Sale win

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Sale win

Post by Old Hob »

I see Sale came back from an horrendous deficit at half time (6 - 17) to win 21 - 17. 15 unanswered points in the second half. Does anyone have any more details? What happened to Quins?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sale win

Post by Purebob »

parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

I am still utterly convinced that the only reason Sale are still in the Premiership is because they play their home matches on a Friday night.

As far as I am aware - and I'm sure there are other reasons - they play their matches on a Friday night because they groundshare with Scunthorpe. However, a quick look on BBC's website will show that Scunthorpre are away this weekend. Therefore, there appears no reason why the match could not be played tomorrow afternoon.

Playing on a Friday night up there seems difficult for most teams. We've never played well up there, win, lose or draw. Therefore, I feel they have an unfair advantage playing at this time. Apparently, it's a godforsaken place at the best of times.

I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but it's just my opinion based on a few year's observations.

Good evening!
stujoed

Post by stujoed »

Stockport not Scunthorpe
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

stujoed wrote:Stockport not Scunthorpe
Think Parkerd68's "error" may well have been contrived to ensure that the naughty words filter was not being too draconian !!

However, the point raised was well made. Friday night is not really a night for rugby and Tigers have often struggled, Not only at Sale but Newcastle and, last season, Gloucester when they were in the doldrums and having a long run of poor results. :smt045
Sponsorship deals may come and go but the CRUMBIE stand will always remain.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

stujoed wrote:Stockport not Scunthorpe
Either way, Stockport are playing away at Oxford apparently, so why the Friday night kick-off? Mayb e it's a condition of the ground share agreement, a certain % can't be played on saturdays.

Maybe there's a local pizza deal on Friday nights :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BlackSeal

Post by BlackSeal »

""
However, the point raised was well made. Friday night is not really a night for rugby and Tigers have often struggled

Hmmmm, I seem to remember the Tigers beating the world champions on a Friday night.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Anyone know how our ollie got on for quins (except the yellow card, saw that on bbc sport, his only mention :smt012 )
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Sale's philosophy of playing on a Friday night is very deliberate and was announced some years ago. They believe that it gives them a much greater footprint in that part of the country than would be the case if they played on a Saturday afternoon.

They understand their market, and the competition from other sports.
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

I got bored looking at their fixture list by the time I hit February, but all but 2 home matches are on a Friday night, including the next 5. If it's a case of them knowing their place, surely they should be snapping up the opportunity of a Saturday afternoon fixture, a prime slot IMO.

Sorry about the wrong team thing. Alcohol played a part in my first comment and I didn't bother getting my facts right. :smt003