London Wasps v Leicester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jimmy jazz

Re: London Wasps v Leicester

Post by jimmy jazz »

very disappointed with second 40 on Saturday, nevertheless, i've said this before, staunton wasn't first choice at Wasps before we signed him, and in my opinion he's not good enough now!! you want a good fly half, sign an ex international for cover from the southern hemisphere, someone who plays flat like Floody, everyone understands the game plan then, and you're worried about wage caps, get rid of Allen and Staunton and some of the deadwood on the Tigers books, we should have pulled out all the stops and bought Barkley or at best kept Vesty.... what a mistake letting him go!!!!!!!

come on Cockers, get your ass in gear!!!!!
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

At last ! . Whatever the talents or otherwise of Staunton I cannot see the point of having a stand in fly half who plays in a completely different way to the No 1 choice . It disrupts the team's pattern of play and makes continuity nigh on impossible. Northampton are able to play the same style whoever is at 10 - it makes everything so much easier .
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

mike wrote:At last ! . Whatever the talents or otherwise of Staunton I cannot see the point of having a stand in fly half who plays in a completely different way to the No 1 choice . It disrupts the team's pattern of play and makes continuity nigh on impossible. Northampton are able to play the same style whoever is at 10 - it makes everything so much easier .
Myler and Geraghty play completly different games with Myler playing more of a kicking game and Geraghty playing flatter and with more flair, not unlike a certain Mr. Flood and Mr. Staunton.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

mike wrote:At last ! . Whatever the talents or otherwise of Staunton I cannot see the point of having a stand in fly half who plays in a completely different way to the No 1 choice . It disrupts the team's pattern of play and makes continuity nigh on impossible. Northampton are able to play the same style whoever is at 10 - it makes everything so much easier .
You can't get two more different 10's than Myler and Geraghty - both totally different styles :smt017

Floody is a very talented 10 who plays with great flair. Asking a stand in, who has not got the same skill level, to play the same way would probably cause a lot of problems for us. Better to have a steady and reliable replacement to come on. If we had a replacement who could play the same way as Flood then he probably wouldn't want to stay at Tigers being an understudy for very long!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think we all have to admit there is something wrong at the moment, be it tactics, coaching, players skills etc, but we are not getting it right at the moment, we cannot moan about players who have left etc but need to analyse what we are doing. This was a game full of mistakes, in the first half we capitalised on them but did not kick our goals, otherwise we would have been out of site, regardless of what happened in second half. Both sides tackled badly.
Were the tactics right at each kick off, to kick to the blindside towards Varndell, should we really have been rushing into the tackle, missing the man without any back up, should we have caught the ball when jumping for it, often spilling it forward, its clear that Scott is no Lewis when asked to chase the high kick off. We dont appear to be calling for the high ball, with players getting in each others way.
Did we make too early a sub in the front row, last year Dan murdered Payne, was he brought on too soon, he does not look to be at his best yet.
There was an improvement at lock, Slater on loan from Notts outplayed Skivington, hope the Saxon improves soon.
Back row, openside seems a problem, Exeter ran around our scrum at will and Woods spilled an open chance this week. Waldron must not run away from support but we must get up there with him. Thank goodness for Croft!
Early days, things will improve, hope its soon.
:smt024
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

LE18 wrote:I think we all have to admit there is something wrong at the moment, be it tactics, coaching, players skills etc, but we are not getting it right at the moment, we cannot moan about players who have left etc but need to analyse what we are doing. This was a game full of mistakes, in the first half we capitalised on them but did not kick our goals, otherwise we would have been out of site, regardless of what happened in second half. Both sides tackled badly.
Were the tactics right at each kick off, to kick to the blindside towards Varndell, should we really have been rushing into the tackle, missing the man without any back up, should we have caught the ball when jumping for it, often spilling it forward, its clear that Scott is no Lewis when asked to chase the high kick off. We dont appear to be calling for the high ball, with players getting in each others way.
Did we make too early a sub in the front row, last year Dan murdered Payne, was he brought on too soon, he does not look to be at his best yet.
There was an improvement at lock, Slater on loan from Notts outplayed Skivington, hope the Saxon improves soon.
Back row, openside seems a problem, Exeter ran around our scrum at will and Woods spilled an open chance this week. Waldron must not run away from support but we must get up there with him. Thank goodness for Croft!
Early days, things will improve, hope its soon.
:smt024
The support must learn to run with Waldron
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

I agree that Geraghty & Myler are very different 10's but i had this worry last season when Flood & Staunton played, when Flood went off and Staunton arrived it altered the alignment of the whole back division.
Players started to over run or be behind play when earlier in matches they were spot on.
You would expect both 10's to train withn the other backs, which im sure happens at oval park. So why the problem on match day?
Is Jezza standing in a different position on a match day to a training day or are the players unable to adapt during a match?

Difficult questions that only a few will have the answers to. The problem will now either be magnified or solved with 36 playing 10. In that it will be a third 10 that none of players understand (magnified) or having only one fit 10 the players don't have to worry about running lines because they won't change during the game from one 10 to another.

I hope it's the latter.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"