WE NEED A 10

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

apps

WE NEED A 10

Post by apps »

After today game i think rc either needs to look at signing another 10 or put gm in as after reading the threads on here & seeing the score line on the live feed (could not listen to the game as i am in Cyprus) 12trees is not a ten but his kicking need to be work on & not with the HC under way that migth be the only way we can go though.

As well why are we not useing are bench yes to the front row but what about the rest of them in today game i think if we had use them we could of pulled away.

why name tf in the team only to pull out hours before then let 12trees to carry the can if we lost.

i could be wrong & please tell diffent if the game was better but the score line though out the game tells me diffent.
TIGERS RULE WELFORD ROAD NO MAN CAN STOP THEM IN THERE WAY TO MORE SILVER
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: WE NEED A 10

Post by Darc Tiger »

With Flood back next week, I dont think it will be needed. Ford can cover during the AI's.

Billy had a good game today. Missed a few kicks (all but 1 were tough), and had a couple of bad passes. But generally he attacked and defended very well, kept the backline controlled and composed, kicked well out of hand, and his restarts are :censored: fantastic!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

In general I think Twelvetrees did fine, except for his place kicking. The poor kicks from hand were by other players.
The line-out was a shambles and I'm not sure why, they did not have the excuse of the backs where there were late changes. This meant they were unable to build any pressure on the opposition and caused them to try and go wide too early.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

12tree kicks from hand have not been a problem for us, in fact they have been rather good.

The goal kicking is pretty average however.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

36 had a fine game except his place kicking - our problems were the line out and control in the centres.

People go on and on on this and similar threads about the 10 shirt but what we are really missing is Anthony Allen's brain (and tackling) at 12. Matt Smith did a sterling job today but was obviously not happy at 12 and Horacio Agulla cannot match Dan Hipkiss's impact and control at 13. Both Smith and Agulla are really wingers and it shows.

If anyone had a poor game by their normal standards it was George Chuter.

If you stop and re-visit the game we could have/should have scored at least 3 more tries and apart from 2 superb individual efforts Treviso did not look like scoring except from the boot. Mostly the run of the game was a result of the 'new' interpretation, which we did slightly less well at than the home team.

Nothing new in rule changes affecting results: just look at it this way - today's scoring breakdown would have led to an actual score of:

pre-1948 - Treviso 27 - 24 Tigers
Pre-1971 - Treviso 25 - 24 Tigers
Pre-1992 - Treviso 27 - 29 Tigers
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

What we are missing is actually both a 10 and a 12.

We have a wing covering 13, a 13 covering 12 and a 12 covering 10.

If we had Ant or Manu available to play outside Billy, we would be in better shape.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

jgriffin wrote:The 'new' interpretation has significantly affected both the style of game and IMHO seriously equalised a correctly uneven gap between teams. Lesser teams can now retain the ball where before they would've been turned over, and guaranteed ball makes average teams much more bold. IMO Tigers have not - and should not - seriously alter their style. 'Interpretation' may change again, especially if fans start leaving the RL/RU hybrid in droves.
IMO under these new interpretations, we must have the distasteful expectation of conceding more points than we have previously.

I think the coaching mindset has become "we will concede more so we must score more".
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

jgriffin wrote:Exactly. And so it should be! While the rules reward relative mediocrity we must rise above it.
As always then!
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

Get a sense of reality and dont expect every kick to go over, nobody gets every kick, not even golden balls jonny,please watch the game and judge the 10 whoever it is, on what he does during the game and not just the kicking.If you really want to see bad kicking watch the highlights of the Saints game :smt009
pogue3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pogue3 »

Personally I think 12T has been playing well at 10 for us and played well today
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="tb1"]What we are missing is actually both a 10 and a 12.

We have a wing covering 13, a 13 covering 12 and a 12 covering 10.

If we had Ant or Manu available to play outside Billy, we would be in better shape.[/quote]

tb1, I agree entirely with your prognosis.
I think it was JG who recently started a thread on the topic of the 10/12 combination, and it brought out many different views. In the end though, it is just that - finding the right combination.

Billy didn't have a bad game today; and it was a tough call with the line having to be re-shuffled at the last minute, so today's performance has to be taken in context.
In short though, we miss TF playing at 10; and, I'm not sure who our best 12 is.

ps if you want to see a good performance at 12 watch Regan King for the Scarlets today.
With TF and AA missing we have neither.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

The reality is that (especially when judged in HC terms) all of our centres are journeymen. They can do a job and are good players, but not from the top drawer.