in which we were second best in every department except kicking at goal against Glaws, and saying "it's ok, look how things were at this time last season"!

Very, very disappointing.

At the moment, we are not good enough to warrant a top 4 place.
Amen Brother!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Haven't we been saying from the start of the season when Harry had to retire that we need a SH as cover and now we have taken a 34 (I believe) year old as an emergency measure. Yes we have some good youngsters coming through in many positions including SH, but the management must have known that Harry may have to retire.

Grindal is not good enough unless he learns quickly to vary his game which he did not do last night. Have watched it again this morning and I would say that 3/4's of his passes were short (8 mtres or less), he kicked 4 times and ran twice. Forgive me for saying this but any defence would say "thanks, we know what to do". Glaws certainly did.

When the back row are attacking the FH or the short distribution, a SH worth his salt would kick or look for gaps round the fringes thus turning them or keeping them tight. Grindal did not do this at all in the 1st half and so too many players found themselves with man and ball.

Yes, we could have, and many would argue should have won the game, but it did highlight a real weakness in the side which will be picked up by many opposition coaches.

Lets hope that we do start playing the youngsters when they are fit.
Hehehehehehehehe
Thehood

Post by Thehood »

"Grindal is not good enough unless he learns quickly to vary his game which he did not do last night. Have watched it again this morning and I would say that 3/4's of his passes were short (8 mtres or less), he kicked 4 times and ran twice. Forgive me for saying this but any defence would say "thanks, we know what to do". Glaws certainly did"
He wasn't good enough when we first released him nor to get in Newcastle's first team...he boxed kick the ball yesterday when there was no pressure whats so ever....hes only got 2 games box kick and pass = mediocre bench player
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

I think at the moment Alex is a poor choice at winger. He is in the team to run over people or attract opposition defenders. At present he is doing neither. Yesterday he was tackled one on one by the fly half, not none to be the best tackler on a team.
Now if a team sees that the 10 is tacking down the battering ram then they don't need to put extra defenders on Alex as they can tackle him one on one.
He isn't quick as wingers go so lets have a look at Robinson, Speedy etc before we miss anymore scoring chances.
This isn't based on just yesterdays match but has been a feeling thats been building for a couple of seasons. i think we've seen the best of Alex. (I've not even mentioned his handling ability, nic name teflon, nothing sticks!)
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Speedy please! :smt001
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

fleabane wrote:I am fed up with people saying "it's ok, look how things were at this time last season"!

We have a different team, a far more competitive league, and clubs which have got to grips far more quickly with the new rule interpretations. We have also managed to regress into giving away penalties through lack of basic skills and indiscipline.

In addition, we seem to have been able to foresee a situation when we will lose Flood to England, and have his substitute unavailable through injury, with no further backup in whom the coaches have confidence. Blaming the injury list won't wash either.

We need a significant change of direction, and consistency in our play. It is no good putting out a great performance against the Dragons one week, then an indifferent one, albeit in poor conditions against Bath, followed by a game in which we were second best in every department except kicking at goal against Glaws, and saying "it's ok, look how things were at this time last season"!

Very, very disappointing.

At the moment, we are not good enough to warrant a top 4 place.
Unfortunately FB you are right and is what I have also been saying for months. "IT" just isn't there. I'll have word with PW at the Cambs Uni game on Wednesday evening and see what he has to say about it all?

As you say it is very very disappointing and management needs a good hard look in the mirror and get it sorted. Plenty of talent there just bad direction IMO.
Last edited by TigerCam on Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

I completely disagree. Alex has been on decent form and pretty much cant be dropped due to there being no direct replacement.