A Message from Lofty

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SMELLYMIKE

A Message from Lofty

Post by SMELLYMIKE »

This Might have or not have been posted before...but its just to good to ignore.....its what the guys will be reading before the match tomorrow......

"I am not afraid of an army of Lions led by a sheep, I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a Lion "

On the plains of Gaugamela, Alexander the Great, led his 40,000 infantry and 7000 Cavalry into battle against a force of 1 million strong Persian Army.

Up against overwhelming numbers on foreign soil, he won.

Alexander was a tactical military genius and at the age of 25, was King of Macedonia, Pharaoh of Egypt and the Great King of Persia. He had been educated by the famed philosopher Aristotle, while Aristotle had been a student of Plato, both exceptional scholars.
The teachings transcendental, the lineage inspiring. Alexander learned of historical wrongs, which he himself would put right, he saw it as his personnel destiny and glory. Such was his leadership qualities, his army followed him for over 13 years and travelled 11,000 miles on their conquests.
His memorable from the heart speeches, his personnel touch, his fearless, reckless, disregard for his own life by always leading from the front, became legendary.

He founded over 70 Cities and created an Empire of over two million square miles. His Tactical genius was studied by the Romans, Hannibal and Napoleon, he led an army without suffering a single defeat.
Alexander really believed that it was his destiny to conquer and coupled with a determined belief, instilled a conviction and desire, that whatever he faced, he would prevail.

A belief and a desire to succeed are themselves, massive motivators. It is the quality that wells up from deep within, an inner strength. An intangible of the human spirit to excel, to rise up and overcome any adversity.

The Tigers have a desire to achieve, but the Scarlets have the Soul to succeed.

Last minute bull dozing from the Caterpillar steel driven pack, ensure they are a formidable foe. No Welsh team has won at Welford Road, the time has now arrived for the two Scarlet Lions and the wise Lyon, to right this far too long wrong.

Alexanders army marched 11,000 miles, the Scarlet support of over 11,000 made their own unique march to the City ground in 2002. In that game of games, a penalty was awarded to Leicester in the final quarter.
While Martin Johnson was debating with Rod Kafer about which line out option to take, Tim Stimpson had signalled his intention to go for goal, without his Captain's agreement. It was too late to change the call, by the time Johnson had walked up to Tim.
Stimpson had been hitting 65 yard kicks in practice and felt confident, so Johnson told him, "I'll love you for life, if you get it".
The wind inside the ground was swirling and unpredictable that day, but it didn't swirl enough at that moment.

So close and yet so far and as Aristotle once advised " For the things we have to learn, before we can do them, we learn by doing them".
But it has been a long and hard learning curve, I long for a straight path.

Captain Rees is a fantastic match winning Lion and is spearheading our forward campaign and is relishing leading from the front. The best no 10 in Europe, without equal, is already displaying his personnel quest, alongside his Captain to deliver to his beloved Scarlets the "Graal".
We have backs with creative cunning, innovation and sleight of hand, with a daring Cavalry of the highest order.

The ingredients are all there for one more assault on English soil. The three Lions of the Scarlets, to tame the three Lions of England.

The odds are stacked against us, the Tigers have a reputation for handing out mauling's at home.

But the roar of a Lion can be heard for over 5 miles and the Scarlet support considerably more.

We are the rugby neutrals favoured team, for all that is true in Rugby Football. We are the good guys, we don't cheat, or flatter to deceive with a win at all costs, sell your soul moment. We play rugby with a running way, that an inspired William Webb Ellis had a vision for, when " With fine disregard, he took the ball in his arms and ran with it".

We have been running with it, throughout our history, with historic honour and style in its purest form. We don't grind, we glide and shimmer like heat waves flowing through air.
Everything we have endured, learned, experienced will be condensed into 80 minutes of cleansing with a fervent releasing of shackles and irons of pain.

The West Wales magicians are returning, not with mystical sorcery, but resplendent with new colours, renewed heart, pride and a will power to succeed with the Scarlet way.
The re-awakening of the Scarlet soul heralds those years of hardship and valour to be converted into days of glory.

As we head for the Tigers lair, heed the words of Alexander, " Remember upon the conduct of each, depends the fate of all".

We march to Leicester, led by a Lion, to put the past to rights.

Best of luck ....your going to need it :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: A Message from Lofty

Post by SaltyJackTar »

Stirring stuff Smellymike.

However, I believe the battle will be a close 'un but, at the end, the Scarlets' travelling support will journey westward, in the evening light, somewhat disappointed but not down hearted.

They will have heard the noise from the Crumbie, seen the passion at Welford Road and witnessed a true example of good, strong, classy all round rugby that they hope their team, one day, will be able to emulate!

Just remember that it's not the winning but the taking part that's important!

Good luck Tigers ................. and here's to a good game. :smt023
Sponsorship deals may come and go but the CRUMBIE stand will always remain.
Bryn@man

Post by Bryn@man »

'Classy all round rugby' eh... Can't wait now.

Yma o hyd
speedy

Post by speedy »

the crumbie will be scarlet for the day. if you ask us nicely we might give it back to you at full time. :smt001
SMELLYMIKE

Post by SMELLYMIKE »

wHY IS IT THAT THE INTERNET IS SUPPOSED TO BE INFINITE ...YET IT DOESNT STOP ME BUMPING INTO BRYN@MON AND SPEEDY.......GET READY BOYS FOR THE START OF A NEW CHAPTER IN HC HISTORY....
YMLAEN Y SCARLETS A COFIWCH , GORLLEWIN YW'R GORAU :smt006
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

speedy wrote:the crumbie will be scarlet for the day. if you ask us nicely we might give it back to you at full time. :smt001
You might have a minority presence in standing but not "up top" in posh and seated !!! :smt018 :smt018 :smt018
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

Bryn@man wrote:

Yma o hyd

You might still be there but we certainly haven't seen much of you elsewhere !! :smt027
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

SMELLYMIKE wrote:
YMLAEN Y SCARLETS A COFIWCH , GORLLEWIN YW'R GORAU

Looking forward to hearing this sung tomorrow. Hope it's in tune, if so it will be a first !! :smt016 :smt016 :smt016
Bryn@man

Post by Bryn@man »

SaltyJackTar wrote:
You might still be there but we certainly haven't seen much of you elsewhere !! :smt027
This might help... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eYPkVjs9oU :smt026
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Good banter lads,enjoy your day and remember,you will have a chance to avenge your defeat when we travel down your way. :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

Bryn@man wrote:
SaltyJackTar wrote:
This might help... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eYPkVjs9oU :smt026

If it is repeated tomorrow then I will certainly give it sincere and deserved applause. I'm just hoping I don't have to though.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Great stuff, Boyos!

I can't wait until tomorrow.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

Daveyboy wrote:Great stuff, Boyos!

I can't wait until tomorrow.

"On the Fosse" indicates you should be a Tigers' fan.

Boyos is not a recognised term at Welford Road.

What gives? :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
Rob o'r Bont
Tiger Cub

Post by Rob o'r Bont »

Good luck to both teams.

Enjoy the day everyone. I'm stuck at home, but I've booked my seat in front of the telly. The two games against the Tigers will be the defining moment of our season. Have we progressed from last season, or will another top team hand us our backsides - its a big day for us, probably not so big for the Tigers, but I'm sure it's going to be a day to remember. :smt002
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

probably not so big for the Tigers
Rob I wouldn't be so sure about that, feller.
This is our biggest match since the prem final in May. Not just because its the HC but because this is where we find out what we're made of. STill plenty of first pick absentees, some ring-rusty returnees. Some "new" fellers on their fifth / sixth game in a Tigers shirt. NONE of these are excuses, Rob as I know you have your challenges too, but this is all about whether Tigers despite everything can still get it up for the big games. We MUST perform in defence if we're going to keep your running :censored: at bay, and we have to attack without spilling good ball under pressure.

Its a mega game for us Rob.

Like you I won't be a WR ( I'm broke and kids Chrissy pressies need buying) but I too will be in front of the telly holding my hair a LOT.

Yeah good luck to both teams, let skill alone win this day !