Team v Northampton

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Team v Northampton

Post by Darc Tiger »

Who would you drop from the squad for Billy?

Probably only Staunton. But he is established in that 22 shirt, and even he has looked sharp in preseason.

He (Billy) will get his chance during the internationals and if we have an injury to Flood, Jezza or a centre or 2. And if he impresses, he will go on from there.
Last edited by Darc Tiger on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

I agree Bluntiger, my fear is that if Myler and Geraghty have the same on-off season as last year then i could see one or both on the way out and Billy heading down the M1 or even Mr Key and Mr Back knocking on the door if they have a good year.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

From his rare appearances I would say Billy is not a good enough controller/kicker to play at 10.

Too unwilling to take contact to play at 13 so that leaves him competing at 12 with Allen who has been consistently good for us.

Seeing as Manu seems to be being developed primarily as a wing and Mauger has left he will probably get games at some point.
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

tb1 i would disagree with your views on Manu as we signed 2 wingers and have named Hurrell in the squad so i feel they see Manu more as a 12/13 that can cover wing if needed, abit like Matt Smith (seemed to play Allen and Smith more as left and right rather than 12/13 at time last season).
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Darc Tiger wrote: And if he impresses, he will go on from there.
I doubt he will see it like that. He got his chance (only due to multiple injuries, infact he was the only remaining fit back we had) against Ospreys ... and he did impress with a 17-point MOTM performance. Played the next game against Viadana and was virtually not heard of again all season.

I am not on a 12T crusade, it is just two points.

I really do not know why we signed him back from Bedford. He came through our academy so we knew what he was all about so to sign him and not play him is just unfair.

Second, he is almost 22 and his time is now. Ben Youngs made his breakthrough at 19, Manu Tuilagi is 19, Callum Green is 20, Alex Goode at Saracens is 20 with a full season behind him ..... Tick Tock.

So if we don't think he is first team material, or mearly bench cover during the internationals, we should let him go and play somewhere else. My guess is that he will not find offers to play premiership rugby hard to find.
Always a Tiger
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

bluntiger wrote:
Darc Tiger wrote: And if he impresses, he will go on from there.
I doubt he will see it like that. He got his chance (only due to multiple injuries, infact he was the only remaining fit back we had) against Ospreys ... and he did impress with a 17-point MOTM performance. Played the next game against Viadana and was virtually not heard of again all season.

I am not on a 12T crusade, it is just two points.

I really do not know why we signed him back from Bedford. He came through our academy so we knew what he was all about so to sign him and not play him is just unfair.

Second, he is almost 22 and his time is now. Ben Youngs made his breakthrough at 19, Manu Tuilagi is 19, Callum Green is 20, Alex Goode at Saracens is 20 with a full season behind him ..... Tick Tock.

So if we don't think he is first team material, or mearly bench cover during the internationals, we should let him go and play somewhere else. My guess is that he will not find offers to play premiership rugby hard to find.
You make it sound as if he is some sort of slave.

Billy is a professional contracted to Leicester Tigers. He was not forced or coerced into this contract.

If Billy decides he is better suited elsewhere then at the end of his contract he can leave. As it is he is cover for the first team and there is no reason to let him go.

It is RC's decision whether to play him or not and RC should in no way feel obligated to pick a player he perceives as worse than other options just because it is in the eyes of some "unfair".
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Well to be honest, not many saw him as anything too special until the 08/09 season at Bedford. So is a year or 2 behind Youngs and Manu, who have burst onto the scene as teenagers from the academy, whereas Billy was dropped to Bedford for a while.

He got the 'Ben Youngs ease him into it' routine last season, and it hasnt done Ben any harm. The only difference is he got thrown in the deep end early on in a big match, performed very well in expectional circumstances, and made a name for himself. So fans were crying to see more, but Cockers stuck to his guns, and kept him well grounded.

Also, he has been shown to blow hot and cold a lot, when he has played. He clearly has the build, talent and the skill, but often tries to hard, makes the odd lapse in judgement or wrong move. A lot like Youngs in previous seasons, and the beginning of last.

And anyway, for Christ's sake its only the first game! So get off your panic buttons for now eh?! :smt039
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

tb1 wrote:You make it sound as if he is some sort of slave......

It is RC's decision whether to play him or not and RC should in no way feel obligated to pick a player he perceives as worse than other options just because it is in the eyes of some "unfair".
I didn't mention slavery .. you did. No Christian Ronaldo here.

Neither did I mention that his non-selection was unfair .. you did. In fact, to quote my original post:

'it seems likely to be destined that he just doesn't fit at Leicester for whatever reason and we are not behind the scenes so we do not know said reason'

And, please do not state the blindingly obvious. Of course he is a profession and he is contracted. And of course RC picks the team. Did you think people didn't realise these things and needed them pointed out?
Always a Tiger
Uhtred

Post by Uhtred »

Ah the season has well and truly started now - the Billy crusade has started in earnest!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Also, didnt Twelvetrees get injured soon after the Viadana game with an ankle injury that kept him out of the squad for quite a while?

And there was hardly any changing in the team after we entered 2010. Was always going to be hard for him to break into the team, after having to come back from that. He got a few LV cup games, and the odd bench appearance, and good showings in the A-League, and not even the previous years saviour, Vesty, could break into the first team again.

The Billy Crusade did get a bit over the top last year I feel.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Darc Tiger wrote:Also, didnt Twelvetrees get injured soon after the Viadana game with an ankle injury that kept him out of the squad for quite a while?

And there was hardly any changing in the team after we entered 2010. Was always going to be hard for him to break into the team, after having to come back from that. He got a few LV cup games, and the odd bench appearance, and good showings in the A-League, and not even the previous years saviour, Vesty, could break into the first team again.

The Billy Crusade did get a bit over the top last year I feel.
Dont let mere facts get in the way.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

bluntiger wrote:
Neither did I mention that his non-selection was unfair
bluntiger wrote:
to sign him and not play him is just unfair.
Oops.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

My thoughts would normally be that its at franklins and it's the first game,don't expect to win it and it won't matter.
This year is different,don't know why,just fancy some fireworks,I don't think it will be close,we either lose by more than seven or more likely WIN by more than seven.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

I know what you mean, 'burnie !

Normally when we have crucial positions out through injury, like last year I feel nervous, but I'm pretty buoyant about Calum and George and Thomas showing up against Saints !

They might JUST be fantastic.

Not sure Saints will contribute deliberately to a running try-fest at a home derby with us, but it may be a spectacle anyway !
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

A little bit nervous about the trip to FG but quietly optimistic Tigers will nick the win.

Mrs Salty Jack Tar has opted for shopping in Northampton on this occasion as, by her own admission, Tigers never do well when she goes to their away games ...................... portends well methinks !!.

:smt045 :smt045 :smt045
Sponsorship deals may come and go but the CRUMBIE stand will always remain.