Mass hysteria - the antidote

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Mass hysteria - the antidote

Post by POSTIGER »

I appreciate that everyone has their opinions and that some people are convinced that our thoroughly disastrous bonus point win was just the start of our inevitable and terminal decline.

However, I would like to offer an alternative view to some of the more contentious points I see have been made elsewhere on the forum.

Geordan Murphy - Had an off day, perhaps a little too soon to write off one of the best full-backs and captains in the Northern Hemisphere.

Antony Allen - People are making far too much of his supposed defensive deficiencies and has rarely let Tigers down in his career here so far. His combination with Dan Hipkiss is one of the most solid in the Premiership.

George Skivington - One of Wasps most consistent players and an England Saxon, mullered for not playing like an experienced Tigers lock, when he isn't one and hasn't had one alongside him.

Calum Green - As above and is only 20 years of age, will be a good player for Tigers I have no doubt.

Thomas Waldrom - May take longer than 2 games to settle into his new surroundings one would have thought.

Ben Woods - There weren't too many complaints last season and the team missed him when he was injured but he's :censored: now apparently because he's had a couple of bad games.

George Chuter - Is being blamed for the inexperience of the locks in front of him and another player who is on the wane despite his consistent performances last season. Scrummaged well on sat.

Jeremy Staunton - People still get upset because he doesn't play like Dan Carter but he kicked 7/7 kicks (none of which were straightforward) which is a pretty good ratio - but we won't mention that.

I'm not saying don't criticise players but let's keep things in perspective - we've played two games, one of which we won, gaining 5 points in the process and we lost at FG where we always lose - as do most teams. The team has played poorly but not as badly as some are making out.

P.S. Why has no-one mentioned of the performance of Alesana Tuilagi? He cost us a try, failed to put pressure on their 10 and generally did a lot of standing around - or is he an untouchable?
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mass hysteria - the antidote

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

POSTIGER wrote:P.S. Why has no-one mentioned of the performance of Alesana Tuilagi? He cost us a try, failed to put pressure on their 10 and generally did a lot of standing around - or is he an untouchable?
When did he cost a try? when Staunton threw the ball 5 feet above his head?
If the winger puts pressure on the flyhalf all it needs is quick hands and then there's an overlap and a try

how many wingers do you see putting pressure on the 10, this is the flankers job!
fatprop
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by fatprop »

Couldn't agree more except Murphy seems to be having a few too many off day's :smt012 Tuilagi a lot of the time just like that other winger that we let go to wasp's good going forward but not backwards in defence. :smt013
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

AT had a poor game and was largely anonymous last Saturday. He cost us a try by coming out of the line and failing to make any tackle for the Chiefs third try.

AA is an average 12 with little or no kicking game.

Can't see BW ever being an out and out 7, he's more a 6.

GM is class so hopefully he will eliminate his mistakes quickly.

GS has been dropped in at the deep end but is trying his best, lineout should improve when we have Deacs or Parling back.

JS is a steady player, nothing else. What you see is what you get.

All just IMO, of course.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

it was a 2 on 1 and he went for the intercept, had it come off he'd have been in under the posts at the other end for a 14 point swing.

Had he committed further to the tackle the ball would have been shipped to the unmarked man on the wing.

Going for the intercept could only have lead to a benefit, anything else still results in 7 points to Exeter
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

POSTIGER wrote:I appreciate that everyone has their opinions and that some people are convinced that our thoroughly disastrous bonus point win was just the start of our inevitable and terminal decline.

However, I would like to offer an alternative view to some of the more contentious points I see have been made elsewhere on the forum.

Geordan Murphy - Had an off day, perhaps a little too soon to write off one of the best full-backs and captains in the Northern Hemisphere.

Antony Allen - People are making far too much of his supposed defensive deficiencies and has rarely let Tigers down in his career here so far. His combination with Dan Hipkiss is one of the most solid in the Premiership.

George Skivington - One of Wasps most consistent players and an England Saxon, mullered for not playing like an experienced Tigers lock, when he isn't one and hasn't had one alongside him.

Calum Green - As above and is only 20 years of age, will be a good player for Tigers I have no doubt.

Thomas Waldrom - May take longer than 2 games to settle into his new surroundings one would have thought.

Ben Woods - There weren't too many complaints last season and the team missed him when he was injured but he's :censored: now apparently because he's had a couple of bad games.

George Chuter - Is being blamed for the inexperience of the locks in front of him and another player who is on the wane despite his consistent performances last season. Scrummaged well on sat.

Jeremy Staunton - People still get upset because he doesn't play like Dan Carter but he kicked 7/7 kicks (none of which were straightforward) which is a pretty good ratio - but we won't mention that.

I'm not saying don't criticise players but let's keep things in perspective - we've played two games, one of which we won, gaining 5 points in the process and we lost at FG where we always lose - as do most teams. The team has played poorly but not as badly as some are making out.

P.S. Why has no-one mentioned of the performance of Alesana Tuilagi? He cost us a try, failed to put pressure on their 10 and generally did a lot of standing around - or is he an untouchable?
Geordan Murphy - Had an off day. Unfortunately GM has not had an ON day. Munster Cork - mare, Leinster - not much better, Saints - the same and now Exeter. Just don't know what is troubling the man?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:When did he cost a try?
When he failed to tackle the man and went for the unlikely intercept.
Still keeping the faith!
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Hmmm. Perhaps you should try the homoeopathic approach to curing mass hysteria, viz:

Geordan Murphy - finished! Why does Cockers keep picking him? Just because he's club captain is no excuse.

Anthony Allen - not so much finished as never started. We used to have Pat Howard, you know.

George Skivington - from Wasps. Nuff said.

Calum Green - too young and green.

George Chuter - too old.

Jeremy Staunton - the first-born son of Beelzebub, sent to the upper levels to torment Tigers fans.

If that doesn't work, dilute it several million times and sell it as a hysteria remedy. :smt023
Uhtred

Post by Uhtred »

To think I used to consider myself negative... Even ignoring the rest of the :censored: you spouted the fact that you wrote off a guy because he's a former Wasps player is enough to realise you're full of :censored:.

Honestly, I hope no one allows any sharp implements near you. Christ knows what you'd use them for if the breeze blew too strongly, too lightly or :censored: knows what other catastrophe could possibly hit.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Uhtred wrote:To think I used to consider myself negative... Even ignoring the rest of the :censored: you spouted the fact that you wrote off a guy because he's a former Wasps player is enough to realise you're full of :censored:.

Honestly, I hope no one allows any sharp implements near you. Christ knows what you'd use them for if the breeze blew too strongly, too lightly or :censored: knows what other catastrophe could possibly hit.

There writes a man for whom irony is something you use to take creases out of your shirt.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bill W (2) wrote:
Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:When did he cost a try?
When he failed to tackle the man and went for the unlikely intercept.
It was a 2 on 1 and he went for the intercept, had it come off he'd have been in under the posts at the other end for a 14 point swing.

Had he committed further to the tackle the ball would have been shipped to the unmarked man on the wing.

Going for the intercept could only have lead to a benefit, anything else still results in 7 points to Exeter
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Who's Rony?

All together now:

I'm Rony!!!!

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Still keeping the faith!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

It seems we really need a sarcasm smiley...
agoodetiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by agoodetiger »

Tiger_in_Birmingam are you seriously saying that if AT had hit Foster he would have still got the ball to the winger? I think not and would you suggest you watch it again, closely.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

agoodetiger wrote:Tiger_in_Birmingam are you seriously saying that if AT had hit Foster he would have still got the ball to the winger? I think not and would you suggest you watch it again, closely.
And if he had would the winger have caught it? And beaten the
in coming cover????

At best AT made the wrong decision. At worst he chickenned out.
Still keeping the faith!