Men of letters

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rayce
Tiger Cub

Men of letters

Post by Rayce »

Did not enjoy the match much today apart from the win :smt001
Watching it on tv however I noticed something that was not noticeable at the match,and it was this,on the front of the tigers shirts just under the Tigers logo they all had letters printed on them,does anyone know what the mean?????? :smt017
Thanks
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Men of letters

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Hence the ABC bar referring to front row players.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Hence the reason I always had a soft spot for Briss (even though they were backwards)

How quickly time seems to pass, too. It was only a couple of years ago that we gave up letters wasn't it? Well 3, 5 tops. Certainly not more than 7...
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Old Hob wrote:Hence the reason I always had a soft spot for Briss (even though they were backwards)

How quickly time seems to pass, too. It was only a couple of years ago that we gave up letters wasn't it? Well 3, 5 tops. Certainly not more than 7...
Wasn't it the second season after going pro? With a club/several clubs going for club numbers in the first season then the RFU saying everyone to have 1-15

It meant that Tigers and Bristol lost their letters, Bath had to be 1-15 rather than 1-12 and 14-16, Worcester (I think) had to have numbers on all of their shirts whereas before their 5 shirt was blank in memory of someone who had died whilst playing a game IIRC

EDIT: Wikipedia says it was West Hartlepool who had no number 5 jersey - no mention if it was a 1-4 and 6-16 system or a blank shirt like I though it was - and Richmond also had no number 13 jersey but I don't remember that at all.

No info on the year of losing letters
Last edited by Tiger_in_Birmingham on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

It's great to see that the heritage of letters on the shirts instead of the numbers still is ingrained in the lifestyle of the best club in English rugby. Long live the TIGERS !!!!
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Old Hob wrote:Hence the reason I always had a soft spot for Briss (even though they were backwards)

Umm...
this was more a paean to the ageing process..

Never mind. And some fell on stony ground.

(another reference the young won't get)
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

I think they started having numbers on their back about 97/98 Season, when Rugby went professional. :smt017
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/15834.php

They're back!!

Tigers go up against the wallabies wearing their historic lettered shirts, which will then be sold after the match with the proceeds going to worthy caues.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

Great to see the letters back even if for only one night on the backs of the players, No doubt by the time the replacements come on we should be up to about X or Y
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

Great to see the letters back even if for only one night on the backs of the players, No doubt by the time the replacements come on we should be up to about X or Y
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

one odd thing about our letters was that the No 8 wore the 7th letter and the opesde wore the 8th letter

ie Gary Adey , Deano etc. wore G
and Dosser and Backy wore H

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A B C D E F G H

I wonder why that was?
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

The scrum lettered accross how they packed down

A B C
D E
F G H
Firesafetydave

Post by Firesafetydave »

I don't know how others feel on here [straw poll?] but I would be interested in buying a replica shirt and having a letter rather than a number on the back... currently the 'letters' on sale are for names and much smaller, but the club could put big letters on couldn't they? I mean if PRL insists on players having numbers, that shouldn't stop clubs selling lettered shirts to supporters anyway, should it?
Te audire no possum. Musa sapienum fixa est in aura.
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

Firesafetydave wrote:I don't know how others feel on here [straw poll?] but I would be interested in buying a replica shirt and having a letter rather than a number on the back... currently the 'letters' on sale are for names and much smaller, but the club could put big letters on couldn't they? I mean if PRL insists on players having numbers, that shouldn't stop clubs selling lettered shirts to supporters anyway, should it?
:smt035 :smt035

Ditto firesafetydave. I would love a replica of the shirts the players will wear against the Wallabies as it retains the unique Tigers heritage and would be a cracking momento of an incredible game. I can but dream.
Philip J Gray