Heather Mills and LOROS.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Heather Mills and LOROS.

Post by jack »

Whatever the ins and outs of this Miss Mills was always surely a long shot to raise a stack of cash?
Tigers - true Champions!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I agree that it is likely that a cancellation fee would create more bad publicity that it is worth.

However, I have first hand experience of a charity booking a prime venue on a prime date, thereby denying everyone else of that venue, and then cancelling late in the day.

This was annoying for other organisations that had wanted to book the venue and annoying for the venue's committee who'd waved away all those organisations and were left with an empty venue.

The term "Charitable Organisation" does not mean "free of normal commercial obligations".
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Totally agree with Kinny.

Since the problem, clearly, was their unwise choice of speaker, did they leave it to late to book an alternative? Perhaps Peter Wheeler, Richard Cockerill or even Dean Richards, Martin Johnson, Austin Healey and Ben Kay could have stepped in? Or all eight of them?
Still keeping the faith!
palletman

Post by palletman »

I have avoided replying until the thread has about run its lot! I posted on this forum this topic because I felt that for what ever reason Heather Mills was chosen to speak, We, the supporters, MIGHT try and avoid LOROS being charged a fee. Either by getting the club to agree or by US donating monies etc.

LOROS is a brilliant place, and i wonder if some of the knockers on this forum have ever been near the place? If you have you should know where i am coming from. If not why not go and offer your help if only with the fund raising side of things. I respect ALL of you to have views and thoughts etc. What i do not accept is the way some people question why this topic was posted on this forum. If it was wrong why was it not closed, removed and started somewhere else?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

When I lived in Leicester I regularily supported LOROS,no one would not give them support for their fine work.
My point was it should be on the chit-chat forum where it would stay nearer the top of the forum for longer due to less topics and could be debated away from the sporting side.That was not the concensus,that's fine,I asked a question that's all,didn't criticise anyone,just asked a question.
For what it's worth it's a shame Tigers or the forum couldn't support LOROS more formally(that's if we don't already).
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

captain_insaino wrote:What is loros? :smt017
And who is Heather Mills?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

palletman wrote:LOROS is a brilliant place, and i wonder if some of the knockers on this forum have ever been near the place? If you have you should know where i am coming from. If not why not go and offer your help if only with the fund raising side of things. I respect ALL of you to have views and thoughts etc. What i do not accept is the way some people question why this topic was posted on this forum. If it was wrong why was it not closed, removed and started somewhere else?
1) In my opinion, there is no reason why this topic shouldn't be on the rugby form. It's about the Tigers facilities and sits alongside the catering feedback, the new stand, etc.

2) There is a similar charity up here that supports a place where one of my close relatives spent her last days and they all deserve massive support.

3) I personally think it would be a shame, and damaging all round, if a cancellation fee was charged.

But I do think that charities need to be careful sometimes. Imagine if they'd booked Cherie Blair. She'd want about 10 grand for not turning up.
palletman

Post by palletman »

Kini, have to thank you for the content of your reply. I know we had a few words once but that is long in the past. I posted to this forum for exactly the reasons stated. Hopefully bringing it into the open will help not just Loros but all other places like them.

The forum is called Fans Forum. Thats what we are, always have been always will be!

Got to say you made me laugh mentioning Cherie.You really are having a laugh,
have a good season and thanks again.
AD.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Have any of the trustees of LOROS resigned over their dumb decision to invite Heather Mills as a fund raising speaker?

Why are the sponsors of the event (who presumably stupidly agreed to the choice) not footing the cancellation charges?

This has absolutely nothing to do with how worthy LORUS is as a charity and how excellent its work is.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions.
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Heather Mills may have been just a round peg in a square hole. I.e. popular in some circles but not with people who might go to a charity do at WR.

She gets so much tabloid and tv publicity that there are presumably people out there who would pay money to see her, in a different venue that probably attracts more of the "facebook generation" rather than grumpy old rugby fans like us.

After all, the utterly talentless Katy Price outsells nearly all proper authors, has a successful range of pink riding gear (ye gads), and attracts lots of publicity. Heaven knows who these people are that like her, but it's hard for us old curmudgeons to know in advance who's going to attract a big audience, or any audience at all.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote:it's hard for us old curmudgeons to know in advance who's going to attract a big audience, or any audience at all.
I doubt if Katy Price would have attracted much of an audinece at a charity bash at Welford Road either - although likely more than Heather Mills.

This old curmudgeon would have asked those who normally attend such functions.
Still keeping the faith!