Tigers banned from Tweeting

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Re: Tigers banned from Tweeting

Post by Rizzo »

I don't see why it is considered wrong or whatever, in business you do not give away information to potential rivals, it's called occupational confidentiality. Tigers (and rugby generally) is a business situation these days, so the same rules should apply.

And it's been well documented that generally a number of people have tweeted or Facebooked information or complaints about their job or co-workers/bosses and have been disciplined or sacked for it.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
jen in the mountains

Post by jen in the mountains »

The ban doesn't stop leicesterrugby updating the score for the Leicester vs Leinster game by tweets. A bit of an over-reaction here.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jen in the mountains wrote:The ban doesn't stop leicesterrugby updating the score for the Leicester vs Leinster game by tweets. A bit of an over-reaction here.
:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Updating scores for a game is not giving away potentially useful information to rival teams. And it's the players who are allegedly banned from tweeting, not the communications guys.
Demelza - another Mother
nick the dig

Post by nick the dig »

It may be that it could be prejudicial to the actions of "The Management" or a conflict of interest. maybe not in this instance, but.....
I can understand that sometimes you have to nip something in the bud. Cockers has a great way of letting the squad know just what is expected!
i'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Think banning is a bit OTT. Some education on what (not) to discuss would be better. As other say, these things can be useful tools in engaging with the supporters - I always look forward to Chutes media dabblings for example...
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I think the line is that the players still use twitter etc for personal stuff but they are not allowed to talk about inside club information or injuries etc. The phrase I recall was "banned from tweeting about Leicester Tigers" - not banned from social media completely.
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I work in IT where everyone has 24/7 access to email, tinterweb etc.

You'd be surprised how many times people get into trouble because they are angry or drunk or both and decide to fire off an email either to their boss, or about their boss, and get sacked.

It's bad enough if you're a Java Developer who hates his boss and has had a few beers on the way home.

If you're a nationally known sportsman and you can instantly twit a sizeable chunk of people, I think it's a dangerous tool.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

But Kinny - as you point out - everyone has access to this stuff, so trying to ban its use is not the answer.

Better to emphasise to the individual player that they must take responsibility for their output - but under clear guidance from the club as to what is acceptable.

The quote from Cockers is not clear as to what the club wants - a total ban or just about the rugby side of things :

"He is banned from Tweeting.
None of our players will be Tweeting or Facebooking anything about Leicester Rugby Club ever again."

So which is it ? :smt017
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

Jay C wrote:But Kinny - as you point out - everyone has access to this stuff, so trying to ban its use is not the answer.

Better to emphasise to the individual player that they must take responsibility for their output - but under clear guidance from the club as to what is acceptable.

The quote from Cockers is not clear as to what the club wants - a total ban or just about the rugby side of things :

None of our players will be Tweeting or Facebooking anything about Leicester Rugby Club ever again."

So which is it ? :smt017
I would like to think the Tigers' management have only banned the players from releasing information relating to the rugby side of things and not personal tweeting. It must be extremely difficult in this day and age to impose a total "twitter" ban on anyone as it would probably be seen as breaching one's "human rights".

There have certainly been some tweet exchanges since the announcement of the ban which would indicate that personal tweets may still be in order.
Sponsorship deals may come and go but the CRUMBIE stand will always remain.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Jay C wrote:The quote from Cockers is not clear as to what the club wants - a total ban or just about the rugby side of things :

So which is it ?
I think its pretty clear that we are talking about a 'Leicester Rugby' ban.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

If a player shoots his mouth off in the pub, in the chip shop or to the taxi driver, even if it gets relayed on here the player can deny it.

Put it on twitter, facebook etc and it is in the public domain - there is no hiding. Worse than telling a journo!!!!
Still keeping the faith!
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Kinoulton wrote:I think it's a dangerous tool.
Kinny! Are you calling Mr Crane a dangerous tool? I'm tweeting his mum right now...she'll break your ankles.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Should switch the "i" for an "a" and it would be about right. :smt012
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 21,00.html

Seems he will have lots of time to tweet away now,trust he's back soon.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.