Saracens again cross the line

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Saracens again cross the line

Post by bluntiger »

Once again Saracens have flauted the rules by withdrawing Borthwick from the ERC launch event with Zero notice so he can attend a 'team-bonding' event at Oktoberfest.

Why do they believe that the commercial committments do not apply to them? They simply pay the fine and ruin the launch event.
Always a Tiger
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Saracens again cross the line

Post by Daveyboy »

Of course, Borthwick's presence would have guaranteed my attention.... :smt047
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Seems a very odd thing to do, but can they be fined, for effectively missing a photo op?
bluntiger wrote: a 'team-bonding' event at Oktoberfest.
I might suggest this idea to my boss :drinkers: :drinkers:
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I'm afraid this slightly boorish behaviour seems to be the norm from Saracens.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Didn't think they did the team bonding till december :smt023
After they've bored us to death till then. Seems a bit early or a bit late in the season for team bonding. (early if there's a problem, late if they're isn't - this is normally done pre season).
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

But what brand of amber nectar was he drinking?
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

In a SKY interview around the time of biscuitgate Venter said that it was his mission to challenge the "stuffiness" of the RFU.

I guess anything can appear elitist if you're boorish enough.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I think I read that the fine could only be £5k so Saracens won't really care.

It is however a slap in the face to every other club who had the decency to attend.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

£10,000 is the maximum fine that ERC can apply. Apparently all the other 13 clubs could make it but Sarries decided that as Borthwick was not on the list of people to be interviewed they'd skip it. If Sarries ever won anything perhaps the sponsor who has shelled out millions could skip that presentation.

Elsewhere, the charming Venter is worried that "other nationalities" would bring their own take on the game and negate the advances made in the AP under the guidance of Ed Morrison and his ref's team. Venter said: "The biggest challenge to me is the practical challenge. The Premiership, Top 14 and Magners League are refereed differently. It is less than perfect, it could be a disaster."

How nice of Brendan to be worrying about foreigners ruining our game.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

This was the statement issue by them:
Saracens has apologised to ERC for any inconvenience caused at yesterday’s Heineken Cup media briefing.

Chief Executive Edward Griffiths said: “The decision that Steve Borthwick should attend a pre-arranged squad function was entirely the club’s decision, and nothing to do with Steve. Nobody can doubt the professionalism and commitment of perhaps the most professional and committed player in the country.

“The clash of dates was unfortunate but, at the eleventh hour, we rationally decided it was more important for our captain to take part in a long-arranged and highly significant squad event than to attend a press conference where he was not nominated to be formally interviewed and from which his non-attendance became the main story.

“Our total commitment to this year’s Heineken Cup competition is writ large across every billboard in London promoting our match against Leinster at Wembley on October 16th. It’s unlikely any club has ever embarked on such a marketing campaign for a group fixture.

“We look forward to resolving this matter with ERC, and playing our full part in a successful competition.”
Seems a pretty high handed apology in my view :smt018
Sponsorship deals may come and go but the CRUMBIE stand will always remain.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Will S wrote:I think I read that the fine could only be £5k so Saracens won't really care.

It is however a slap in the face to every other club who had the decency to attend.
Especially when you hear griffiths say (i read it in the evening standard) something along the lines of 'rugby is a game of inches, and you need to take every inch you can' inferring that they knew they were looking to seek an unfair advantage (however percieved or small) by missing the event.
Always a Tiger
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

SaltyJackTar wrote:“We look forward to resolving this matter with ERC, and playing our full part in a successful competition.”
For that read 'we will just pay the fine, ignore protocol again and move on'.
Saracens' behavior does resemble that of Chelsea some years ago, an arrogant disregard of the rules and protocols - are they Ospreys in disguise?
Always a Tiger
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

....And not a word about it on their unoffy. All criticism is verboten apparently. What a charming and civilised place Saffas is; they used to be just a dirty team with a terrible ground now they're a boorish (and sinister) dirty team with a terrible ground.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Perhaps ERC could just decide that the HEC would be better without Saffas?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:Perhaps ERC could just decide that the HEC would be better without Saffas?
Sadly, it won't happen. ERC like the IRU are toothless beaurocrats who will always prefer to brush things under the carpet rather than take tough decisions. Remember Tincu? Januarie and Byrne? Never really dealt with properly. Fudged at best, ignored at worst.
Always a Tiger