Murphy out of Ireland squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JayA
Top Cat
Top Cat

Murphy out of Ireland squad

Post by JayA »

In tonights mercury it is reporting that Geordie has been left out of the Ireland squad for the Autumn Internationals. Gutted for him, but a plus for Tigers!

Apart from one faux par against Wasps I thought he was back to his best!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Murphy out of Ireland squad

Post by Hot_Charlie »

On the plus side, Murphy is also in the Ireland squad, so to speak! :smt001

Sooooo, we keep our captain, and an ex-Tiger is poised to debut! :smt003 Win-win in my book!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote:Win-win in my book!
Agreed!
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Whose out there who can replace his inimitable style and class for Ireland? He has made mistakes for Tigers this year but i'd still pick him because when he's on form he is world class :smt023
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:Whose out there who can replace his inimitable style and class for Ireland? He has made mistakes for Tigers this year but i'd still pick him because when he's on form he is world class :smt023
Anyone taht plays for the Provinces, he isn't based over the water...so he will only get a call up if they are in dire straits.
Excellent for the Tigers as we will have some continuity in the backs during the AI's.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

I just wish he was English as he would have been the starting 15 for over a decade now and still would be first choice.
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

How long does his new contract with the Tigers last?
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

TigerS2 wrote:How long does his new contract with the Tigers last?
This is the press release :

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/15115.php

I hope & believe he'll finish his career here :smt023
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Lucky us
GM is paying the price of playing in England--- scapegoat needed--when it is glaringly obvious Ireland will never win anything important with props who would struggle to get in Syston 2nds
Tanner Bank Boy

Post by Tanner Bank Boy »

How many caps has he got? How many would he have if he was playing in Ireland? Lots more. That is why English sides have done so well in Eurpoe over the years, they can afford to sign foreign players to hold the fort during Autumn internationals and 6 nations and if they're good enough as in his case to be first choice for you for 10 years or near enough. The fact he's out of sight and out of mind for Ireland has been a blessing for the Tigers over the years, don't make too much noise about it, just be thankful that you're not in the shoes of most ML sides who when their international players are gone are a shambles or in the case of my beloved SCARLETS a shambles when they get 1 or 2 injuries to first choice players. There's a fine line between success and failure in Europe but the fact remains money does talk. That and inspired signings like GM does make a difference. I hope the Tigers way of local talent and a few choice additions is the way forward and Saracens fall flat on their imported faces. It's what the Scarlets have been forced to do. As far as a level playing field in Europe goes as far as finance goes we're a long way off, Tigers are a Man Utd, the Scarlets a Bolton, annoying, the odd good win, but off the mark.
Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, the Scarlets fans enjoyed the hospitalty on Sunday by all accounts and a good time was had by most, result excluded. Hopefully we can extend simialar hospitality on your visit to Llanelli, only OFF the field that is.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Hi TBB
An interesting viewpoint. Many Tigers fans feel aggrieved by the £4m salary cap we are bound to by the RFU, which is a fraction of what Magners and European teams can spend. Yet clearly we're doing something right when we can lose 11 first picks and still be reasonably competitive.

One point I disagree with though feller: Tigers have been PLUNDERED by international callups over the years and it does hurt. Even now for the AIs we will lose:

Flood
Cole
Chuter
Croft
Youngs

to England , Castro to Italy and Speedy & Agulla to the Pumas. And probably more that my tired morning brain can't recall.

Ah the price of success :)

Cheers, lad ! :smt030
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

It's at scrum half/fly half we feel it the most.

Good chance for Grindal/Harrison and Twelvetrees to get a good run of 1st team games. I'm hoping for a few good performances to press for more team time.

Not so sure Chuter will be missing, I suspect he is drifting off the England radar a bit.

We do have Julian to fill Castro and Cole's ample boots and Boris to come in for Ayerza.

So the team still looks quite good on paper.

Murphy

Hamilton
Hipkiss/Smith
Allen
Manu T/Smith

Twelvetrees
Grindal

Stankovich
Chuter
White
Skivington
Slater
Newby
Waldrom
Woods
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
rdj

Post by rdj »

The only player in the squad playing outside Ireland is Tommy Bowe.
The move to Ireland has proved worthwhile for Johne - well done.
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

Geordie has been a fantastic and faithful asset to Tigers over 10 years.
Now is the time to start grooming him for a coaching post if he is interested. It would be great if some of his talent could rub off on some of the young ones, and we might beat the salary cap if he is player/coach!