Hats off to Toby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hats off to Toby

Post by tb1 »

Toby made 10 tackles, the highest number on our team.

Scarlets were clearly targetting his channel and he kept getting up and making the tackles.

Great commitment.

:smt038
GS
Super User
Super User

Re: Hats off to Toby

Post by GS »

I thought he was almost being reckless having just come back from a knee injury, but a great performance. Just hope that his willingness to get stuck in won't take him down the Wilko (and Mad Dog) route of continuous injury.

It's hard to say what triggered it but it was an incredible performance from the whole team but knowing the 10 slot was secure must have helped. I'm not knocking 12T but when he's at 10 there's a bit more hope than confidence for me.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

A great performance by Toby Flood yesterday. Think you're right that Scarlets were targetting the returning player at 10.

Not to detract from the praise any, SKY have Thomas waldrom down as completing 14 Tackles when they named him MOTM (about 76th minute of match on screen), as well as 15 carries, 8 Gainline successes and 1 Try.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Scarlets also targeted Youngs and Grindall at every opportunity especially off the ball. Loved it when Youngs chinned their second row for holding him back! :smt038
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Played like he had never been away. Excellent. :smt001
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

We are a very different team when Toby is playing. His defence is very good but going forward he is always a threat. He steps well, plays flat, has good foot speed but his best asset is his pass. So many times he delivers flat, accurate and fast passing that brings our attacking backline on to the ball at pace. It makes such a difference. He use to have a bad habit of drifting in and out of games but he now seems to be in total control throughout. He is very much the real deal!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Yes he was great on Sunday.

And with a contract extension signed, we can all enjoy watching him in Tigers colours for a good while yet !!

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/l ... ticle.html
RobGale

Post by RobGale »

Good news for Tigers and England having Toby back.

With Flood and Youngs playin half backs both teams have a great chance for a very successful season (assuming fitness) (up to and including the WC)
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

double post
Last edited by tb1 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

WhitecapTiger wrote:A great performance by Toby Flood yesterday. Think you're right that Scarlets were targetting the returning player at 10.

Not to detract from the praise any, SKY have Thomas waldrom down as completing 14 Tackles when they named him MOTM (about 76th minute of match on screen), as well as 15 carries, 8 Gainline successes and 1 Try.
I usually get my stats from scrum.com which has Waldrom making 4 tackles.

I dont recall Waldrom being particularly prominent in defence whereas I definitely noticed that Toby was being forced to make a lot of tackles, however maybe my perception and scrum.com's stats are wrong. :smt017
vinniechan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vinniechan »

I always think Toby is an all round player, better defence and stronger running than people give him credit for and general good game management all round.
I was very impressed by his distribution. Pretty much every pass he made found a runner at pace.
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Toby had a great game.
Waldron was immense on Sunday. He stole quite a lot of ball on the ground, made yardage and was an overall pain in the proverbial for the Scarlets. I'm sure Jones would have liked to swap places with Toby! Oh, he could have had the chance a few years ago!
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

I wonder if he ever thinks about what was probably his first appearance at WR when he was full back for Newcastle and we scored 90 points!
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

MelChannerFan wrote:I wonder if he ever thinks about what was probably his first appearance at WR when he was full back for Newcastle and we scored 90 points!
I think the therapist told him never to visit that place in his mind again.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"